Jeremy Hunt in my home town today

It’s a strong Tory area. Voted overwhelmingly for Brexit. Actually, it’s a strong far-right area and Farage is popular here, in fact he has visited a few times. It’s just the place that a Tory would get a good welcome.

The Island is full of the sort of leave voters I despise. Poorly-educated uninformed knuckle-draggers who will fall for/believe anyone that appeals to their prejudices. The sort of people that actually believed that an extra £350m per week would be spent on the NHS or that leaving the EU would stop immigration from Asia and all the rest of the bullshit peddled by Farage, Johnson etc.

I can’t wait to leave. Every time I go to the supermarket I feel like punching someone.

And breathe… rant over!

9 Likes

Absolutely Stella. There’s at least 6 I can think of!!

Oh yes Pete. Four very important cats (my brother has 3) and 1 VIP but elderly cocker spaniel.

1 Like

It’s interesting that they go the areas where their support is strong rather than trying to win over people in areas where they are less strong. I guess a lot of party members are in the south of the country??

Bless your heart for NOT saying “north of Watford Gap” which is the rankest of rank geographical and cultural idiocies perpetrated so many times by many crackpot metropolitans who have never driven 76 miles up the M1 to Northamptonshire, location of the Watford Gap Motorway Service Station, which has nothing to do with Watford, Hertfordshire, on London’s northern fringes.

Gawd help us!

2 Likes

@anon92567933 wants to punch someone every time she goes to the supermarket…:joy::muscle::facepunch::shopping_cart::fire:

Spoken like a true Canvey Islander, Mandy!:star_struck:

1 Like

When I get the coach to London it passes Watford Gap services on the M1

My niece’s future father in law was asked to stand for Ukip. His business is on Canvey, I believe.

1 Like

Sure does, Nellie. But I recall hearing the East End saying “Wogs begin at Watford” before the first barrowload of concrete was poured to form the M1! :scream:

Excuse the explicit use of a defamatory term that was only included for historical accuracy. Those were ruder times.

Yup, lots of UKippers here. Most of them can barely string a coherent sentence together!!

I was actually born in London so I’m really a Londoner.

1 Like

Yep, that sounds like him

1 Like

Apologies, Mandy, breeding will out! :grinning:

1 Like

No different to Clacton innit… Both places should be pushed out into the North Sea :smirk:
What’s particularly interesting about Canvey is the heavy dutch influence in their architecture.
You have to feel sorry for them really. :cry:
The place is nothing more than a floating petrol tanker with Shell Haven on its doorstep and a massive gas storage facility. One very unholy explosive mix. :fireworks:
There are two roads on/off the Island into Benfleet (where Hughie Green and his bit of stuff Monica Rose used to live).
In the event of some disaster befalling the island, one road is closed off for emergency services access to the island and the other for ‘escape’ by the islanders.
Asked once at emergency planning meeting in the '70’s where he would deploy his men and equipment in the even of a major fire/incident on Canvey involving Shell Haven (like if the everlasting flame stack went out) The Chief Fire Officer responded “somewhere north of Colchester Sir”.

Happy memories of a former life :ambulance:

2 Likes

Within the sound of Bow Bells?

1 Like

Sounds more like the lib dems or godforbid the Greens, but then it could be those Corbynites

Does it matter, it could have been a libdem or Corbynite, either way he or she deserves a good kicking, the toerag

1 Like

Definitely not a corbynite, he was a hunting, dogs outside in kennels, guy.

Not unless you stuck your head out of the window and the wind was in the right direction. Pretty close though, Forest Gate.

1 Like

A brief but accurate description. The IRA tried to blow us all up in the 1970’s but attached their bomb to an empty tank of gas instead of a full one.

2 Likes