Life's small irritations

Likewise. And don’t get me started on “Sans Terre” extension leads meant for electric garden tools. I understand the thinking behind it, but I couldn’t find wireable 16A sans terre plugs to save my life when I put EU plugs on all the tools I brought with me from the U.K.

1 Like

I found that by using a small penknife in the hole, scraping out some of the interior plastic material helped in locating the plug in the socket on the corresponding post in the socket.
Not recommended for the metal inserts though :wink:

Also, do unplug your extension lead from the mains before you do this :zap::zap::zap::zap::fire::fire::fire:

3 Likes

Sorry, maybe not clear… it’s the hole in the plug which fits over the post in the socket which I alter in this way. Not possible to do it whilst the plug is in place, of course :wink:

Thanks Graham - just seen your reply and @hairbear so deleted my first response to you! :scream:

it would be impossible to perform this task whilst connected to the power - to be clear, I am referring to the plug on the end of the electrical device, not the electric socket.

The image on the left is the plug, the one on the right the socket

1 Like

Pfft… 240V is merely a tickle. The fun starts when you get across the phases on a 3 phase supply.

1 Like

The latest small irritation? Assembly instructions so small that it needs a magnifying glass to read them. Even that doesn’t work well. Last resort? Scan the leaflet and enlarge the text and print it off, then discover that the first language of the writer of said instructions was obviously Chinese and even when you can read the words they don’t make sense and the pictures aren’t much help either. Took us four hours to put up a new neon light in our utility room (of course not neon these days but LED)

Usually easier to chuck Chinese instructions away and rely on common sense

1 Like

Which restaurant is that?

It’s The Midi in Chandon, Trivy.
It’s just by the N79 and there is a big car park there.
The telephone number is 03 85 50 65 25.
There is a website, but that is the lunch menu from Monday to Friday.

1 Like

Thank you so much Jane!

We might have a meal together sometime.

1 Like

I use my smartphone. Take a pic and Bob’s your uncle! Works for me. Try it…

Even better is a mini Ipad.

Useful in the supermarket I find from time to time.

2 Likes

There are good magnifyer apps, saves the picture process. Using one called magnifier 2023 and its fantastic.

1 Like

Oh, forgotten I’d started this thread. My latest small irritation - the sheer awfulness of the fabrics used to make women’s clothes.

I would like a slightly glamorous but warm blouse for Christmas lunch at friends. Can I find one? Nothing but awful synthetic, horrid to the touch, cold fabrics. Well it saves me spending any money. It’ll be my usual, bought twenty years ago, three-quarter sleeve turquoise sweater.

2 Likes

Tried the magnifier but it acts like a magnifying glass, in that it’s in or out of focus depending on how steady your hand is. A photo is static and always in focus – all you need to do is use the smartphone’s touch screen to enlarge the small print. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I would agree, especially older apps. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rvappstudios.magnifyingglass
Has an auto focus and is way better than any I have used before. Not just a magnifying glass but almost a telescope as well with photo ability built in.

And the fact that women’s trouser pockets are useless flimsy tiny apologies for a pocket, even in jeans which are meant to be epicene, and things like pyjamas are likewise flimsy and skimpy and useless, and even things like socks are made of some vile slithery stuff not wool or cotton.
So I get the boys’ or men’s version. Men’s lovely thick cashmere jerseys are the best.

2 Likes

Because we men pay for dinner?

1 Like