Jack Shepherd. Is he guilty?

Trying to decipher what I’m looking at in that photo…it all looks a bit yukky and gruesome…and dead…!

What is it…??? x :smiley:

Its a young scrawny chicken that has had its throat cut…the blood is in the bowl on the left.

Its insides are , thankfully, out of the picture, but some of the bits have made a sort of grease that is in the bowl just behind whats left of the chicken !

Well you did ask !

Looks more like a rabbit than a chicken to me :cry:

Yuk…Was there a point to it…???

When I think of shamanism it’s about watching and observing life in all its myriad forms and then “communicating” with the source of that…in spirit…in Dreamtime…

I’m always amazed at white feathers showing up in my house or in my garden when I’m struggling with the loss of a loved one human or animal…seems to me to be a gentle reminder that they are always and still only a heartbeat away…xxx

That’s why I posted it Helen, he is a real Shaman who communicates with the spirits and nature. In his culture it is the way he does it.

We all have our cultures, to you it’s yuk, to the people in his commune they turn to him for help and when they are troubled and need to communicate with their loved ones.

What’s so different, it’s yuk to you, but sacred to them !

1 Like

If this chap is your local GP you must really live in the back & beond, yes very rural

1 Like

Well I did say that I lived in rural France :wink:

3 Likes

Yes, Ann, and in many cultures meat is very rarely ‘on the menu’ and very little of a slaughtered animal goes to waste.

To sacrifice a creature without eating any part of it is ‘sacrificial’ in more than a symbolic sense, one goes without eating it, the benefit of eating is sacrificed for a ‘higher purpose’ however perverse that idea might seem to people with full bellies.

Animal sacrifices are as old as the hills, and as we know play a central part in Christian orthodoxy: the “agnus dei qui tollis peccata mundi”.

Indeed … Edited to add that the Shaman in question was in a remote village in the Philippines, it was only because we spoke a little Tagalog and befriended a Philippina, and that I taught for a day in a tiny remote school that we were taken there. We were the only foreigners to be accorded this privelige and I will never forget it !

3 Likes

That’s what I call really going off subject … :dizzy_face:

practitioner reaching altered states of consciousness in order to perceive and interact with what they believe to be a spirit world and channel these transcendental energies into this world. I used to all that with mushrooms I don’t think a chichen would be so good. :slight_smile: [quote=“Misty36140, post:130, topic:24177”]
practitioner
[/quote]

2 Likes

Well if I knew what you were on about I could respond :thinking:

2 Likes

@anon89172871. - That is probably my favourite post of the last week! :joy:

Take a bow.

3 Likes

I think going off on a tangent is pretty much par for the course especially when we’re all allegedly on the €2 per litre red…x :smiley:

For some of us we just happen to be wide awake approaching midnight and thread drift is just one of those often really interesting things… x :smiley:

5 Likes

An interesting article, Ann, which does not IMO do adequate justice to authentic engagement, with humility and open-heartedness, by many westerners into the world-view of other cultures.

Difficult, humbling, and risky with many set-backs and sometimes deep wounds, but life affirming if the challenges are grasped. As many have testified here on these threads. Of course there are charlatans, chancers and crooks in all societies but they seldom prosper, people are not easily duped.

I have long been interested in shamanism, having since childhood been aware of liviing in two worlds at the same time. In the west this is labelled a disorder ref. Dan’s categorisation of my personality. But the same histrionic categorisation of adepts has long been applied by anthropologists to African and other e.g. Tibetan shamans.

It was those disorederly attributes in me perhaps, that led to my being made an honorary member of the Association of African Traditional Healers in the 1990s (the first white man to be so invited), and the first UK accredited Buddhist Healthcare Chaplain to be authorised to practice in the NHS in 2012. So it cuts, as they say, both ways.

2 Likes

:joy::upside_down_face: Well, Wozza, my guru, try again with one of the Donald’s superchickens when we waltz over to WTO terms on March 30th.

MAGAMAGAMAGA!! :blush::blush::blush::blush::wink::us_outlying_islands:

My favourite bit from the wiki piece is this…

The wounded healer is an archetype for a shamanic trial and journey. This process is important to the young shaman. They undergo a type of sickness that pushes them to the brink of death. This happens for two reasons:

• The shaman crosses over to the underworld. This happens so the shaman can venture to its depths to bring back vital information for the sick and the tribe.

• The shaman must become sick to understand sickness. When the shaman overcomes their own sickness, they will hold the cure to heal all that suffer. This is the uncanny mark of the wounded healer”

I was christened Church of England but I’ve never accepted that label and didn’t christen my 3 kids…if and when they want to do that with fully informed consent then they can but so far they are all on their own journey…one of my daughters especially…but all 3 are glad that I didn’t indoctrinate them and neither of my daughters have christened their little ones either…we are all probably much more pagan in attitude but don’t really accept that as a label either…

I think “the wounded healer” resides in many…

1 Like

I’ve had that awareness of living in two worlds at the same time since as long as I can remember Pete…like having one foot in “the heavens” to coin a phrase…and one foot on Earth…

1 Like

I agree, Helen, with the proviso that it’s not the heaven of angels playing harps of gold and everything AOK for ever and ever amen. Bit more multi-dimensional than that, more complicated if just as remote from ordinary understanding.

“The Dark Side” :chocolate_bar::wink:

1 Like

I respect the fact that discussions can often duck and dive but, quite frankly, this one has been completely ruined and hijacked.

I think those responsible should really think about creating their own discussions aimed at members who are specifically interested in their ‘interests’. Words on a screen don’t always work in the same way as a dinner party discussion - much harder to follow.

It’s a real shame and, yet again, shows little respect for Charlotte Brown - the victim in the Jack Shepherd manslaughter case.