Je suis Charlie

Here's a text published by Charb, directeur de rédaction of Charlie Hebdo, killed this morning. He published it in October 2012. It's called "Rire, bordel de Dieu" :
"Peins un Mahomet glorieux, tu meurs.
Dessine un Mahomet rigolo, tu meurs.
Gribouille un Mahomet ignoble, tu meurs.
Réalise un film de merde sur Mahomet, tu meurs.
Tu résistes à la terreur religieuse, tu meurs.
Tu lèches le cul aux intégristes, tu meurs.
Pends un obscurantiste pour un abruti, tu meurs.
Essaie de débattre avec un obscurantiste, tu meurs.
Il n’y a rien à négocier avec les fascistes.
La liberté de nous marrer sans aucune retenue, la loi nous la donnait déjà, la violence systématique des extrémistes nous la donne aussi.
Merci, bande de cons."
Charb

There are manifestations being organised all over France, here's the "Le Monde" map of them :

http://www.lemonde.fr/les-decodeurs/article/2015/01/07/charlie-hebdo-la-carte-des-rassemblements-d-hommage-en-france_4550916_4355770.html

The way things are going it seems inevitable that more stringent border controls are going to come back and the free movement ideas of Schengen may be at an end. The immigration problems have also contributed to the increasing momentum. I'm not saying I want it and I certainly don't want it as my wife has a Schengen visa and life would become less easy- for instance holidays in other European countries may become downright difficult. It already costs us a fortune every time we want to go to the UK and we have to plan it months in advance.

The attempted massacre on the Thalys train the other day brought back memories of the january attacks at Charlie Hebdo. There have been various 'incidents' since that dark day in january but one common link seems to run through the events. After just about every attack or attempted attack the police or terrorist agency in France or Belgium have come out with the same line..

"The person responsable is known to the security services as having links to terrorist groups"

Is it just me or doesn't it seem blinkin' obvious that maybe these suspects and known terrorist supporters could be better shadowed to help prevent such occurances ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NXFCDgyanA

Naval term- example let go aft steadily- slowly and deliberately. Steady as you go etc

Steady the Buffs- Royal East Kent Regiment

I doubt the racing origin personally- is there any evidence for this

Let's stay in touch- September would be perfect!

That would certainly be on the cards, David, I could do a PowerPoint - I'd have to get some of the stuff from my mining archaeologist colleague. I'd have to cram up on the subject again though, was more than a few years ago ! Fee will be a pint in Bryn's :)

Prolly won't be before end of summer though, at the earliest.

If you are coming this way maybe you would like to make a small presentation to our association? Do you have any drawings?

The original Bonnets Rouges up here were Bretons revolting against a tax stamp in the 17th century. As the name implies they wore red bonnets. In the Revolution the name was applied to those wearing the revolutionary red hat. Recently here mainly in Finistere there has been a movement of the same name ostensibly led by Troadec, Maire of Crahaix. However it degenerated into a very active movement to protest against the ecotax gantries which were erected everywhere in France to tax commercial vehicles. The Bretons took grave exception because we have never had toll roads or peages as Anne Duchesse de Breatgne secured a waiver from taxed roads when she married the French king and Brittany was integrated into France back in the 16th century. The Bretons objected mainly because they say that their agricultural produce was going to be taxed out of competitiveness when they delivered to the main population centres. The new movement seems to be dying down a little now. There was a massive rush to buy knitted woolen bonnets rouges!

Jimmy Greaves

Which God was it?

*shhhhhhhhhhh*

*looks round nervously*

I paid over 300 euro for this Lobby Lud outfit!

You are Vic Evans and I claim my 5 Roubles !

Anybody else hear the guy on the radio this morning? He was talking about satire in France. I only caught a few moments. I did get a joke though, translated: ...and god said 'Let their be light', in France all the fuses blew, the lights went out and EDF were sent to hell...

Apparently somebody got several thousand complaints when he told that a couple of years ago.

*proud*

See what gems you pick up hanging around bantering and joshing in this shebeen?

:)

Not a lot of people know that !

And that is where the frightfully posh English name "Mallerby" comes from, one that Le Carré used as a cover name in Finland for a dogsbody spy in "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold", I think it was.

You will love it and be made welcome.

I spent most of the '70s in and around Caen. It's still one of my favourite french cities. I lived in Rue St Sauveur in the centre which was the only 'quartier' not to have been flattened by the allies in WW2.

Don't know Burgundy at all i'm afraid tho' I look forward to visiting when the french retirement comes in twelve months time.

Our neighbours live in Caen and have their maison secondaire down the lane from us in the Hauts de Trivy in Southern Burgundy. It is beauatiful here in the Clunysois.

Swinesea or Doinkaster