Is this text legitimate or a scam?

I’m away at sea at the moment but received this sms. Is it legit or not?
I’m having trouble looking up the telephone number they ask you to ring (to see if it is a legitimate number, let alone the link!)
The internet here at sea is not brilliant, hence difficulties trying to find out.

I’d say it’s a scam.

That web address doesn’t look like any CPAM/AMELI address I’ve ever seen, and I think 07 xx xx xx xx numbers are mobiles - and AMELI has never sent me a message from a mobile.

When you can, log in to your Ameli account directly (ie not using any links you may have received) and check your status there.

7 Likes

Thanks Brian! I’ll see if I can log into Ameli.

I suppose it is with most sms or text links - never click on them just in case.

Thanks again.

3 Likes

I agree - surely a scam…
Ameli don’t send messages with a threat of suspension.

3 Likes

You can see the same scam sms message here…

4 Likes

The clues were
lack of your name
hyphens in the URL

And it’s always useful to be reminded

3 Likes

And the spelling mistake in ‘assurance’ is rather a giveaway.

I suspect I’m being dense but what is the spelling mistake, please?

@LollyS
On reading your screenshot… I thought I’d investigate and when I started to type “assurance -maladie -enligne.fr” (but I typed it without the spaces before each hyphen, of course)
my Computer Security software came up with the following…

and I swiftly clicked on Back to Safety… :wink:

2 Likes

Is this an exam question ? Absolutely a scumbag scam for all the reasons above.

Recent similar posts suggest some training for some forumites on identifying phishing Texts / emails / scams might assist. e.g. A quick google, not recommending anything).

however a public interest anti phishing training (simulator) programme does seem called for and could be an interesting project :slight_smile:

Free Phishing Email IQ Test by PhishingBox.

I’m glad you asked… I was wondering the same :woozy_face:

@_Brian , @Gareth

In @Bonzocat’s SMS there’s [quote=“Bonzocat, post:5, topic:45892, full:true”]
You can see the same scam sms message here…

[/quote]

There’s only one s in assurance in that scammy message link

1 Like

Ah - thank you! I had only read Lolly’s message in full and the scammers seem to have corrected their spelling for that version.

2 Likes

I’ve said this before elsewhere about scam emails which I receive from time to time. I recognise scam emails now, but I test them occasionally to verify if I have in fact received a scam email.

I copy and paste the first sentence, or a short paragraph, from the scam email and paste it into a browser. Low and behold various scam verification websites pop up, and indeed they are scams.

I typed the first paragraph of LollyS’s Ameli message into my Chrome browser and what popped up was the Ameli Forum link, leading to Vero’s spotting of the misspelling of assurance, with one ‘s’.

But you need a computer to do this. Not sure if a smartphone can do it

3 Likes

I have never been sent a letter by e mail from Ameli, or the bank.
They always send an e mail to notify me there is a message for me and I need to log on to my account to read it.

2 Likes

Thanks Stella!

Total Scam.

Wondering if anyone has taken the test? Doesn’t look like anyone clicked. I got 10 out of 10 (right). It’s pretty basic, but hey… practice?

After basic would come deep fake AI training :slight_smile:

I had a go. I thought that the examples they offered were very easy to spot.

Found 3 email scams in the inbox this morning. One from the Gendarmerie, one from Amazon and a third from SG Bank. Didn’t test them as they were obvious to me.

I so wish I could confront perpetrators such as these and give them hell. But sadly, I can’t.

1 Like