Just want Internet

Indeed not (not that I know what OnlyFans is, but I can guess, given context, that it’s high bandwidth) It’s the same point from a different perspective; the promised infrastructure will not be delivered to everyone.

I remember being chuffed to bits, when we moved here, that the previous owner’s dial-up internet could be replaced by rADSL (a kind of lower speed, ‘stretched out’ ADSL, if you’re not familiar) True, it wasn’t top of the game but it was sufficient for my then purposes. Living now in an era of streamed TV etc, those purposes change.

1 Like

This might be a useful reference Fibre Optic Network - Wholesale

Taking a quick look at Sosh, think I may well take up their services once my current contracts expire.

Currently with Orange for the internet, so guess Sosh would be similar performance.

For the mobile I have SFR, which is substantially more costly versus Sosh, but it works where I am, so just wondering how I can establish if Sosh would also work with good signal??

When I do change operators, does anyone know if it’s necessary for me to cancel the current services, or would Sosh do that after signing up???

If you’re cancelling a contract with a different operator, Sosh will handle it. They dealt with my Free.fr mobile contract absolutely seamlessly - which, if you’ve ever tried to change or cancel Free you’ll recognise is quite a feat.

4 Likes

I thought that, but my speeds on Sosh are about 20% faster than I used to get with Orange, even though it was the same physical line and Livebox.

1 Like

From 2026 Orange are phasing out copper wire throughout France and it should all have been removed by 2030 The end of the copper wire telephone network

Very helpful thanks - did Sosh also cancel and transfer your internet service??

Apologies if I’ve missed it, but I’ve looked through this thread and I can’t find any comments on the claim that Orange appeals because they have an English phone desk.

I don’t know whether this is still the case, but their English speaking service was, until recently, utterly useless. It was a helpline in name only. To stand any chance of being able to actually speak to anyone you had to phone at precisely the time that the line opened - 9 am - and take your chance on being lucky enough to catch someone. If you left it even five minutes after opening time, you’d either be in a queue for ever or alternately get a response saying that they were so busy you’d have to call back later. In fairness to them when/if you did actually get to speak to someone they were pretty knowledgeable and helpful (with one particular exception when I got to speak to the rudest man in France) but it was a total ordeal.
Is this still the case? I’m genuinely interested to know. It’s a generalisation, but if the number of times that the windows of their local shop gets broken is a result of their general level of service, probably not.

We moved to Bouygues and their level of service, for us at least, has been exemplary. A bit of a diversion from the original topic (I don’t think that they do internet only lines) and probably an invitation for people to say how bad Bouygues are, but there you go.

Sorry, meant to say probably is, not probably not.

We have been using Bouygues 4G for some time now and their service level is very good.

they do… see this link here

I’m not sure that is the case tbh.
When we had an Orange account, convention at the time suggested that the best time to call was about 12:00 CEST and we consistently managed to get an answer pretty quickly at that time.

Frankly - not our experience in 10 plus years of using them before moving to Bouygues.

Must say, I have found the English speaking Orange helpline incredibly helpful. Almost every time I’ve called, the call has been answered almost immediately. I had an issue with the line losing connection periodically, and the result has been that Orange refunded 10 out of the last 12 months since signing up. So, I guess they’ve improved since you last used Orange. Having said all of this, I will now move to Sosh, driven by the lower cost. Currently pay 44€/month, but can’t complain really as the cost for the last 12 months has been 88€ :grin:, but the line has been disrupted and I have had a large number of calls with the helpline to finally straighten out the problem.

1 Like

We have 3 different addresses, two of which don’t exist. One address seems to correspond to a field about 2km away. At least that’s where the name points us at. One is our real address, another is the address that EDF insist we have, and the other (the one 2km away) is the one where all the telecom people insist we live. No wonder we don’t have fibre, they’re probably installing it in a field full of sheep as we speak.

2 Likes

We have the same problem with Orange they cannot recognize our address Route d’A they insist it’s Route de S computer says non🤔

That’s what they all say :joy:

2 Likes

Happy days… :partying_face: we’ve received an email from Orange today to say that fibre is finally available at our property. I have therefore decided to not do any more work today and instead work out which package to go for out of these:

I know which one I want, but it’s perhaps not the one we really need as there’s only 2 of us here.

1 Like

PS - where’s the best place to buy new hard drives these days? :wink:

I think “Noah’s spare parts emporium” (arks and other modern technology spares always in stock) should have some :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ha, yes perhaps I should use this opportunity to upgrade my PC to use those new fangled NVMe thingies. I’d only just got used to the old fashioned SSDs…!

1 Like

2mbps? they should think themselves lucky.

far, far less than that here and only ADSL. No whisper of fibre this far out of town.

Sooner than fibre we might one day get a satellite connection…!

the things I have read of late regarding internet via satellite have not been encouraging… expensive - poor weather resistance - limited downloads - availability.
I can’t remember if you have looked at 4G…