Life's small irritations

I’ll ignore that attempt to get a rise :joy:

You still need somewhere to keep your purse, penknife, keys, telephone, useful bit of string, couple of hair ties, pen etc

2 Likes

That’s a good one certainly. The only criticism is that you hold what you are looking at in one hand and you hold your smartphone in the other, whereas a photo with text enlarged only needs one hand holding the smartphone. Easier from a practical point of view, but I’ve downloaded the app now - like it! :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: Thanks.

very useful - will use it next time I need to remind myself of my car’s tyre pressures

1 Like

What has irritated me for years is SuperU’s extra mature cheddar cheese. From time to time, I have an easy meal – a whole wheat baguette packed with cheddar cheese and spinach.

When I slice SuperU’s extra mature cheddar cheese, it crumbles and I start swearing. Always. So fiddly getting the cheese into the baguette. All bits and pieces. All over the place.

Bought the cheese next to it on the shelf today, ‘Seriously Extra Mature’ and it slices beautifully. No longer so bloody irritating! For me, that’s a life changer. Well worth the extra 9 centimes!

2 Likes

I buy the SU one regularly for the flavour but as you say, its a bugger to slice unless you leave it out for an hour beforehand so it softens. I think it has been frozen to be honest as if you freeze hard cheeses, they always crumble when defrosted. Hasn’t the price gone up a lot lately? My old SU used to sell both of those but this local shop only sells their version. I buy one in LeClerc too

1 Like

3.38 for my local SuperU’s extra mature, and 3.47 a pack for Seriously extra mature.

I’ve downloaded all SuperU receipts for the last 12 months and will set about the mammoth task of adding them all up to see how much I spend on food. Don’t normally worry much about the cost of food but think it wise to do so now.

1 Like

Just discussing with O/H this morning on doing the same and utility bills on the spreadsheet.

The Super U extra mature cheddar has a way better stronger taste and you do know they do it in a sliced pack as well :wink::yum::grin:

When I munched through my Seriously cheddar cheese and spinach baguette today I couldn’t tell there was any difference. So it’s Seriously cheddar from now on, from the slicing point of view.

I have cheddar on baguette as Welsh Rarebit too. Another easy meal.

Here is one I have just finished :wink::grin:

I haven’t seen those in my SuperU, but have found it on their website, so will give it a go next weekend. I assume the slices are square?

Yes they are, all our local Super U have it though we have a small cheese board and wire which makes easy work of a slab.

Seriously is my favourite mass market cheddar. Not available here unfortunately. Many prefer the Extra Mature in that line even over their Vintage one.

Regardless of whether it’s a lait cru whatever or a cheese from Super U - it’ll taste a whole lot better if you take it out of the fridge at least two hours before you want to eat it - much fuller flavour.

3 Likes

We’ve been doing this religiously since moving here in 2018. We count it all every month in a book. and OH keeps it in a spreadsheet. She checks at the end of every year and for some reason it never tallies with the bank balance, incomings and outgoings. Thankfully, so far, we’ve always had a modest surplus as a surprise at the end of the year.
We got into the habit of doing this when we were young and had little money (only 1 1/2 pence to rub). Now we are retired, and have to work to a set budget again, it has returned.

2 Likes

Oh yes indeed.

I wonder if any others use the functionality (if available) on their banking app to categorise expenses as they occur eg food, vets, utilities etc? The tool then automatically tells you how much you’ve spent on any item per month/year etc. It gets quite clever (AI presumably) at working out what recurs and automatically categorises the item eg monthly car insurance. For those of us on tight budgets it makes tracking very easy going forward. I appreciate there are plenty who don’t like banking apps so it probably won’t suit them.

2 Likes

For a similar reason pre retirement. Enjoying ourselves a little at the moment but calculating where we might be in a year or two :crossed_fingers:
Looking to reduce the regular bills for energy but the reality is the big increases in supply cost UK. How that might look if we can settle in France.

Never knew it existed! Thanks will explore.

1 Like

I do an overall calculation every year. A very simple one - money in account Jan 1st, money paid in during year, money in account Dec 31st to check we are living within out limits. (Well actually I do it about now as if a surplus it goes to charity before end of year so can get tax credit):

Worst packaging fail I’ve experienced was buying a pair of scissors that came sealed inside one of those hard plastic packs with welded edges - impossible to open without a pair of…

1 Like