Javid and Sunak gone!

The party has a lot of MPs. Corbyn managed it when his shadow cabinet resigned, and because he couldn’t go to the big beasts and loudmouths anymore he actually had to pick some relative unknowns who turned out in some cases to be very good people. This is a very idealistic view of the state of play I appreciate but if he is intent on trying to carry on and get a new cabinet together it could actually work out well for the country, if he can find enough of course… and lasts the day in his role himself :see_no_evil::joy:

Spare a thought for Carrie with all this going on.

Which part? Him getting his hairdresser pregnant

Or her desperately trying to peel off wallpaper whilst she can!

1 Like

Brandon Lewis has resigned this morning together with the Welsh Secretary and Gove has been sacked…
and now Helen Whately… exchequer secretary.
How can the government now function?
One of the questions the Queen asks a new PM before “kissing hands” is “do you have the confidence of the House of Commons”.
Clearly this is not now the case and the Queen should remove him. The Conservative Whips office have calculated that only about 50 Tory MPs would vote in support of de Pfeffle.
IIRC, they had to get an armed guard to remove Mugabe - perhaps the same will have to take place in Downing Street…

I doubt she would do this (though sometimes I wish she’d say “fark it - one is 96, one won’t have to live long with the consequences”).

Apart from anything else it would only deepen the crisis because that would leave us without a PM when no one else would be capable of forming a government, but would not remove him as leader of the Tory party.

The next step has to be that the Tories remove him from that office but the '22 has shied away from changing the rules to allow another VoNC preferring to wait until after the election of their executive next week. To an extent they are complicit in keeping him in place at the moment.

We’re now up to 50 (49 resignations and one sacking), rumours were than no backbencher was prepared to step up into the vacant posts, government business has been suspended but he’s still clining on. Physically remove him from N° 10? Yes, I could see it coming to that.

Meanwhile Suella Braverman has given the nation some light comedic relief by saying that she will run as party leader :rofl:

51, I think, now - Guy Opperman (a Pensions minister) in the last couple of minutes. It’s impossible to keep up at the moment.

Alastair Campbell on SkyNews suggested that he should be forcibly removed from Downing Street… preferably in the back of a black maria :slightly_smiling_face:
He’s apparently reshuffling his cabinet right now… but will anyone take a brief from him?

Even if he does manage to put a name to all the vacant posts, how are he and his Cabinet going to deal with the “backbenchers” who now include the likes of Sunak, Gove and all the other ex Ministers? I do not see how they can be ignored, they will not go away, and trying to govern with next to no support from parliament is surely not sustainable.

Just discovered this thread. Has anybody remarked on the similarity to Trump?
Anybody seen Johnson bare-chested in a coon-skin hat hanging around Westminster?

Why are people still giving that warmongering ****head airtime on national television?

He led the U.K. into an illegal war by lying through his teeth about Iraq having deployable WMDs that didn’t exist.

How can his opinion on anything be of value?

1 Like

I’m sure we have all made bad decisions which we go on to regret. That doesn’t mean that we should be ignored about all other future (& unrelated) matters.

3 Likes

A bad decision is having that extra drink and being hungover in the morning or coming home with the wrong patterned wallpaper.

It’s not deliberately misleading an entire country to get the U.K. involved in an illegal war which cost hundreds of thousands of lives and billions of pounds.

2 Likes

This is fun - even the new appointments turning on Johnson…

In other news, you know things have hit rock bottom when May is considered to be a safe pair of hands as an interim PM.

2 Likes

Just shows what an objectionable, opportunistic bastard Zahawi is IMO. And he’s meant to be one of the better ones in Cabinet. Donelan has just jumped ship as well :joy:

Someone said this could turn into to a rerun of the Iranian Embassy siege, LoL. Forget the 1922 committee, just call the SAS :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

The newly appointed minister for Education has also quit.
Trying to fill the Cabinet posts is going to be like trying to fill a sieve with water.

Quite a few

Apparently the newly appointed education secretary has just resigned - must be the shortest ministerial portfolio ever.

I think the point is that most of us value the opinions of people we respect, trust and have confidence in, over the opinions of people who have a track record of dishonesty and bad faith.

2 Likes

Just watching Sky news, apparently he is resigning today!