King Charles III

Some supposed great moment of national communion no doubt, I expect there will be ancients staggering to their feet filmed to shame all the cynical, there may even who knows also be a bit of blind people suddenly seeing, the halt and lame leaping about and speaking in tongues duly documented on someone’s telephone which will no doubt lead, post coronation, to canonisation.

Hokum :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

It’ll be all the drunks raising a glass and swearing mostly, swear words of course as they won’t be able to say allegiance.

2 Likes

Anyone who does watch the coronation should do it in their dressing gown.

4 Likes

While laying in front of a bulldozer.

I plan to keep a firm grasp of my towel the whole time.

3 Likes

I am tempted to swear out loud at the whole farrago.

If, by some fluke, I turn on the TV and find Charlie Big Lugs wearing a metal hat next weekend I’ll probably be inspired to shout a choice selection of swearing at the box.

1 Like

Not even with a loaded gun pointed at my head would I swear allegiance to the king. He, if he is absolutely necessary, should swear allegiance to the people. I should add, I don’t think that he or his family are at all necessary in public life in the 21st century.

8 Likes

I am happy to do that.
He has always been ahead of his time and his love of the countryside and the people who work and live there is apparent.
His work with young people, especially those who have been helped to set up businesses by the Prince’s Trust and now at Dumfries House, completely overshadows anything achieved by MPs.
He wasn’t allowed to marry the woman he loved and the disastrous marriage to poor Diana was the result.
I think that having a Head of State that actually cares about the state of the world first is an example to politicians of all parties and he is respected throughout
The world.

5 Likes

I always regarded him as an individual who wished to preserve the past and stop any changes. The Prince’s Trust has been very successful and was a great PR move.

2 Likes

Not to be worn again after next weekend, to be kept in storage on display until the next coronation. Cute presentation.

How much is the crown worth?

Come to that, if all property belonging to the monarchy were to be auctioned, how much would it bring? Would it make much of a dent in the economy if allocated to the public purse….

As neither a monarchist nor an antimonarchist, I agree with everything you say, except for this strange call for speaking out loud an allegiance, on cue. Too antiquated a request for my liking. Too much like doffing the cap.

Otherwise, I agree with your sentiments.

1 Like

I’m much the same as you, but my wife is having a Coronation party for 30 on Saturday for the local Anglo French association, a lot of those coming to watch are French who seem to have a fascination with it, I’ll be cutting grass or if it’s raining, plumbing a bathroom😉

2 Likes

TBH while I’m moderately pro monarchy, I wouldn’t be watching the coronation even if I had a tele. Pomp, circumstance and a hefty dose of religious practice from a previous culture don’t float my boat, even if I agree with much of the essence of the things being done.

I shall be watching as I tend to watch events that I feel are important for me to experience and understand.

I act like a sponge, soaking up history, whatever be the subject matter.

I have a 4 hour drive that day and shall miss it, but many of my pupils who have been keen watchers of The Crown on Netflix will be glued to it so they can tell me all about it.

Will you ask them if they would like to adopt him for France then?
2nd thoughts, no, don’t do that, I live here now. :joy:

Oh they are fascinated the way people are at the zoo.

7 Likes

I’d managed to refrain posting anything on Charles, but don’t tempt me to get started on the subject of zoos - they’re even worse than hereditary monarchies !

3 Likes

it’s easier to close a zoo!

Good point! - though it’s still surprisingly difficult.

Mind you subjects of a monarch (hate the term) can always emigrate to a republic, but that is seldom an option for captive zoo animals. The Himalayan tahrs onTable Mountain were an interesting exception.

1 Like

Even emigrating to a republic doesn’t always remove the brainwashing!

1 Like