Life in the UK Test, I failed!

Nope…nope…never played it! :wink:

20 of 24 points, (83.33%)

There was a fair bit of guessing on the history and sports questions

I’m not looking forward to the French test - I only remembered recently that one of the Napoleons tried to invade Britain.

Strange but I have the distinct recollection of going to a pub for a pint (or three) and a chat with friends?

Sounds about right? I failed by being born and raised in Slough!!!

Those were the good old days Norman, before the ear-splitting music etc !!

Worked in Slough in another life - This might cheer you up Norman:

yep, 16/24 - rubbish at history

Likewise.

Phew… it’s clear to me that I am not fit to live in the UK… so I shall simply have to continue here in France… :hugs::hugs::hugs:

1 Like

Don’t fret. SOme of the answers were flawed or incorrect. It states that the UK is a democracy for a start and the UK is a Plutocracy. Then it lists the national trust as an environmental charity and again that too is incorrect.

1 Like

@Pam_Thompson Why don’t you class the NT as an environmental charity? It is one of the largest landowners in the UK, much of it countryside or coast, so is responsible for a huge chunk of the environment.

1 Like

Being a large taxpayer funded landowner doesn’t mean you are an environmental charity on a par with Greenpeace. NT involved in making profits mainly and supports hunting. It’s run for profit .

The National Trust threatened me when I had just come out of hospital.
There was part of Minchinhampton Common between two parts of our garden.
They threatened to block the sale of our house if we did not give up our legal right of way between them.
I was diagnosed with breast cancer two weeks later so we gave in.
Later groups of people all over the country who had the same problem of ransom strips took the National Trust to court and won their case.
The National Trust has a reputation as a bullying landlord for their farm tenants and, yet again, all those who come out from the towns to visit historic houses do so wearing rose coloured spectacles.

We visited Hardmans house in Rodney Street, Liverpool. He was a photographer in the 20th century. He had a massive Georgian house and when he died it was in quite a bad state as he and his wife were hoarders. The NT took the house on and with lottery funding restored it and put everything back to how it was found.
It’s a fascinating place to visit.
But, as I walked round all I could think was Hardman must have had a relative who was entitled to this piece of prime real estate and did they, the NT, pay anything for it. I doubt it. The view from the bedroom window is the Anglican cathedral. And the people who show you round are volunteers. On their website they have a statement on modern slavery! The NT must be worth a fortune on paper.

“Shortly before his death (in 1988) he set up a Trust and bequeathed his house and contents to it, which was subsequently transferred to the National Trust in 2003.”

All seems in order…:wink::relaxed:

1 Like

Fair enough. We weren’t told that on our 90 minute tour. I knew he didn’t have children but most people have relatives. The actual photographer who befriended him saved most of his work, social services were having it all put in a skip and the guy realising the importance of the photographs stopped them.

1 Like

One of the saddest things I saw, many years ago… “someone” was asked to empty the house of the dec’d and they put loads of stuff out for the dustman, including a lidless shoebox full of photos…

This was opposite where my Mum was living and I (being nosy) took a peek at the photos… all old stuff from scenes, sailing barges to family shots from a bygone age…

I felt sad that these people meant nothing any more… no relatives… and once the photos were destroyed, it would be as if they had never been.

OK, I was at an impressionable age but can still remember that ache inside.

3 Likes

Sorry - was this test a warm-up for the sort of question a prospective applicant for UK citizenship might face or part of the audition to be a member of the pub quiz team?

1 Like

Ha ha… no idea… I only had a go to find out what folk were talking about.

I think it is meant to be just a bit of fun…:zipper_mouth_face::relaxed::relaxed:

Not a problem for future generations I think.
Physical 'photos are becoming a rarity.

2 Likes