Is this a good buy?

Good luck and hope all goes well, and will be interesting hear any feedback :+1:

I have Apple products, all of which are now a few years old but still appear to be going strong, but there will come a day when they do finally give up, so always interesting to hear about potential alternatives when the time comes :smiley:

You will. :smiley:

3 Likes

I actually bought that tablet last year for my mom! Let me tell you, it was a steal! She uses it for streaming movies and playing games, and it works like a charm. The battery life is pretty decent too, and it comes with a case, keyboard, and mouse, which is a bonus. Definitely a good buy, especially for the price. I’d say go for it!

1 Like

Good to know. gone for it. :smiley:

Received it today, a couple of days early and done all the unpacking and fired it up to make sure the battery is charged (it was) but while I was doing my preliminary familiarisation I noticed that one small cable is missing from the pack.

There is a longer cable which connects from the mains to both the tablet and the keyboard, but obviously not both at the same time. On looking at the spec I see that there were supposed to be 2 cables. The missing one is an OTG adapter.

I have no idea what this is or what it is for and if it is vital or not, but I must say that I am a bit surprised that I can’t plug in both the tablet and the keyboard at the same time. I will email Amazon and the vendor in the morning but just want to know what I am talking about before I do.

1 Like

OTG adapter is typically for plugging in something like a memory stick. Are you sure it’s meant to be included, often it’s an extra.

The keyboard is a Bluetooth keyboard and the otg is for the bluetooth dongle for the mouse and as stated can be used for a memory stick or hard drive, on mine anyway.

1 Like

You beat me to it, it is needed to connect the mouse receiver to the tablet, so I do need it. Although I have already searched the whole package I will do so again thoroughly and email later or first thing in the morning.

Thanks for the quick replies both. :smiley:

It doesn’t have Bluetooth built in? I think that would have put me off right there.

I haven’t come across one at this price that has the mouse without a dongle, they are all kits built up from the basic tablet.
It has a Bluetooth keyboard but the mouse has a dongle and they are cheap anyway.

If it’s just the mouse that is not Bluetooth and needs a dongle then that would be irritating but not really a deal breaker as Bluetooth mice are ten a penny.

2 Likes

Oh no doubt, just the description of it as a Bluetooth dongle took me to the conclusion that it doesn’t have Bluetooth but I guess it could be some other wireless protocol.

I have a Dell XPS 18, i7 18.4" tablet which cost around £1k and has a Bluetooth keyboard and dongle mouse, so it’s not unusual for that.

Well I was preparing to send off 2 emails to ask for the missing OTG cable to be sent asap as one of the resaons that I went with this was the mouse.

But first I searched all the stuff that came with it and found it. It is not a cable but just a very small adapter that connects the mouse receiver to the charging port of the tablet.

So panic over and I can set about setting it up and finding out all about it tomorrow. Thanks for all the kind advice and helpful information. More later when I get my head around it. :joy:

5 Likes

Would you believe it, I went to the shops this morning and forgot to put AAA batteries on the list, the ones for the mouse, so the setting up will have to wait till this afternoon. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Use the touchscreen as it has big icons or use the otg cable and a usb mouse if you have a spare for your pc.

I’ll check out the touchscreen, though I hate such things, too clumsy and the greasy marks on the screen. I have 2 other mouses, one is empty of batteries and the other takes AAs. Shops open at 2.30, I’ll just have to go back again.

Two thoughts come to mind.

First I’d check if the mouse supports Bluetooth natively - probably not since *really* cheap devices tend to not cost enough to be able to cover the licence fees so they just use a generic 2.4GHz connection and need a dongle. I suspect that this will be the case here but Bluetooth mice also sometimes come with a USB Bluetooth dongle anyway. It is almost certain that the tablet has Bluetooth itself so might  not need the dongle.

Secondly - having the dongle plugged in will mean you can’t use the mouse and charge the tablet - in which case native Bluetooth mice are not all tat expensive - eg:

https://www.amazon.fr/Ganekihedy-Bluetooth-rechargeable-silencieuse-dordinateur/dp/B0CFTZY7LB/ref=sr_1_119

I’m amazed that you don’t have a stock. I always buy a big bunch of AAs and AAAs when they’re on sale on Amazon.

It has Bluetooth 5.0, the keyboard is Bluetooth.
I use the touchscreen but my wife uses one of these as we had a few lying around.