Just want Internet

We’re a long way down the line… and the Mairie is even further along… so we’re just waiting our turn for fibre… one of these days/years…
The Orange vans are out and about, Fibre is being investigated/plotted/… but who knows

Put your address or phone number in this
Test d’éligibilité à la fibre optique, à l’ADSL et au VDSL2?
You don’t need to give your email.
You will get a list of boxes from various companies and with a selection of options
I have a Sosh box + VoIP and nothing else 19.99 euro/ month and no commitment.

2 Likes

Its complete overkill, but at least we should be able to cope when we have a house full of guests.
BTW I’m only paying for the standard Orange fibre package.

I have the sosh €20 package same as Elsie and it is fantasic for the money, I have just done a quick speedtest on a french server and I get the limit offered by sosh.
[tom@tom-optiplex780 ~]$ iperf3 -c iperf3.privatelayer.com -p 5201
Connecting to host iperf3.privatelayer.com, port 5201
[ 5] local 192.168.1.28 port 44962 connected to 46.19.143.178 port 5201
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bitrate Retr Cwnd
[ 5] 0.00-1.00 sec 31.4 MBytes 263 Mbits/sec 96 1.58 MBytes
[ 5] 1.00-2.00 sec 36.2 MBytes 304 Mbits/sec 0 1.74 MBytes
[ 5] 2.00-3.00 sec 36.2 MBytes 304 Mbits/sec 0 1.87 MBytes
[ 5] 3.00-4.00 sec 35.0 MBytes 294 Mbits/sec 0 1.97 MBytes
[ 5] 4.00-5.00 sec 36.2 MBytes 304 Mbits/sec 0 2.05 MBytes
[ 5] 5.00-6.00 sec 35.0 MBytes 294 Mbits/sec 92 1.50 MBytes
[ 5] 6.00-7.00 sec 36.2 MBytes 304 Mbits/sec 0 1.59 MBytes
[ 5] 7.00-8.00 sec 35.0 MBytes 294 Mbits/sec 0 1.66 MBytes
[ 5] 8.00-9.00 sec 36.2 MBytes 304 Mbits/sec 0 1.70 MBytes
[ 5] 9.00-10.00 sec 35.0 MBytes 294 Mbits/sec 0 1.73 MBytes

[ ID] Interval Transfer Bitrate Retr
[ 5] 0.00-10.00 sec 353 MBytes 296 Mbits/sec 188 sender
[ 5] 0.00-10.05 sec 351 MBytes 293 Mbits/sec receiver

iperf Done.

We have everything from Orange, fibre box for i ternet, tv, phone and 1 mobile…
Total bill 52.99 per month. Really good value as this includes phonecalls to mobiles and landlines. Family all over the world - and daily hour long calls to check elderly parent in Germany.
Suggest you visit an Orange shop. Ours in St. Junien is staffed by ever so helpfull people, some speak excellent english
And they tolerate my attempts at speaking French

Gosh some of you pay SO much! We pay €21.99/ month with red for internet, national and international calls (no mobile). On top €4.99/ month for my mobile which has unlimited mobile calls and more internet than I can use (prixtel). Shop around people! You shouldn’t be paying over €60!!!

1 Like

That’s exactly what I have, but I’m paying 77.99 per month!
I’ll be contacting Orange next week.

the provider @Stella subscribes to uses wet string technology in her locale :grinning:

2 Likes

getting the day off to a good start… :rofl:

2 Likes

When I bought my house in the Black Mountains, the previous owners, with Orange, only got around 2mbps, like you. They had been with Orange for 10 years. In the intervening 10 years, the local exchange had been upgraded with VDSL, VDSL2 and VDSL2+ equipment, but the old ADSL equipment was Still in place. When I took over the property I asked to be connected to the new equipment and now bet about 80mbps.
You may find that you are in a similar position. Just asking your current provider to switch you may not work, you may have to change. You can check what speed you could get at your property using the following website

It will also tell you what providers are available. It’s really worth checking, especially if you have been with the same provider for several years.
Edit: To check what speeds you can get, just select the fibre eligibility option on the main page. All you need is you’re current telephone number. You can leave all the other options blank.

We started with one of their special offers (coincidently with our arrival in France) z now every year when renewal of the contract comes around, we opt agsin for the special offer. Also helps that our Orange shop has most helpfull staff.

We (and our neighbours) check our situation from time to time… at the moment if one has internet via landline there is no faster solution to the speed of what comes down the wire…
We have to wait for fibre…

If you haven’t checked on the Ariase website, then I suggest you try it. You may be surprised. If you live in a village, then you will probably have a local exchange box. If you do, it’s the distance between you and the box that’s important. In our commune, the vast majority only get 2 to 3 mbps because they are on old exchange equipment. Most just accept it because they don’t know there is an alternative … even though I have tried to explain it.

Ariase website is a treasure and an old friend … but it never changes in its reply to us… no matter how nicely I ask… :wink: :roll_eyes:

That’s a shame @stella , fibre it is then … whenever it may arrive :thinking::man_shrugging:

1 Like

Any possibility of 4G or are you too far out in the sticks?

We are in a village… everyone is in the same boat and paddling like mad towards Fibre Island where we’ve heard the roads are paved with gold… (sounds like UK…)
All will be well eventually… Fibre is in the nearby towns and goes along the major roads… we just need them to take a little detour “into the sticks”.

We’re in the same position re fibre. We’re a couple of km from a road that has fibre running alongside it. Many villages have been connected, or work is being done. We were promised fibre this autumn, but now they’re saying it may be as late as 2026 :cry::frowning:
Hope you fare better

We are 300m up our lane. Main road has fibre, we don’t and guess never will :cry:

Oh… it will come… I have had a very high-up govt official… tell me from his lofty perch (he seemed about 7ft tall)
It will come soon!

… maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soooon… (I confess I’ve added this last bit :rofl: )