Let there be no doubt, Bojo wants a trade war with the EU

Johnson’s flailing non strategy is all over the place…… The lying clown gets clownier (to coin a phrase).

I can’t wait to see what’s going to happen tomorrow in Belfast.

I think the greasy Owl of the number 10 remove is in for six of the best. Yaroo

I think that the EU is a mindless bureaucracy that should be scrapped

just as well (presumably) you no longer have a vote to influence such a decision…

Excellent

Would you care to give examples of “mindless” EU bureaucracy, why it is mindless and how it could better accomplish its aims.

Otherwise I don’t think your comment adds a lot to the debate.

1 Like

We are all entitled to our views Raymond. For example I think you are either joking or you’ve lost you mind :joy:

3 Likes

indeed, it adds nothing…

I do not wish to enter a debate with someone of a diametrically opposite viewpoint.

hummm then why make such a comment on a site like SF :dizzy_face:
Are you sure you are on the right forum?

2 Likes

So why post, if you do not wish to engage?

Or do you just want lots of people to pop up and say “I agree” so that you can feel justified in your opinion, without having to engage any of the little grey cells (as Poirot might say).

Unlikely to happen on SF, I’m afraid.

Ah, I see Graham beat me to the obvious question.

1 Like

Hmmm I thought that was the whole point of a debate to be honest.
One definition I found - “ A debate is an organized argument or contest of ideas in which the participants discuss a topic from two opposing sides.”

5 Likes

otherwise, its’ just ego-stroking :slightly_smiling_face:
Not that I mind stroking your ego… :smile:

1 Like

The EU presupposes lockstep lives and regulation from A to Z with little or no variation according to States needs and it presupposes a right of taxation which has never been fully justified or accounted for.
That is unacceptable; for a decent EU it should start with States needs and differences with a minimum of EU umbrella overburden.
Which is what happens in fact as States like France seem to do what they want and give two fingers to Brussels, so it is a sham.
Unlike the US where there is a greater tension between the States and Washington, not always healthy I admit, but better than a single controlling central state.

I wonder if you have that right… there are 27 States in the EU and each contributes to the determination of what membership of the “club” entails… They all act in concert - the EU does not act alone in the determination of policy.

I think that Brussels is. very detached from the ‘ground’ in each State and is concerned with pushing its own agenda which is subject to many outside which are not the EU member states.
Hence my wish for a looser confederation of trading states as the EU, not a single block

As you might imagine, I don’t agree with you, but I did find your logic interesting, "little or no variation according to States needs” yet “states like France seem to do what they want”. Which is it? :joy:

I’m happy with (and one could even say proud of) our European system, if I preferred the US system I’d live there :thinking:.

2 Likes

You have to remember that the EU’s raison d’etre is the single market, and that the member states (even the UK) all signed up to that and all it entails.

From that flows the freedom of movement of labour, capital, goods and services and the regulation to make, and keep the playing field level.

Indeed you could make the argument that the EU does not go far enough and that an EU wide level playing field for the benefits/pensions/healthcare systems is needed.

Mind you I don’t think the EU gets everything right, but overall I think it has been a good thing for its member states (as the state of the UK post Brexit is amply demonstrating).

3 Likes

Actually, the original purpose was to prevent another war in Europe, but it has obviously achieved far, far more than that. I’m very proud of all the EEC/EU has achieved and I love being a European with all the cultural and other diversity that brings. I feel very sorry for the enlightened 48% that have had that ripped away from them by liars and charlatans.

1 Like

Brussels pretends to run a lock step one size fits all system but many States get round it, ignore it or simply refuse to implement it.
It also has immense problems with the European Parliament which is, imnvho corrupt.
Freedom of movement is a bit of a myth too.

John, I would, like you, not like the US; I chose that as an example the tension between the Centre and the ‘Periphery’,so to speak.
Like you, I like living in Europe and was very disappointed by Brexit though I think I understand it. My blood family is European earning their livings in Belgium.
If you want to see how Europe works just become a student of Belgian politics; you will soon lose your hair!:scream_cat:

1 Like

evidence???
or just anecdotal…

Refused oversight of the spending of their considerable expenses, the decision is in itself corrupt and corrupting.
Just for starters.