Is this the beginning of the end for the Brexit debacle?

No one “spouts” about 17 million people being upset. They are stating a fact that 17 million people voted to Leave the EU. Every person eligible to vote was given the chance to vote and this was the result. You should be more upset at people that could not be bothered to vote then maybe remain would have won.

2 Likes

If Brexit does not happen then i predict the next general election will have the lowest turn out ever.

2 Likes

Last year in April I stopped reading the news (online and print) for a month. I was more content and productive and started enjoying reading books again.

Right now it appears to be important to follow the Brexshit show. I will freely admit I am addicted to the news. Time to go cold turkey probably… easier said than done though!

2 Likes

Alberto Costa has just been sacked…

I am genuinely worried that I have a ‘news’ addiction. Is this a thing?
(I went to a party and somebody started passing a newspaper around, and just for a laugh I read a bit - it was just some soft celebrity gossip, but I soon hit the harder stuff - Guardian editorials, BBC factcheck, Paul Flinders’ posts on SurviveFrance…)

4 Likes

Just been in London and seen posters advising EU nationals to apply for settled status. :imp::imp:

Surely if they already live there, they are already settled? This could just be the Windrush mark II.

Absurd that Costa has been sacked! Strong cross party support for his amendment.

1 Like

:joy: where will it end?

1 Like

On the streets - still, the newspapers will come in handy there.

I have to admit I have started watching BBC Parliament! I must have a pretty bad case of the addiction!

2 Likes

The one man who has tried to do something decent for us and that bitch sacks him.
He had cross party support.
Let’s hope she is pushing her own self destruct button.

4 Likes

Hopefully there will still be enough backing his amendment.

3 Likes

Resigned not sacked, he had no choice as he broke parliamentary convention regarding amendments.

Voila!

If you have taken to reading about Brexit online it will be cold in your cardboard box! :grin::snowflake:

Reports seem unclear on this point - most say sacked, some say “effectively resigned” - so, errr, sacked.

1 Like

If No.10 says he wasn’t sacked that’s good enough for me.:wink:

Heather Stewart (The Guardian)

Downing Street has insisted that Alberto Costa was not been sacked as a parliamentary private secretary. “He resigned from the government,” the Number 10 spokesman said. The spokesman went on:

You will be aware that there is a longstanding convention that members of the government payroll, including PPSs, don’t table amendments to government bills. Clearly this is an issue that he feels very strongly about, and so he has chosen to resign.

The Costa amendment has been accepted by the Government without a vote.

2 Likes

It was a “breaking news” headline…both the…(I personally really dislike the daily fail) and the guardian reported at the same time…

He’s my mp for South Leicestershire…

I arrived here just as the U.K. voted to leave…at the time I was hugely preoccupied with the logistics of buying in Brittany and moving 3 Border Collies into the unknown…at the time I was surprised at the vote to leave but not unduly concerned…

My flutters of “anxiety” probably started when the Tory government escalated their no deal planning and suddenly more billions were available out of nowhere…I couldn’t help but think how those billions could be put to much better use…

For my own part…my mom voted remain and was hugely supportive and continues to be hugely supportive of my move here…and then it was really difficult for me to see her starting to worry about medicines…she’s insulin dependent…

I will sleep better now.

Corbyn has finally said that he will support a referendum…

But I think he is still luke warm about it - it stinks of him trying to avoid any more defections - as is also talking about general elections (again).

1 Like