Jo Johnson resigns - Is this the beginning of the end for Brexit?

So, provide a link.

3 Likes

The EU has to do more to help these country’s rebuild. By simply allowing millions of people to enter the EU illegally we are doing nothing for the future of Syria, Iraq etc.

Agreed, it’s one of the things that falls into easier said than done though - especially places like Syria, or Yemen.

2 Likes

This doesn’t explain why leave voters use immigration as a reason. If the UK won’t accept it then what is the problem. Both Hungary and Poland have very robust measures to prevent unfettered free movement.
My sil is from Kazakhstan, it took 3 years and 47 documents plus ridiculous tests, one of which my brother had to change the venue as they thought my sil should be able to understand English spoken in a Scottish accent. Even I struggle.
My nephew actually moved to the US as it was easier for him to go there than his us girlfriend(now wife) to gain admission to the UK .
The UK is one of the most difficult countries to gain admission to.
We have an awful island mentality.

Not so.
John Major rejected the Schengen accord prinicipally for reasons of securing the UK borders (notably England, Wales and Scotland) from entry by Southern Irish Nationalist terrorists to prevent unfettered freedom of movement.
This was later superseded of course by the Good Friday agreement perhaps then making the rejection of Schengen unnecessary but, by which time, it was set in stone.

1 Like

To be fair it makes less sense anyway for an island nation who’s ports of entry are international, not solely internal to the EU.

The lack of empathy towards migrants is appalling.
The current housing shortage in the UK was caused by the sale of council houses under Thatcher and her refusal to allow councils to use the money to replace them. And yet immigrants are blamed.
Job shortages have been caused by Conservative austerity measures and lack of investment in infrastructure but immigrants are blamed.
The deterioration of the NHS caused by bursaries being stopped and lack of investment plus pay freezes but immigrants are blamed.
Education affected by lack of investment but immigrants are blamed.
The police force cut by 20000 when Theresa May was home Secretary leading to escalation in crime but often immigrants are blamed.
And the msm fuelling all this blame run by multi millionaires with their own agenda.
And all the people who made an ’ informed’ decision did so based on the papers they read and the news they listened to.

4 Likes

People who have family who have moved and worked in Europe, which is increadingly the case, understand how important freedom of movement is.
Students who have used the Erasmus scheme and University researchers are all aware of how important it is to have freedom of movement.
People who have lived in the same town, village and have never extended their horizons are prime Leave voters.

2 Likes

Nonsense.

4 Likes

I can see where you are gong with that Paul but…
Iceland (an EFTA member) is clearly an Island nation but has signed agreements in association with Schengen accord.
No; undoubtedly the principal reason for not signing up to the accord was the Irish conflict. This of course followed the IRA bombing of Downing Street when JM was PM.
JM was the original architect of the Good Friday agreement but it was finally achieved in the premiership of TB after Schengen was done and dusted.

Yes, I know Iceland is in Schengen - never been so I don’t know how they police it - I know that Schiphol, for instance, has Schengen and non-Schengen areas so all the “internal” flights stay “internal”. I think you have to show a passport to get through security though so not sure what the practical difference is

And I didn’t disagree with you analysis - I think we can both be right. It makes more sense for us to remain outside Schengen as we are an island (this does not compel Iceland to follow our example) and it can also  be the case that the Irish conflict was a further factor, perhaps even the main driving force in the decision at the time.

1 Like

Those of you who support the UK leaving the EU on account of immigration and who live in France, what is your French like? How well integrated into our culture are you?

8 Likes

I wish that these people who believe that Britain is best and can do better without the overpowering control issued by the EU and UN would take time out to look at the economic growth that has happened since Britain joined Europe and note the benefit (singular not plural) that has been enjoyed by improving the lifestyles of so many of her citizens.

4 Likes

Very good to hear from you again Mick and thanks for sharing about the dyslexia, which makes your posts all the more to be admired and valued.

I’ve always had a problem with making proper sense of what I hear (spoken language), especially if two kinds of sound are happening at once, and if I can’t see the person who is speaking.

I don’t know if there’s a word for this, but if I’ve heard it in relation to my difficulty it sounds like nevvalissendooya or cantgethrootoowimcanya and its a kind of profound mental retardation.

To compensate, I often translate the words I ‘hear’ into kind of running subtitle under my upper eyelids, like those rolling texts at the bottom of the telly screen. So I ‘see’ them, and understand/retain them better. I can follow most conversations in this way.

Any way, good on yer for bouncing back, it’s a nice feeling to see your chops on my screen :grinning:

3 Likes

I got concussion after being kicked in the face by a patient and afterwards I could see the words I wanted to say floating in front of my eyes and it was like I was picking them out, really strange

2 Likes

BREAKING
Cabinet backs the draft Brexit plan
Addressing the press, Theresa May says “the draft withdrawal agreement was the best that could have been negotiated.”

“The collective decision of the cabinet was that the government should support the draft withdrawal agreement.”

1 Like

Gives a whole new meaning to the expression “re-booting the system”, Nellie. But you have my sincere sympathies! :cry:

1 Like

It was a bad spell , less than a month after I was badly bitten on my arm. I was claiming frequent user points from A&E

Arlene Foster has a meeting with TM this evening, I don’t suppose she will be convinced by the argument that it is this or a Labour government.

Both myself and my daughter can ‘stream’ what we are saying.
We see it in front of our eyes.

1 Like