Just want Internet

Thanks @billybutcher

There are cheaper options. The cheapest offer is 41.99€ after the first year. If you don’t need support, the low cost version of Orange, SOSH, will be and will be without any commitment. Other operators will probably also have low and premium offers.

1 Like

In the first paragraphs and The Aude page does say everywhere will be connected by 2026. It is quite possible it says your commune is connected, but that may only mean a high percentage rather than 100%.

Did the eligibility test PARTICULIERS | Émeraude give any more detail of whether/when or did it just say not yet?

Since we’re talking prices, and sharing situations, I pay €12 a month for 200Go data (more than enough for me), €1 something a month for a fixed phone number (OVH) that gives loads of free minutes to most everywhere (not mobiles though) and €2pm with SIM+ that gives me 4 hours of calls on my mobile.

I never use any of them to their totality. But I also have no friends.

Nobody is connected in my commune. Some communes nearby are, but not us. Émeraude is useless in forecasting when we will be connected, the Mairie has a lot more info than can be gleaned online.

:grin::face_with_hand_over_mouth::hear_no_evil::crazy_face::joy:

and therein lies the difficulty…
our commune is connected to fibre but our lieu-dit of a few houses - some kilometres distant from the centre ville - is not and will unlikely become so in the foreseeable future (according to the maire) which makes the link an unreliable resource in some cases, sadly.

2 Likes

I know the feeling, just 2km from our house they are enjoying 1gb speeds whereas we get (and will continue to get) 2.5mb

1 Like

Do you know where your phone exchange is - doesn’t sound like it is in the village as 2.5Mbps on ADSL corresponds typically to a 5-6km line.

I don’t know where it is.

Possibly time to look at the Bouygues 4g offering again.

Mais oui, all these 1000s of km of fibre optic cable laid down at great cost is of no use if the final metres to the house are still copper. As mentioned above, the little lieu-dits will probably never see it… though I guess there might be some benefit to having the local exchange cabled up.

I moved from Orange to Sosh and found the support actually improved.

With Orange, if a problem occurred I had to phone them - frequently taking several attempts to get them to answer and then waiting several days without phone or internet until it was fixed.

Sosh is far more proactive - if there is a problem in the area they text my mobile with an explanation and resolution time. Moreover, they also credit my mobile with 200Gb of additional data and provider links if you need to find out how to use your mobile phone as a home hub. There’s is also a helpful web page dedicated to reporting faults.

I have unlimited ADSL broadband on the home router, and a mobile contact that gives me 80Gb/month in France, of which up to 10Gb can be used in the UK.

My total bill is just under 30€ per month.

2 Likes

Only 10mb?

1 Like

Things must be looking up for us as our Lieu Dit has had a change of name and we are now a Route de…

I trust that we will now inevitably be connected to a gigabit network shortly.

Hah, ditto!! You’re not my neighbour are you? :wink:

Sadly, our new ‘Route des’ address just confuses delivery folk and the like because there are no corresponding street name signs! How anyone is supposed to know that the D road outside is ‘Route des x’ is beyond me. Ah well, progress of sorts I guess. We’ve reverted to our previous address, for now at least.

We also had all of our house numbers changed - some people have put up the new numbers, others have not which does add to the general confusion.

My list of people to advise of change of address (without moving house) is very long - many of them will not accept the change as it does not appear in the drop down options on their Web pages.

Ditto again - including, in my case, les impots. We were notified of our change of address (and number) a couple of years ago now but it obviously takes a number of years to filter through. Fortunately, our ld never has had numbers so we’re not in a mix and match situation.

As you suggest, there are implications for online payment and delivery validation etc, hence me reverting to our original address. No probs as I was used to delivery companies et al phoning asking ‘where are you’! In fact, I put us on Google maps, that made life simpler.

aha… Adressage has hit your community… street names and house numbers should soon be available and/or in place…

The last few metres being copper is of no significance to 99% of rural internet users who don’t want to run an OnlyFans account.

For those of us which can’t get DSL at all due to distance from the exchange/serving node, having 40-50 mbps which doesn’t disappear when it rains or the Disney subsidiary providing your connection forgets you exist over the weekend.

1 Like

Thank you - well spotted. It’s 10Gb and I’ve now corrected my original post.

1 Like