Is this Macron story in the news in France?

They were discussing it in the local shop yesterday and I saw it on the news here, so I would say yes, but I didn’t watch much TV yesterday so others might know more.

1 Like

@vero

Considering how strict my teacher son has to be with religious items,clothing, symbols and gesticulations etc I think it was a very bad move by the head of state when religion should not be publicised in any form or way as is the rule.

1 Like

It is a very very bad thing to do, he had no business doing it at all and certainly not like that. He can do what he likes off duty in his private apartments away from view. Idiot. No idea what real people have to say as have been in bed all week.

I expect all civil servants will now be targeted as Zionist sympathisers by people looking for any excuse.

Edited to add will we now see a crèche at the Elysée and will he be roasting a sheep in the courtyard for 'Id al-Azha? He shouldn’t do anything of the sort. He can have meetings with the GR and the GI and cardinals and pastors and gurus and whoever but not join in with anything that looks like practising.

9 Likes

What’s your view on all the Christmas trees etc in the Palais de l’Élysée etcétéra

1 Like

Christmas trees aren’t religious though

1 Like

At times like these it’s always useful to remember what the State says about laïcité:

As usual, there’s a strong whiff of hypocrisy (as @Wozza points out).

That said, I think Macron was wrong to bring a religious ceremony into the Elysée Palace, because it’s a government building. I would hope the atheists would have had no objection to his taking part in that ceremony in a synagogue or, if the mood took him, something similar in a church or mosque or wherever.

3 Likes

I think if he does such things he needs to go to all those places you mention plus a few temples gurdwaras etc.

2 Likes

Then he’d have no time to do anything else … I see your cunning plan :rofl:

The thing is that Christians use them to celebrate the (alleged) birth of (the jewish baby) Jesus, and surround them with cribs and angels. You don’t tend to find Christmas trees in Muslim or Jewish homes.

So whilst not as obvious as hanging a cross on one’s front door it is as much a christian symbol to me as a Hanukah candle is a jewish one. Neither should be in the Élysée Palace.

On a diversion I was shocked to learn that députés can vape in the Assemblé as it is not a public building. How is this possible as well?

3 Likes

More pagan than christian, pagans would bring fir trees into their homes at Yuletide because it represented everlasting life and fertility.
We have always had christmas trees and I haven’t a religious or christian bone in my body :wink:

9 Likes

Really. No religious connotation?
The answer to this laïc conundrum is in the first word. « Christmas » :christmas_tree:

1 Like

In origin I guess, but just about every church I see has a Christmas tree. This is from Church of Engkand website

1 Like

Ha, but not to be confused with un sapin de noel :christmas_tree::santa: ça doit être un arbre de laïcité de la france :christmas_tree::fr:.
Orwell spent some time in France, maybe something rubbed off :thinking:

2 Likes

But a lot of people that I know aren’t in the least bit religious and have them :thinking:

No Christ in Christmas in France. Not for state things and Noël doesn’t have that connotation for us.

3 Likes

Must be a pretty bleak time then, all that spending and eating and partying and no purpose in it.

Being with family is purpose enough, you don’t need religion to do that :wink::roll_eyes:

1 Like