Just want Internet

Sounds like time to do something yourselves.

Do you own the lane?? perhaps they can’t come up a private lane

Along those lines, yes.

That’s probably not possible - but if, depending on circumstances, you could get service to one of the properties on the main road, then set up either a fibre or microwave link to your own property.

Ar you an isolated dwelling on part of a small hamlet at the end of the lane?

1 Like

We are in a hamlet, ex farm, there is a crescent and I counted and we are 14 homes.

Would the others want a connection? Roughly what is the distance between houses? Are there dwellings around the junction with the lane and the main road that could have a fibre service and, as Stella says who owns the lane?

Oh my… 14 homes using the one lane… that is surely worth Fibre making the effort.
It might well be that with the Main Line in place, contractors will undertake the minor lines… such as for your lane…

Yes dwellings on both junctions of the U. Total length probably 1.2 km. We are all on big blocks with a couple of fields as well. Distance between probably 50 to 300m.

And it is a public road. Some older people who wouldn’t want it but probably 1/2 would.

Stella that is what I’m hoping!!

1 Like

It sounds like something to be tackled at community level - maybe the mairie would be able to find out why you weren’t included.

A small community project would be feasible, I would have thought, if enough people chip in. It would have worked better if it was one small hamlet, but might be do-able nevertheless.

Where, exactly, are you - DM me if you don’t want to put that in the open forum.

We’re in the sticks too. Fibre all around (within 5km) but no sign of it coming here. In fact, I don’t know of anyone with it, even those in the villages on the route (note to self: must ask at the pharmacy, if anyone has they will) Seems like the dept. have spent millions getting he cable layed but there’s no take-up to the door yet.

I use 4g (Red SFR and a TP-Link box) because the previous rADSL was insufficient to stream - and fibre was seemingly to remain a dream.

1 Like

That’s our use case too.
We use Bouygues 4G - the mast is 1.1km as the crow flies and usually get around 20Mbps. The Bouygues account is unlimited so no download restrictions but I do know that other providers (such as Orange) do limit to around 200 Go/month which may be fine for some.

If you scroll down, this page Test d'éligibilité à la Fibre Optique - FIBRE.guide has information on the optical fibre deployment in each department.

Each department page has information on

• the state of deployment for each operator,
  • information on Zones AMII - Une zone AMII est une partie du territoire dans laquelle un ou plusieurs opérateurs privés ont manifesté leur intérêt pour déployer un réseau en fibre optique FTTH Zone AMII (Appel à Manifestation d’Intention d’Investissement) - FIBRE.guide
  • information on RIP RIP (Réseau d’Initiative Publique) est un projet porté par les collectivités territoriales pour mettre en place un réseau de communications, en fibre optique le plus souvent ces dernières années and
  • other useful departmental deployment links at the bottom of each page

I’ve looked at the maps before. Our area is not eligible (or at least not scheduled/prioritised) due to being covered by 4G. So are other areas of course but whatever, as they say.

Yes, have to echo this! Unless there are geographical restrictions I’ve discovered there is really no need to be paying any more than 25 euros/month for internet - even fibre.

Bouygues is currently offering fibre for 15.99 / month for one year. It’s 40 / month after but that’s when, just like in the UK, you should be ringing up and negotiating a new contract.

Same goes for mobile contracts - it sometimes amazes me how much people overpay!

1 Like

The information there for Aude is certainly very out of date, so treat with caution. It has our commune as having been connected in 2021. We were actually promised August 2022, but that was put back recently with no commitment to connect before 2026.

We get exactly the same from RED for €18 per month with no contract. I’ve noticed that the price varies from time to time, so I obviosly signed up at just the right time :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

I suggest you contact the web site and tell them so others can benefit from more up-to-date information Contact - FIBRE.guide

The trouble is that the various organisations involved also have the incorrect information on thier respective websites, i.e totally out of date. We only knew our prospective dates because our Mairie took the trouble to ring round and find out. We only found out a few weeks ago that we were being delayed until ‘some time before 2026’. That’s just for our commune, one of many.

1 Like

I have established that we have fibre, so Orange have these three offers for us. We wont be streaming videos or games. Are we OK to have the cheapest option?
Thanks
Graeme

The 500Mbps package will be fine - even if you want to stream videos and games all day.

1 Like