Is this Macron story in the news in France?

Absolutely. You can do that any time of the year.

It’s great that a (Christian) festival can give you the opportunity to do something so important.

2 Likes

It’s a holiday at the end of the year, the last one to celebrate with your family, for some of us it’s reason enough especially in France :wink:

1 Like

Aren’t most French public holidays based around the Chrustian calendar??

Yes for historical reasons, however, since 1905 we are an explicitly secular republic and the only reason those holidays still stand is habit.

1 Like

Christianity hijacked existing beliefs to help sell the product to the new audience. Christmas replaced the midwinter celebration, Easter the moon festival, the tripartite deity of God the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost made the new religion palatable to followers of pluralism

4 Likes

A very short sighted action.

And the unions…?

Sell, believe or be killed kind of selling?

Dates and festivals, rather than beliefs.

3 Likes

Decorating trees for Yuletide is an Old German/Saxon tradition as they used to worship woodland spirits etc.

The Christian church usurped many of the old pagan festivals and traditions as they knew the pesants wouldn’t sit still for the new Sky Pixie promoters telling them that all their traditions were now forbidden.

4 Likes

In the context of Macron he was a bit stupid doing what he did and thinking there wasn’t going to be any fall out from it, but it doesn’t really matter what the origins are of Christmas, it’s a time for families to be together and enjoy themselves, it about loved ones and friends, the religious part doesn’t get a second thought with me.
My wife has a theology degree, I have no time for religion, it has never been a problem with us as it is up to the individual what they believe in and as long as people don’t try to force those beliefs onto each other, it’s live and let live as far as I am concerned.
I drive her to church, take the dog for a long walk and pick her back up afterwards, win win and no clashing of beliefs occur and there never has.
People seem to go out of their way to find something to be offended by nowadays :slightly_frowning_face:

6 Likes

I disagree, the Muslim families in our village have sapins de Noël.

I was lucky enough to spend 8 hours on Tuesday, when I normally only work 2 hours :roll_eyes: , at a formation about laïcité , it was actually really good for me to really understand the concept.

5 Likes

No one wants to miss out on a party.

Good point. Having been brought up surrounded by Christmas I see a tree and think of dreary hymns, men in frock, and crosses.

Also good point. I need to peer into our neighbours’ front rooms…

1 Like

Oh Jane, sorry you feel like that - so different for me growing up. Midnight communion, the church packed with people happy and chatting, beautiful lights, the choir at the back of the church and that solo voice, unaccompanied, singing the first verse of Once in Royal David’s City. The church hushed as those first notes float through the air and the choir comes down the aisle. Then for the rest of the service everyone singing at the tops of their voices and the wonderful readings - each by a different member of the congregation. And that final reading: In the beginning was the Word, …
Just magical.
My father played the organ and on Christmas Day morning we used to go to the hospital and Dad would play on their small electric organ and we’d go from ward to ward singing carols and that brought such joy to everyone - patients and staff. Then home for a fabulous late Christmas lunch.

6 Likes

I amused myself as an undergraduate by learning it off by heart in Arabic, lovely. It starts fil bida’a kān al kalima, wa kān al kalima 'aind Allah, wa kān al kalima Allah. My transliteration may not be fab.

2 Likes

Strangely I love many sacred buildings /spaces, especially people singing a capella. One of my favorites

But my relationship with religion is fraught. I had to go to a boarding school at 16 and my parents failed to mention that I wasn’t really much of a Christian. And every morning started with a religious service in the Chapel where the 6 girls were surrounded by seven hundred 16 and 17 year old boys who knew when to stand and sit, and what and how to sing. It was a daily nightmare, and of course I couldn’t admit to not being Christian and having not a clue as to what was going on.

1 Like

I boarded from 4 so the daily ritual plus church on Sunday was compulsory in term time. I love a good sermon and loved reading the bible but nobody expected me to believe in it, I just had to know it.

As a child I hated Christmas Day falling on a Saturday or a Monday, as one had to go to Mass two mornings in a row,; whereas if it fell on a Sunday…

Yes, I believe it was Prince Albert and Queen Victoria who kicked off the (modern) fashion of having a Christmas tree in the house, at least in the UK, based on a German Lutheran tradition, which according to Wikipdia started in the 16th century.

(ETA: Wikipedia also says that Queen Charlotte, wife of George III was the first to have a Christmas tree, though I don’t think the habit took off until Vic and Bert made it popular).

Not sure if France followed Britain’s lead or got the idea direct from Germany.

Prior to that people used to hang up bunches of holly and ivy (hence the Xmas carol)

3 Likes