Johnson v von der Leyen

I used to sometimes buy from Amazon UK as it was cheaper than Amazon France. Recently when comparing the same product in France and the UK France has been cheaper sometimes. Maybe a sign that some things in the UK are going to be subject to a price hike?

Fake news?- You couldn’t make it up -

Ineos boss opts to build ‘British’ heir to Land Rover Defender in France

Vocal Brexiter Sir Jim Ratcliffe vowed to make new Grenadier 4x4 in Bridgend but has now bought car plant at Hambach.

Maybe it’s next door to the factory making the blue passports and obviously it’s only a matter of time before Wetherspoons’ HQ relocates to Munich.

6 Likes

George Osborne in the Standard - ‘splendid isolation is an illusion’ and will ‘likely end up “voluntarily” shadowing the EU rules and standards that we once helped shape.’

Unloved smarmy git, but probably right. Certainly Osborne now seems in a very different league to the current dross .

Ah, nostalgia!

Let’s not forget with his fiendishly keen appetite for austerity he is also one of the architects of Brexit.

To be fair I think Thales/Gemalto just designed the “British” passports in France, I’m sure I read they are actually made in Poland :roll_eyes::rofl:

Wouldn’t disagree, but like the ‘new’ Land Rover,both are going to be made in the EU, not the UK.

2 Likes

Could this be the stroke of the century? Gove returns triumphant and Bojo a failure. Is it positioning for a putsch?

1 Like

The more “out there” Brexiteers on Twitter are now calling him a Remainer :rofl:

1 Like

Bojo?

Well to be fair, he is an ardent remainer and a committed hard brexiteer. As Groucho said “Those are my principles, and if you don’t like them… well, I have others”.

4 Likes

No Gove, the idea of him being accused of being a Remainer is quite delightfully ironic.

Surreal.

Is it possible that the changes with Amazon UK are in connection with the goods purchased for export from the UK no longer being subject to UK VAT ?
In the event that the UK VAT rate and the EU VAT rate on certain items diverge, then it is logical that there would be a price change at checkout, especially if Amazon are collecting VAT on behalf of either of the governments dependent upon the country of delivery.
One should also note that Amazon speak of a price change and not a price increase.

Yes Robert, items should be exported VAT free but then would be liable to local VAT and could attract import duties. Like stuff one buys from the States and State taxes don’t apply but local VAT does. It’a just all a hassle.

@Fleur re “The UK govt has folded…”
The press release to which you supplied the link makes no mention whatsoever of any details of the agreement in principle to which it refers. Therefore it is unknown at present as to which side has made compromises (probably both), or in what way. In view of this I feel it is rather premature to say that the UK Gov’t has folded.
We need to wait until we know the details.

Certainly cause for thought: do you think Johnson will have so read the runes, or is he too self-obsessed to have noticed?

I would never underestimate Johnson’s ability to sniff the wind Peter. He may well fear the game is afoot?

Sort of exciting isn’t it, but the fact that so many real people, workers, families, kiddies are going to loose out distresses me.

They’ve apparently folded in respect of breaking international law.

1 Like

That all sounds remarkable honourable - to expect credit when you promise not to break the law!

1 Like

I have Amazon accounts with UK, France and Germany (in English) for delivery in Luxembourg.
In the world of After Brexit Brits goodbye to Amazon UK.

Not sure I agree. We’ll all manage - pricing will just be a bit different or maybe long-suffering friends may be prepared to act as intermediaries. I think there’s enough other doom and gloom elsewhere to lose any sleep about whether we will be able to shop on Amazon UK. :grin:

2 Likes