La fin d'une ère

It’s an observation, I have not insulted Mr Hodge. I imagine he feels exactly the same way about me. Should I just accept him spreading false information at this delicate time?

Absolutely not, just keep it civilised and by doing so this does lead to a more convincing argument.

1 Like

As I said I did not name call, I just made an observation.

@Mat_Davies is perfectly correct and it is personal. Please do not do so again as personal comments contravene our T&C - thanks.

2 Likes

Is my edit acceptable? I’m not meaning to insult anyone, I really was intending to point out my position.

Fine by me :slight_smile:

I think I now appreciate Robert’s stance, in that he seems to consider himself a visitor to France with no wish to join in, and he never embraced EU citizenship but felt he had it thrust on him, so I don’t see anything hypocritical in it.
I don’t understand why a person would choose to live in a country they don’t feel any part of or any connection with. Nor why a person would shun a project that for all its imperfection has so much to offer in terms of opportunites - study, research, personal development, enlightenment, etc. I get that Robert has been able to travel and enjoy fulfilling life experiences without the benefit of the EU project, but doesn’t he have any empathy for the many Brits whose choices and horizons were vastly expanded and are now shrunk again? But I guess that’s outside the scope of this discussion.

4 Likes

We only had two choices of government and one was too hideous to imagine.
So we are where we are. I hope there is a deal of some sort, probably not the comprehensive deal mooted but there will be something. It will be of benefit to both sides to get something in place.

No. Thanks to a bit of forward planning in my youth I was able to take early occupational retirement.

Yes, that is the next battle Paul. As someone who is obliged by law to pay UK income tax I do feel that I should still be able to vote in UK elections that determine how my tax £s are spent.
Taxation without representation is morally wrong in my view.

Yet you are happy not to vote in France?

Two sets of circumstances come to mind Mat;
Firstly, if the EU were to drop the concept of ever closer political and constitutional union, and secondly, if Her Majesty and her heirs apparent made it plain that they wanted the UK to cease to exist as an independent country and become part of a united Europe with a single government and head of state.

???
I think Her Majesty and her heirs apparent would be alone in wanting that…

It isn’t within her powers anyway.

Seems unlikely given that - as I have previously pointed out - it is committed to closer and closer union from its very foundation, it is not something that was tacked on at a later date.

For me Anna, I never really did choose but it just sort of happened as a consequence of a phone call from the UK during which my former lady wife made it plain that she wanted a divorce.
She kept the property in the UK and I had the one here in France. Everyone has to live somewhere and it was, and still is, financially more prudent to remain here than to return to the UK. To be honest, were it not for the extremely high cost of healthcare I could see myself living in the USA.

I just don’t think that people should have the ‘right’ per se to go off to other countries without asking first. Prospective employers ask for references, and landlords ask for proof of employment and income, so is it really that far out of the realms of reasonableness to state one’s purpose, and verify that one is a ‘fit and proper person’ when asking for a visa or work permit.
People come to study, work, and live in the UK from all over the world. The person from Panama has to ask permission but the person from Portugal does not. Isn’t that discrimination on the grounds of nationality or current residency ? I reckon that it is, and that it is wrong.

By the way – I do ‘join in’ when it seems productive to do so. I help out with the college students English language learning from time to time, and I was President of our local Franglais Association for 4 years before health matters intervened and forced me to ‘isolate’ myself for the best part of a year.

2 Likes

Indeed so, but the difference is that such is my choice.

1 Like

Thanks for explaining that Robert, you didn’t have to. But it does help to understand your viewpoint.

What a disgusting comment.

This is quite interesting I thought

(good that the EU believes in transparency)

1 Like

It’s taken three plus years for you to post one , critical comment. You haven’t exactly encouraged debate on here have you?