Is this text legitimate or a scam?

The gendarmerie deliver a convocation in person toyour post box or front door, I know from experience. They do not send it by email. Looking at that false email, why would a french government authority have a .com in their email address?

BTConnect no less, must be legit :rofl:

Ah, but the Gengarmerie Nationale (sic) have les méthods differents…

3 Likes

The latest one we keep getting is parcel notifications by SMS…which we haven’t ordered. Quite convincing though if you were waiting for a parcel. Always trying to make you pay extra duty or re-delivery, or just phishing for your private info. So many scammers out there…beware.

2 Likes

And it says GENGARMERIE not GENDARMERIE.

Oops that’ll teach me to read everything before I answer.

2 Likes

You are right about it being convincing. I was waiting for a parcel and I received a message that had me wondering as it was very convincing but my suspicious nature made me hesitate. At that precise moment, I heard a vehicle in the drive and it was the DHL delivery, so I was ‘saved’ but it was very close.

1 Like

Wouldn’t that be the railway police? :smiley:

2 Likes

Off topic but still can be a scam. Calendars! Last night at approx 19.45h there was a knock at my door. It was dark and I cannot see who is at the door when the shutters are down but when I called out a voice said, pompiers. He proceeded to show me his receipt book and I voiced my concerns about bogus callers with so called pompiers calendars and he showed me his photo along with all his colleagues to put my mind at rest. He had a machine to take debit card payments too. So if you are concerned at bogus pompiers, ask to see the calendar and his/her photo in it.

1 Like

Good grief… no Knocker at my front door is getting our bankcard in their little machine… :roll_eyes:

If it’s not someone I know, I reply that I’ll drop by The Fire Station… and I’ve done just that… they’re happy with however I donate… cheque or cash. :+1:

That is why I got a professional receipt and only paid by cheque and shown his fizzog in the calendar or else it would have been different (I keep a pair of gardening shears near the door for odd trims outside, he would have gone home a soprano). My family in another commune had the bank card machine offered as well. but gave a chèque. The caserne that serves us here is a way out for me to get to at present, am driving a little further each time but have to keep it short.

Hahahaha I keep my ancient golf clubs by the door :wink:

St Andrews perchance :sunglasses: I used to love golf and was quite good at it, right up to I lost the fingers on my left hand, that made things interesting especially for anyone I was playing with :wink::laughing:

1 Like

My clubs are ancient but not royal :wink: though they have played that course as they were my granny’s, who was a student at St Andrews aeons ago. She played well, I’m rubbish.

I was thinking more Strathtyrum, Balgove or the Castle courses rather than the mega expensive main ones.

I think they were all more affordable in the 1930s, especially if you were a student. Mind you maybe as a woman you weren’t allowed to play everywhere. My granny was a great fencer and rider as well, not so much discrimination there, perhaps.

Edited because autocorrect outdid itself :roll_eyes: and I’ve only just noticed.

1 Like

I also have a full sized baseball bat from the US under the bed too and in my old house, the antique shotgun but no cartridges, an intruder wouldn’t have known that. All our guns were handed over to the local gendarmerie when I moved as I did not want them plus a couple of WW2 knives and bayonettes etc. Felt they could be used for bad things if wrong types got hold of them! People can’t be blamed for trying to protect themselves in this day and age when victims always come off worse than the criminals in the end.

1 Like

Many years ago OH and I lived in a 3 storey semi in Stockwell (pretty much the front line at the time). Our bedroom was at the top of the house and there was a spare bed room in the basement. I had a stinking cold and decided to sleep in the basement so as not to disturb OH. He slept with earplugs in to cut out the noise from the squat in the road behind us.
I woke to hear the sound of furtive footsteps overhead in our lounge and quickly realised it wasn’t OH but had to be an intruder. No point in calling out - OH would never hear me. And the intruder would assume he would have free access to the ground floor and basement. The only “weapon” at my disposal was an iron. So I got out of bed and stood behind the door of the bedroom with the iron in my hand and then realised how ridiculous that would be. So I decided the only thing I could do was make as much noise as possible to give him a chance to escape. Fortunately there was a radio by the bed, so put that on loudly, flushed the loo, went into the kitchen (also in the basement) turned on taps, filled the kettle - banging and crashing about - made a tea. Went back to bed with the telephone and kept the door open - I could see the stairs - and any sign of a foot coming down the stairs and I would have been dialling 999. Unfortunately I felt I couldn’t do so while he was standing right by the phone in the lounge as he would have heard the dialling. It took him 20 minutes to pluck up courage to flee. I prefer that solution to standing facing someone with a baseball bat or gun - loaded or not.
Mind you - the best deterrent? A Jack Russell terrier growling at your feet. My Mum lived with us in her final years and her JR. Large men offering to tarmac the drive would take a hasty step backwards seeing Toby at Mum’s feet.

I have two feet old iron stair rods under every bed and behind the front door, also they are secreted around the farm, we have lived in the countryside for a lot of our lives and my grandfather said to always be prepared, I have made sure my wife knows how to use them as well.

Looking round my house I have a good selection of “weapons” around me. As I can’t get a shed up yet because the land has not been levelled and cleaned, I keep pickaxes,gardenforks, rakes, hoes, huge UK shovels and other tools in the spare room. I 'd take my chance with any of them if someone got in but with only one main door and the rear windows higher than average, I would hear them and be ready to charge. Nanna used to leave mouse traps lying about and made sure she knew where they were.

Crikey. All you people tooled up for the apocalypse :dagger::hocho::gun::cricket_bat_and_ball:
I prefer not to worry about these things. Que sera sera.

1 Like