Jo Johnson resigns - Is this the beginning of the end for Brexit?

Actually Mike, Catharine was warning you about having a go at Jane, and we don’t allow that, if you do it again you will be suspended.

Will save you the trouble.

Good bye everyone.

1 Like

If I loved Great Britain I’m sure that I wouldn’t throw it off a cliff!

1 Like

I hope you don’t leave mick

We’re probably all a bit frazzled with the uncertainty…I love my country too…Great Britain and England where my mom and my 3 kids and 4 grandkids still are…I always will do…

Wishing you the best with the sale of your farm and hoping you will soon be on your next adventure…x

2 Likes

I agree with Helen, Mick,a lot of us are really under pressure from this slow torture Brexit fiasco and tempers will fray.
I have never had negative thoughts towards the Brexit voters themselves but
definately to David Cameron and co for lighting the bonfire and then scarpering(love the above clip)
Its amazing how divisive this has all been and relations have cooled between myself and some very good friends in UK because they don’t understand the stress we are under(and we are all remainers )
So do stay around!

2 Likes

Mick, I too would regret your leaving the forum. I’ve bustled off in a huff (twice) myself and thought better of it. Your voice is unique and your experience valuable, please do reconsider.

I think James is right, and being Catherine’s husband has nothing to do with how they support the forum and its operating principles.

Cat has every right to post her opinions, which were IMO not immoderate or hostile to individuals, but had an understandably indignant tone, and the ring of truth about it.

But her stature as a dispassionate arbiter and scrupulous judge of what infringes (or not) the liberally interpreted sctrictures of the forum is beyind any reproach. And both James and Cat are very empathic and engaged at a human level, over and above the call of technical duty.

You haven’t been able to evidence that her opinions have ever influenced her moderating, and it would help if you could uncouple those two with good grace, and stick around to apply your estimable schtick :blush:

Everyone will be rooting for you and your planned future move. You’re a nice guy.

2 Likes

Social unrest has always been with us. What were the 2011 riots about?

Do a large proportion of the UK population suffer from such a bad infection of nationalism that they fear and dislike their neighbours? Or is it that they don’t like the world as it is treating them and want a change?

What is there to fear from a general election? The last one seemed decisive enough, that the majority want to go ahead with Brexit.4

Sadly, work no longer pays for some. It seems that there are many working who rely on food banks.

I am sick of hearing that 17m racist, idiot, little-Englanders caused Brexit. How many of those 17m do you know? I might know 20 and they all had different reasons for their votes - some reasonable, some suspect. Were Remainders more consistent. I doubt it.

We’re in this process because some aloof, arrogant and useless political leaders put us here. No-one would have objected to a required 60% in favour vote. No-one could have objected to an advisory vote. The EU could have taken on board the advisory vote with a binding one to follow after some much-needed reforms.

This forum could do with a bit more respect for people with different views. If that’s not possible, then let’s get back to déchetteries, bureaucracy and mole problems and leave out polemic discussions altogether.

Btw I think the threat of expulsion to Mick was uncalled for and I think Cat’s portrayal of some British people was inflammatory and provocative.

4 Likes

Hi Mike… while we are at it… I’ll tell you what I am sick and tired of… (and this is my own personal opinion)…

Folk who insist that all exit-voters… are ghastly folk …and keep calling the “wrath of the gods” down upon the heads of those exit-voters…

Likewise… I am sick and tired of…

Folk who insist that all remain-voters… are ghastly folk… and keep calling the “wrath of the gods” down upon the heads of those remain-voters.

Folk voted as they thought best… in the main… and it was only ever meant to be advisory… to judge the mood of the voters…

So much drivel and downright incorrect twaddle was put out and about… before the vote… that no result would/should have been considered “sound”… and thus worthy of the Members of Parliament, shrugging their shoulders… and agreeing to “go with the will of the people”…

Phew… I’ll jump back down from my soapbox now…

9 Likes

Hi Stella. Thanks. I think this means you agree with me? Anyway, you put it as I would have liked to. Attacking the person is just wrong. And if you want to attack their views, do so in a respectful and considered manner. There’s too much generalised “labelling” of people with opposing views.

1 Like

Personally, I didn’t see anything untoward in @cat posting what she thought.
I saw nothing disrespectful or lacking in consideration with @cat or @james and Mick was just throwing his toys out of the pram in an infantile way.
We all do this from time to time (as indeed I have in the past) but threatening to leave rather than just doing it quietly smacks of attention seeking and I think it backfired spectacularly.
Just my own personal opinion, you understand.

3 Likes

The last general election was anything but decisive. The unelectable Labour Party failed to get elected by the skin of their teeth and the Conservatives lost so many seats they were forced into a bizarre partnership with the DUP.

@Stella - Stella for PM!

1 Like

I’m not sure that you can draw that conclusion from the last GE.

Social unrest around the 2011 riots will be infinitesimal compared with what could happen if the ‘democratic’ choice was overturned.

I don’t think Cat’s response was inflammatory. As is every input to a forum it is an opinion. One that will be shared by some and objected to by others. There is not much point having a forum if opinions and views cannot be expressed.

3 Likes

What is more democratic that a fresh referendum now that more is known- giving people the choice of what type of Brexit deal that they want? Isn’t this the most democratic option?

It was suggested on the radio today that a 3 way referendum with options: on which deal they prefer:

1. The governments proposal
  2. The WTO no deal option
  3. Existing deal

I didn’t hear the programme, Mat, am I right in supposing that option 3 is UK remaining as a fully-fledged member of the EU? And would the referendum involve a transferable second choice of option to participants?

Correct Option 3 was to effectively remain with the current arrangement - but it was worded in such a way to not use the word “remain”.

It was Justine Greening discussing it on Radio 5.

I don’t know about transferable vote.

Very diplomatic, our Justine ! :grinning:

Without a transferable second choice the vote would not work, I reckon, because one option could attract 40% of the franchise, one 35% and one 25%, which would just be vexatious and lead to total dissatisfaction all round… :thinking::scream::cry:

That makes sense, although it is an easy way to split the Leave vote!