Knowing where someone lives (roughly)

Oftentimes when discussing a subject, or when reading a thread, I think it would be great to know where a contributor/commenter lives, just approximately. I was reading a thread about ‘la chasse’ and several people said 'Well, where I live they do such-and-such . . . '. I would have dearly liked to know where they lived, just roughly. Likewise, threads regarding weather, gardening etc. can be very location-relevant and a contributer’s location would be helpful.
I think it would be really useful if a person’s approximate location appeared after their username when they post a comment. I’m not talking about their address (lol) but maybe their departement or town, as they saw fit. What do others think of this? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Folk can put themselves on the User Map… you can do so too, if you so wish…

Thanks Stella, the map certainly is useful.
I was thinking more along the lines of having something immediately within the thread so it wouldn’t be necessary to leave the thread to check the map, for example. It was just something that occurred to me when I was reading the thread about ‘La Chasse’.
I will have a better look at the map after dinner this evening. Thanks again :slight_smile:

People could easily say here in ‘N/S/E/W/central 51’ or wherever.

1 Like

Or add department number after their user name ?

1 Like

“Or add department number after their user name ?”

That would be a good idea, something people could add into their username so it comes up all the time . . . .

1 Like

I’ve moved this topic to Forum Support where it really belongs.

There was some discussion about this when the users map feature plugin was introduced and I think it remains a feature that can be introduced with a bit of site tweaking.

However, I think @james would need to be convinced that the feature should be introduced before launching it - given the issues the site faced when the Users Map was first introduced from what I recall.

That would also require intervention by James since changing names is an Admin only option these days.

I personally think this is the most sensible option.

3 Likes

It relies on people remembering to do it though :thinking:

1 Like

If it is relevant to the discussion I imagine they will!

3 Likes

or someone later down the topic where it is relevant will ask for clarification :wink:

2 Likes

That’s what happened with the ‘la chasse’ thread but the question is (last time I looked) unanswered. Also it doesn’t help a person reading older threads which they find interesting. I think having the department number in the ursername would be very useful . . . .

3 Likes

Frankly, it would be more useful to me to know/remember in which country a Poster actually lives. It can be quite confusing sometimes… :wink: :roll_eyes: with the comments/remarks.

I’m happy for folk to know I live in France… that’s sufficient as far as I’m concerned.
Let’s face it… folk no longer have to give their real names, so why should they need to give a real “locality”…
Country, yes that makes sense, anything else can be added as and when… if the poster feels it needs to be.

1 Like

ChrisK 17 seems sensible to me. Kills two birds with one stone. Department number and age…

And inside trouser leg measurement?

1 Like

I can’t find the topic you are referring to exactly but in this one the question about giving own whereabouts was answered in the next post but that aside, the topic is one of wide interest across France and the locale was not directly specific to the matter under discussion from what I can remember of it (with a quick scan of the posts).
I’m not entirely sure in that case that I follow your point…
Sometime people leave the site for all sorts of reason (or move area) and including a locale with their username could, over time, become less relevant.