Jo Johnson resigns - Is this the beginning of the end for Brexit?

Jo Johnson has resigned as Minister for Transport because of the impossible state of the Brexit negotiations .
Arlene Foster is adding her sixpenn’orth as well.
The movement for a second Referendum with remaining in the EU as one of the choices is gathering real momentum.
The only downside is that they will say that there is no time for the disenfranchised UK citizens living in EU countries to be given a vote.
Time to open a careful celebratory bottle of Cremant methinks.

It was always going to be tricky for her to manage a deal which was loosely worded enough to allow the EU, the ERG, the Labour party, the DUP and Tory Remainers to all think they were getting the outcome that they wanted.

It doesn’t help that our negotiating tactics have left the EU thinking we are as much to be trusted as one of Baldrick’s plans is to be considered cunning.

Ian Dunt seems to have his head screwed on regarding current events - here is what he has to say.

1 Like

Could it possibly be an outbreak of common sense?

3 Likes

I thought he actually spoke very well. It is difficult to argue with his comments.

Here’s a very interesting article, ongoing investigations that started kind of late(?).
What does the government NOT know? Words like ’ taking back control’ get a new meaning.

The trouble is nobody will even try to argue with what he says. He will be dismissed as a remoaner, end of. The people have spoken and a debate based on facts is the last thing that the government wants at this stage.

1 Like

I would agree, you certainly wouldn’t want facts to get in the way of an impending national catastrophe.

2 Likes

What people want is now becoming very different from what the government want.
It seems that there are many more tories who are keeping their powder dry, but will not allow a hard Brexit.
George Osborne apologised for the poor showing that Remain put up in the Referendum, that must not be allowed to happen again.
People are now reigning in their spending in UK. The real effects of a hard Brexit on the economy are now becoming apparent. We live in a just in time world and the problems of delays at borders on imports will have on jobs and food in the shops are being talked about and listened to.
The extreme right is being isolated and Arlene Foster and the DUP is now becoming a danger to TM again.
The call for a second Referendum is finding currency because there is strong opposition to another General Election and the danger of the Corbynistas being elected.
Times are changing and it is not so easy to call people Remoaners when they have tried and failed to come up with a credible alternative.

It’s way too late for another vote unless the UK government asks for an extension to Article 50 and the EU agrees, more crucially what would people be voting on?

Agreed………way too late for another vote that would achieve little other than swing maybe four or five percent the other way. There are still at least 45% hell bent on the superiority of Little England come what may. I would foresee critical social unrest and extreme racial abuse. Let the UK get on with it. They have never been fully committed to the European communion and only serve to weaken the ideals.

1 Like

There is already major division and the recent referrals of Arron Banks to the National Crime Unit and the fine paid by his company for data protection breaches, plus the admission of employees of his company that they worked on Brexit, shows that the Referendum was flawed.
In my view it is more damaging to the reputation of British democracy to allow what is looking increasingly likely an illegal vote to continue.

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t think we’re far from social unrest and racial abuse. Brexit is distracting from the sheer poverty amongst some Brits. At any other time this government would have been pilloried for the disdain shown to the less fortunate.

I don’t personally hold democracy, British or otherwise, in any great regard. I would be far more concerned about the social havoc that will be wrought should a second vote occur. The damage that Brexit has done is largely irreversible and the second vote would simply swing the balance but compound the problem. In very general terms at the moment we have a bunch of upset liberals. After a second vote you would have a rather more aggressive bunch of upset people. Approximately seventeen million of them and very many are not seventy plus Daily Mail readers.

Government has been distracted and huge amounts of time and money spent on Brexit to the detriment of the whole of the country.
The rise in drug inspired violent crime is frightening.
The attitude of certain sections of youth that being involved in drugs is a better way of life than honest work when unemployment is at its lowest for some time seems to be following inner city America.
Not a path I wish to see followed.

1 Like

I think they are likely to be way more upset once they can no longer afford Tesco Value cheddar and 3 bottles of Pinot Grigio for a tenner…

Personally I don’t buy the social unrest line.

Maybe I am missing something but given the numbers who voted leave and now regret it, plus those who have popped their clogs , plus those who are too inherently lazy to put out their fags, stop watching Jeremy Kyle and take to the streets, factor in people like my BIL (disgusted of Tunbridge Wells - i.e. far too respectable to even consider civil unrest and then add in the people I’ve seen on TV vox pops, who all look like they are still collecting Green Sheild Stamps and you are left with a very small group of potential troublemakers. No?

4 Likes

Wow, you do not cut corners do you cat, you must really hate a lot of your fellow brits, good job that you live in another country.

2 Likes

You’ve made me laugh. Green shield stamps.
I worked with a woman years ago who had to go for a gynaecological appt. She needed the loo before she went in and there was no toilet paper so she used a tissue from her pocket.
During the examination the male Dr asked for forceps and removed a green shield stamp that was stuck to her nether regions.
She was mortified not least because the stamp was in her words ‘a twenty!’
:joy:

3 Likes

JRM was still flogging the dead horse of Project Fear this morning on the Today programme.
I think you are right in one respect, the majority of Leavers did not bother to discover the reality of just how deeply we are enjoined with the EU.
A simple Brexit was never on the cards, my thoughts were really that Spain would be the sticking point over Gibralter, but I reckoned without the Irish.
Does local radio or radio 1 cover the intricacies of Brexit?

No Catherine is a pragmatist, like me.
I do not accept that I should agree to disagree when my rights that I relied upon when moving to France are being removed.
I saw two old women bragging that they had not voted for twenty years, but they came out to vote Leave because they believed the lies on ‘the bus’.
UK citizens living in EU countries were denied, and continue to be denied, a vote on how they will live their lives.
I think it is people who voted to remove our rights who do not consider others.
I am being very polite here, what I really think about those who continue to support what is more than likely an illegal Referendum is unpublishable.

1 Like

4 Likes