Jehovah's Witnesses

I had an interesting experience a couple of years ago when we were staying in a rented holiday house in the Loire region.

The house was quite a way from the main road, so when two women appeared and began talking to me in French. My command of the French language still isnt' great, but was even worse then. I just stated that we were there on holiday, it isn't our house etc.

Made me smile - it was a home from home experience. :)

I honestly don't remember. Since we moved into town in an apartment with only rear access and no door bell, we haven't seen any. But some days even mid-morning is a dangerous time.

Interesting Greg but all visits to my place have been late morning or mid-afternoon monday to friday, maybe JWs don't work the weekends ?

All depends on when they come. Is it during tea time, I might be inclined to be patient and talk to them, even accept some leaflets. If it is early on a sunday morning, I'm liable to confront them with some distasteful nudity.

Our first visitors were JW, calling at the gate the week we arrived in France. Very charming at first but then the 'hard sell' started, trying to get us to go to meetings, even volunteering to drive us. I was polite and told them they were wasting their time as I didn't share their beliefs, thanks but no thanks etc. They then crossed a line by coming back, opening the gate and actually coming into our house one day, we just turned round and they were there, outrageous. Our neighbour a few doors down is a JW and he is one of the most unpleasant, petty and rude people you could wish to meet. The callers have dropped off luckily (perhaps word spreads) but if they persist I tell them I give blood.

I'm with you Peter, I don't actually invite them in but my husband does. He is a Muslim and I'm a very strong atheist but everybody's opinion is valid and important to them. Who I am to say that what I believe is right?

The Jehovah's witnesses that we've had visiting have all been such lovely, polite people it would be impossible to treat them with anything other than respect, and I'm quite happy to have a little chat with anyone friendly!

I'm always polite and say we are humanists which non of them understand what that is, they never give up and I have had some lively discussions on the validity of all religions or non, one ending with a plea " but you must belive there is only true god, oh you don't believe in any do you". P.S. They always find you where ever you live.

Since we moved to this house they have only ever left leaflets. In the other house they did come twice, the second time with an English speaker. OH told them she was CoS and they never came back.

I used to get them when I first came here. I told them kindly that I already had my own church that I go to (which is true) and after a while they stopped coming. I live in a town too.

I let the dogs out. Sorry, but this is the only way not to make them come back. Same for some others...

I say" I'm an atheist and my wife's a Hindu...you'd be a lot better knocking next door"

Believe it or not we had 3 knocking on the door in Mauritius too!

I like to engage them in theological discussion at the door. A few minutes on the nature of the Trinity or the consistency of the three creation stories in Genesis usually sees them on their way.