Labour's Anti-Semitism

Donna - you have a point re: anti-Semitism vs anti-Israeli feelings but to drift off into fantasy theories of a world controlled by the Illuminati is not credible.

And please do not spread disinformation about Covid - your last two claims are easily disproven, wearing masks does not cause pneumonia (or how would operating theatre staff ever survive) and there have been around 75,000 excess deaths in the UK attributable to Covid since the pandemic started.

10 Likes

One thing this pandemic has proven is how many people have got qualifications in epidemiology, virology ,medicine etc just from looking on google Also people who could run the NHS ,Police service ,military. Where were you all when we needed you

5 Likes

Your first point is utterly absurd and baseless. Your second is very much debateable.

But the Haaretz article is journalism, not science - it repeats some well-known and oft-exposed myths such as the higher intelligence of jewish people. ‘Race science’ won’t go away - debunking it is like wack-a-mole - very similar to climate breakdown denial. We have to bear in mind that almost all relevant scientists are saying that race does not exist, and to look at the political drivers for the tiny minority of outliers on this.

1 Like

I just posted that as an opposite view to Donna’s. Ask David Baddiel (and others) if he thinks discrimination against Jewish people is racist or not.
I have no particular axe to grind in this argument. Just thought another viewpoint was interesting.
Izzy x

3 Likes

As much as I understand your anger I would suggest you remove the “ignorant human being” comment as this will likely get you into trouble with admin. Personal insults really aren’t allowed here, no matter the provocation.
Izzy x

4 Likes

Yes please remove it @Toblerone

I think that they were only allowed to forward plan for an Influenza Pandemic. Short sightedness especially after SARS and MERS.

I think you’ve shown your true colours.

What I’ve written is sadly factual and be researched as such.

I could go on with a long list, but I’m sure people can research for themselves.

Please remove this post as it breaches our T & C. Thanks.

I think not.

It is precisely this type of uninformed and opinionated clap trap that makes my point. Finding three clippings from the internet does not an argument make - or prove.

Everyone knows that Biden is no fan of Israel. His past behaviour is proof of that, and no article in the ArabAmerican, which, surprise surprise, might JUST have an angle, doesn’t prove anything, any more than an article from the Anti-Anti Defamation League.
If you trawl the sewers, you know what you get.
And please - since when does ANYONE believe most of what BoJo has to say. Once again - actions speak louder than words.
And this is not to defend some of Israel’s more unpalatable actions - of which there are plenty. But to start positing that the ADL - a purely US-based group of disgruntled - is in control of everything that the UK government is doing is not only stupid, it is actually offensive.
If any post should be removed, it is the one (of several) that the misinformed and clearly prejudiced lady has placed here.

I had a horrible feeling that by starting a discussion about anti-semitism in the Labour Party would - at some stage - start the anti-Israel and Anti-Jewish diatribes. Then I thought to myself that the audience here are somewhat older and more informed than the usual folk.

Mais, non!!

Shame on you.

You are breaching our T&C . You have 15 minutes to remove your posts or your membership will be revoked. Thanks.

@cat @james - time to lock this thread?

2 Likes

The interesting thing is that the thread was started with the explicit intention to ‘put the cat amongst the pigeons’ - but then the pigeons came home to roost!

If this thread is closed then the idiots have won, better to let it fizzle out in the way most threads do.

1 Like

Mmm interesting thought Tim. One sure way that a thread fizzles out is when the discussion meanders off course and everyone else gets bored with the digression. Maybe you could suggest one or two themes that the rest of us could take up that would enable it to meander to the point of total indifference?
I think we need @Peter_Goble to help with this one. :slight_smile:
Indeed, one could start a discussion about why it is that threads meander off course and whether some of those who post are more likely to do it than others? Does that show that they have poor attention spans? Or that they, in fact, are more erudite? Or that they have a more interesting hinterland and can draw on a wider range of life experiences?
I also think we need the original poster to get cross and say let’s keep to the topic. Then that enables Stella @smw to come in with a few soothing words about conversations at cocktail parties, by which time everyone else is looking for another drink and the plate of canapes. :grin:
Just a thought, :grin:

6 Likes

But I thought the Jewish state Jewish race/religion (not sure I understand the difference) were as one in the eyes of the current hard right Israeli government.