Labour's Anti-Semitism

So it seems some Trump talk spreads to France regarding the Virus being overestimated, masks being dangerous and lots also die from flu

Isn’t it time to just accept that the cry of 'anti semitism" has nothing to do with racism? Against a background of disregarding the right to exist of a whole section of humanity (the Palestinians), a common thread throughout Zionist history, doesn’t this make supporters of this belief racial supremacists? Then there is the creation of this State defined by race as it actually is, by choosing a country to colonise that was 94% not Jewish (as it was when extremists in the Jewish community invented Zionism). Add to the equation one of the most comprehensive acts of ethnic cleansing in the history of mankind, and the actual creation of a state where your rights are dependent on your race, it seems clear to me that the cry of anti semitism is nothing more than a winge by extremists unhappy at being held to account. Like a growing number of people forced out of established political parties because I won’t roll about in the gutter of racial supremacist values, I resent the influence of Zionism on my freedom of speech, and the corrupting affect supporters of Zionism and Israhell have on politics everywhere. It cannot possibly end well. After all, with children in military prisons without charge, people being maimed “to send a message” (snipers shoot Palestinians in the knees) and a horribly large number of people murdered with impunity, those of us criticising these barbarities because we are anti racist, are hardly “racist”. Interesting though how they never use the term racist, which supports my view that they are only concerned about one section of humanity. If this makes me " anti semitic" that’s fine, because I will wear that T shirt that reads “I believe all human beings are equal, therefore I am anti semitic”, with pride. It’s worth pointing out that there are few if any Jewish people in detention centres awaiting deportation, or popular campaigns against Jewish people being stopped and searched or beaten up by the Police. Jews have also risen, through education and hard work to the top of society. Evidentially, there is little, if any racism happening against Jewish citizens. Wake up people, our very style of Government, and treasured Freedom of speech, is under attack by supporters of a State that has actually built an Apartheid wall, and recently enshrined in law the dominance of Jewish people in Israel.

2 Likes

The way this discussion has (inevitably) gone illustrates perfectly well the reason that Labours anti-semitism problem is the gift that keeps on giving for it’s enemies. The claim that this problem is exaggerated is quite funny. What do expect your enemies to do, understate your problems? Of course the Tories and their supporters exaggerated it and they would have been fools not to. They’ve got all sides of the Labour Party salivating like Pavlov’s dogs and trying to eat each other at the sound of the bell. It’s all very sad.

Of course Labour’s political opponents will fix on any exaggeration or lie for their attacks - that’s just the usual political knockabout that everybody takes with a pinch of salt.

But this was different. Labour’s supposed ‘antisemitism problem’ has now been exposed by very comprehensive academic research as entirely invented, but around the last election was an overwhelming focus not just of the Tory press, but of institutions like The Guardian and the BBC that people rightly expect to be more objective (both have this requirement in their constitutions).
If for example you take the BBC’s political reporting before the last UK election, the facts are stark:

• In reality 0.1% (one in every thousand) of Labour Party members were ever accused of anti-semitism (and this includes all those accusations - the majority - that were unfounded); by most measures this is less than findings of antisemitism in the population as a whole!
  • By contrast, 54% of Conservative Party members (540 in every thousand) have been found to be islamophobic.
  • However, BBC online referred to antisemitism in Labour over 50 times more often (5,000%) than islamophobia in the Tory Party, and over 10 times (1,000%) more frequently in broadcasts.
2 Likes

Can you please provide the links to the Conservative Islamaphobia figures please Geof ,it’s mot that I doubt you but I do like to see proof of assertions like these

All the figures given are from the book Bad news for Labour.
The authors are:
Greg Philo, Professor of Communications and Social Change at the University of Glasgow, and Director of the Glasgow University Media Unit; Mike Berry, lecturer in the Journalism School at Cardiff University; Justin Schlosberg, lecturer in Journalism and Media at Birkbeck College, University of London; Edmund Safra, Network Fellow at Harvard University; Antony Lerman, Senior Fellow at the Bruno Kreisky Forum for International Dialogue in Vienna and Honorary Fellow of the Parkes Institute for the Study of Jewish/non-Jewish Relations at Southampton University; and David Miller, Professor of Political Sociology at the University of Bristol and director of the Organisation for Propaganda Studies (and incidentally also author of one of the key studies on islamophobia in the UK).

1 Like

My thoughts exactly…

1 Like

You might also be interested in this Eddie… Thank goodness for academic studies that expose media bias: this one on BBC journalists’ Twitter habits shows they were most likely to follow Lib Dem and Change UK MPs, then Tories and Labour MPs hostile to Corbyn…

2 Likes