It's a horrible colour and lethally slippery

The slip factor is secondary to the hideous look of the thing. Otherwise I could do as Stella suggests and just get a rubber mat.

It comes from the era where shades of brown were very popular in FR. My kitchen sink is brown. The sink in the kitchen of the rental I was in last year - brown. My floor tiles throughout - well toasted toast. The kitchen cabs here - stick-on oak wood-effect brown vinyl. Ghastly.

I don’t know if the FR went thru’ an avocado phase, like the Brits in the 70’s … almost as bad.

3 Likes

I must admit, had it not been that the drain was rather small, and covered, I’d have enquired whether you were certain it was a shower as I have seen very similar devices in aires up and down this great nation we live in, and I don’t think those are for showering… :laughing: :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

… what my mum used to call ‘a squatez vous’

1 Like

I looked at a lot of Italian houses before we settled on France. French bathrooms display exemplary taste compared to many Italian bathrooms. :crazy_face:

Electrical safety was also an interesting concept, but that’s another issue…

2 Likes

We have mosaics on the shower floor in two bathrooms and they are a nightmare to keep clean. Make sure there is a slight slope towards the plug hole. I recommend resisting white mosaics or white grouting - they quickly look grubby. Also, make sure you choose mosaics with a “gritty” surface rather than high polish - just too slippery.

1 Like

Its why I suggested mapei or similar epoxy products for adhesive and grout much better surface against staining.

1 Like

It is truly horrific! Right up there with my avocado sink! They then grouted the tiles in same colour to really set it off :rofl: :see_no_evil: I’ll get a picture of my joy! Can’t wait to change it! The good bit is the shower tray, thank the good lord, is white and a decent size!! I agree it is so bad worth a shot covering it. Those mosaic tiles are pretty forgiving.

What era is that ! It’s still wildly popular going by the amount of varying shades of brown in my 7 year old house when we moved in. Can’t get rid of the three different shades of brown in the kitchen units until we can afford a new one.

A friend of mine bought a house in Fencehouses in the North East. The bathroom had a sunken bath in bright red. The walls and floor were all black and the cieling had those small mirror tiles on them. Apparently it was previously a knocking shop (that’s the most polite way I can put it). She kept the bathroom exactly as it was.

2 Likes

did she buy it as a going concern?

7 Likes

Maybe a coat of PVA then levelling compound then tiles…?

Isn’t PVA a bit too easily affected by water?

1 Like

Checking, checking … a tiling compound co said “PVA! Noooooo!” Somebody who used it said “We did. Fab!”

And here, dear friends, is approximately what it will look like. I am pleased with the way the mat takes the curve from the surround down into the tray.

The improvement in appearance is monumentally big and massive, nah! :grinning:

A quick reminder of ‘before’

I am seriously considering the option to take the a/g to those ribs. I’d rather level up with some jollop than level down by grinding …

7 Likes

Absolutely not.
PVA breaks down and re-emulsifies. The liquid used in tile adhesives with waterproof properties is SBR.

2 Likes

The general drift in my research points to epoxy products.

There was a demo on the counter of my tile supplies shop in Brsl. It was a cardboard carton with a coating of some epoxy jollop all round - and contained several litres of water. 'Nuff said !

Cunning lot - the counter top was of course tiled - with a heating mat under! Very cosy.

1 Like

Absolutely yes epoxy is the way to go, used it on swimming pools, need I say more.

D’y think it could be used as a first layer, to bring the height up to an even level, then again with the tiles? As I say, I’d rather build up than grind down. Those ribs can’t be more than 3mm

For once Lidl had the ‘bargain’ shown in their weekly rag. I was in there like lightning …

Massive knee pads - €6.

1 Like

I would probably use a self levelling compound first. Levelling compounds are ultra stick and often with fibres depending on the build up thickness for levelling. Yes I would build up rater than grind down. See what the epoxy says as a max thickness its pricey so I have never used it for building up.

No - once dry it helps other mediums bond to a shiny surface. Its great stuff for example to use as a primer before painting kitchen tiles!