La Chasse - are they really a law unto themselves?

Hmm… what makes you think that???

We have 3 Chasse in our commune. I would say that 30% are retired and the rest range from 20 upwards…
I heartily agree that, in the main, it’s folk breaking the rules which cause most accidents…

I think it’s politicians not listening to what most people want, regarding hunting.

Just found this…

“There are about 1.2 million hunters in France, and together with their supporters and families, this could represent a pool of around five million voters.”

2 Likes

Principally direct observation of hunters in the Aveyron, Cantal and Lot.

Incidentally the average age of hunters in France in 2019 was ‘over forty-five’ and the largest social group, retraités célibataires

Is there a restriction regarding where folk with gun permits are allowed to hunt?

I see many younger (~under 30) around the Luberon but am wondering if they actually come here on ‘hunting holidays’? It certainly was the case on pheasant shoots in UK.

I think @Bonzocat ’s point about families playing the numbers is also an interesting point. Unless, they only count permit/gun holders and not just supporters in the vote?

So true. The thought of anyone updating an app is laughable when it seems to be a frequent occurrence that hunters have not even spent a split second double-checking what they are shooting before doing so.

In the last month, two dogs have been shot near me. Both out on a walk, and one was on a farm track and not in the woods. Obviously I worry every time I walk mine in the forest during the hunt season.

The other thing is having done an experiment with a GPS tracker on one of my dogs, it loses signal all the time in the woods. Said dog now has to remain on lead as the tracker worked well enough to establish he was going quite far and crossing roads.

Pop into your local hunting and fishing shop and you’ll see a whole rack of hunter’s orange kit, including very lightweight and breathable mesh much like the regular yellow hi-vis vests that you can just wear over your outer layer.

I’d get a mesh backed cap in the same orange while you’re there as the head is often the first part of a person you see.

We’ve been shot at whilst walking on a public road (not chemin) and no amount of hi-vis gear would have prevented that as the guy who emptied both barrels in our direction simply didn’t follow the rules.

Good grief… it nearly always comes down to that… follow the Rules and all should be well… ignore the Rules and … who knows… :roll_eyes:

Yesterday… we didn’t meet any hunters but several drivers who seemed hell-bent on ignoring every safe rule of the road…
So guns/cars/whatever… lethal weapons in the wrong hands…
Is it just something lacking in their brains or is it the idea that somehow “they” will never have an accident… :rage:

1 Like

How did you react Tim17?

And what did the shooter have to say for himself?

I will be very interested to see what restrictions the government puts on La Chasse.
It’s clear (to me at least) that something needs to be done… but just how one stops “a hunter” from being a complete plonker (and a dangerous one at that)… I’m not sure.

Incidentally, the recent report that 80% of French voted for a ban on Sunday Hunt… is just a little deceptive… as only 1,000 people answered the question.

and, the latest Hunt related death a few days ago, was when a Chasseur mortally wounded himself while putting his weapon into his car…
Rules say the weapon should not have been loaded… but, of course, we know how folk forget the rules… (and some simply ignore them)… any needless death is so sad…

EDIT: Réalisé sur un échantillon représentatif de 1 000 personnes/Carried out on a representative sample of 1,000 people

2 Likes

No change then.

I’m thinking perhaps we all need to rethink how we react/behave in Chasse situations…
More enforcement of Chasseurs (spot checks perhaps)…
More folk actually reporting any breaches of the Rules…

Certainly think the extra/repeated training might have some beneficial effect… if only to point out how easily one can fall into bad habits… and jerk 'em back to reality about Guns being Lethal…

As for the App… who knows…

The new measures are a waste of time, who is going to police the ‘no alcohol’ rule and the ‘app’ is only voluntary.

Macron is a friend of and is supported by the hunting lobby so was never going to push for change.

1 Like

Entirely agree - and it’s not no alcohol, but no “excessive” alcohol which is basically saying it’s ok to drink. Nobody ever thinks they drink to excess.

Isn’t it Brigitte Macron who is the hunter’s friend?

We have a guy in the village like that. He’s come close to hitting me twice. There’s a crossroads he drives straight over at probably 70km/h in a 50km/h zone. He never seems to look or slow down. He came within a few metres of collecting a large 4x4 last week who was coming from his right. I was coming from the other direction. People have complained about him many times and I believe the Gendarmes have been to see him several times but it doesn’t stop him. One of these days he’ll kill either himself, someone else, or both. Idiot.

Unless the Gendarmes actually catch him “being bad” I think they can’t take the official steps towards confiscating his DL and/or the car… or whatever.
From experience within my Commune… even the family declaring XY was unfit to drive… made no difference… it was a very scary time for any/all of us walking our pavements or driving on our roads.
I believe it was only when XY was declared mentally ill and subsequently taken into care, that the Gendarmes/family and everyone breathed a sigh of relief.

Yes, that’s how it was described to me. All they can do is have a word with him, which seems to make no difference.

Is there not a case for installing traffic calming measures? Virtually every village round us these days has sleeping policemen and/or chicanes with traffic signs saying 30km.

Until we get traffic lights, it seems that nothing will slowdown the vast majority of our road users…
30km is clearly marked and yet they roar through at 50,60,70…
there’s a screeching of brakes when they get to the tight-blind-bend… just alongside the church… where the stone buildings on both sides offer no leeway… and, if they’re lucky, there’s nothing coming the other way… phew.