Jack Shepherd. Is he guilty?

All posts, like dinner parties, go off subject. That’s the way it is, we ALL have ‘diversified’ on various posts.

Frankly I for one wouldn’t want to see posts that were just aimed at a particular group, surely that’s not what SF is all about ?

1 Like

I didn’t think in the first place that this was a fit subject for SFN.
None of us were at the trial and really know anything apart from the media coverage.
If you see who started this thread it should have sounded warning bells.

1 Like

That’s not what I’m saying Ann. Call me odd (!) but I’m drawn to discussions by their title. It’s just really confusing (possibly only to me?) when the subject matter of the title bears no resemblance to the posts within the discussion. A bit like what I’ve just typed :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Possibly not Jane but it is a topical news story of general public interest - regardless of who started the discussion.

1 Like

Wouldn’t dream of calling you odd Simon, after all we are all entitled to our opinion :thinking:

3 Likes

Back to the subject then.

How does she know that?

Well she doesn’t but the witness that called 999 was convinced that at one point there was only one person in the boat, which could mean that Charlotte Brown had already been thrown out.

I do hope that the full facts will become known… whatever they may be… and whatever that might entail.

Any bereaved family, suffers terribly… and the truth (no matter what) is needed to help them IMO.

Likewise, the accused… the truth (no matter what) is needed… to ensure justice for him…

2 Likes

The thing is if Shepard had gone to court and stood in front of a good barrister with some proper questioning , he could have been tied in knots and ended up slipping up or even admitting something. Only two people were there that night neither were in court The jury convicted on what evidence they had

3 Likes

Despite the fact that he seems to be a sort of ‘Walter Mitty’ type, serial womaniser who think he’s James Bond…(.what on earth do they see in him ?),… I do have some misgivings about this verdict, because I strongly suspect that he has Asperger’s Syndrome…That would account for his general lack of awareness re the safety of somebody else & the feelings of the deceased family…
I think that ‘diagnosis’, should be taken into account but he is guilty, I feel. After all he took her out in the boat when they were, both drunk, without life-jackets, at night & allowed her, a complete novice to take the wheel of a boat that was not really river-worthy …Foolhardy & idiotic ! If it is true that when calling out for help, he only spoke about himself & didn’t attempt to save her…then that callousness, supports my theory, I feel. without a spell in prison, he will feel himself ‘vindicated’ & will carry on as before.
It needs to get through to him that he was at fault & he needs to change his ways…

Interesting mnemonic…Could apply to an awful lot of people in the art & design, fashion, music & theatrical fields…so is it a ‘disorder’ …?.
People don’t tend to have all of their true attributes on show, most of the time, so a think the ability to judge something like ‘shallowness’, for example, is particularly subjective…

Yes, nice to have some sort of face to put a name to …I would also like it if the departement came up under the name, …France is enormous & diverse & that would also help ‘flesh out’ who one is talking to/with…(I find myself often thinking, “I wonder where they are speaking from ?”)…

1 Like

A different way of dealing with such posts might be to (i) assume that ‘devil’s advocacy’ is a serious way of raising issues and encouraging their debate (I teach high school Philosophy, and the Socratic horsefly approach is a legitimate and productive discursive technique), and (ii) adopting the ad hominem attack/defence (“Why do you waste time with this agent provocateur?”) BOTH plays in to the hands of those that get described as such, AND renders out-of-bounds what may be interesting issues for debate on false grounds.

No, Teresa. This wasn’t a point of law, this was an ʾIn shāʾa llāh issue. At least a point of law can be argued without having your head chopped off :slight_smile: BTW what’s a dil?

Who indeed Nellie. Well put.

The “Speedboat killer”…, ta te ta… same sobriquet in the Torygraph. If the gutter press are unanimous then it’s time to sound alarm bells

In the news today Topshop fined £450000. after a queue barrier fell on a 10 year old. They admitted fault as it wasnt secured properly.
Why did it fall on her? - she was swinging on it.
This is why I didnt let my children run wild in shops.

1 Like

It saddens me to see that Darwinism gets penalized…

1 Like

The lovely man has got another four years for bottling a barman He’s such a charmer

4 Likes