Italy v England

Is the world ever going to let Southgate forget that his penalty was saved 24 years ago.

Give the man his due - he’s the first manager to have got us to the final FFS!

4 Likes

Apart from Alf Ramsey. :grinning: :grinning:

I think that I need a John Cleese style, Life of Brian “well, that goes without saying, doesn’t it”.

I meant to stick a qualifier in my post - “recent” “modern era”, something like that but somehow it got left out.

I’m no expert on football but isn’t UEFA different to FIFA?
Alf Ramsey guided England to victory in the 1966 World Cup…
references:
UEFA/FIFA Difference
Alf Ramsey

If so, perhaps @anon88169868 can be forgiven for his lack of qualifier…

you know where to send the cheque Paul :wink:

1 Like

FIFA is far more corrupt, World Cup in Qatar ffs​:wink::shushing_face:

Difficult to judge where to place this…

2 Likes

Fact remains though that Boris has at least won something and Gareth hasn’t.

You don’t count respect?

1 Like

by cheating, lying and being an all round asshole - if that’s what counts in your book Peter, I’m surprised.

No, not a lot of respect for Boris.

It obviously counted for 13966454 people who voted for him which doesn’t say a lot about the UK voters…

Did Boris really win the election for the Tories Peter or could they have put anyone against Corbyn?

You are confusing France with the UK Peter.
People in the UK do not vote for a Prime Minister, they vote for a Parliamentary representative to attend the Palace of Westminster on their behalf whereas in France, as well you know, the populous vote for the President of their choice who must achieve more than 50% of the vote in order to be elected - either in the first round or in the head to head run off in the second.

I didn’t think there were that many voters in his constituency of Uxbridge and South Ruislip - Electorate:71,954 (December 2010)

2 Likes

The number of UK voters who voted for Johnson and the rest of the Bullingdon Club was, in my view, a result of the way the UK - specifically, English - press has declined over the last 50 years.
The majority of the UK population get their ‘news’ from populist, lowest-common-denominator tabloids, owned by (almost entirely non-UK domiciled) billionaires with vested interests. They have been fed lies for decades and Johnson’s government is the result.

1 Like

Maybe, but he’s the PM and Corbyn isn’t.

1 Like

The Tories could have put the corpse of Jimmy Savile, reanimated by the vilest necromancy possible, up as leader and Corbyn’s Momentum dominated Labour Party would still have got battered.

2 Likes

Hmmm…statistically the current UK government are in a position of almost unassailable power despite only having received the votes of around 43% of those that could be bothered to cast one.
Sadly this has been the case for almost all UK administrations of the modern age. Until the UK has a proportional voting system & an elected second chamber it will continue to slide further down the pan…

2 Likes

…and maybe compulsory voting, possibly online?

1 Like

Not in my lifetime…