Life's small irritations

This is a sample month using the budget feature in my banking app. Each category contains lots of sub-categories, so if you want to split out restaurant costs from supermarket food costs it does that instantly. You have to be a bit disciplined and categorise the expenses (never revenues unfortunately!) as they crop up, which takes a few seconds. It then remembers the category for the next time you incur that same type of expense.

b

…and the bank will surely refer to the same analysis for their own purposes I guess

1 Like

SuperU’s sliced mature cheddar was in a different display case at My SuperU, alongside French ready sliced cheese. Haven’t bought sliced cheese before now. Found another English sliced cheddar there - British Heritage Handmade Premium Cheddar Mature…! A mouthful of a name and only 5 slices. Cheddar tasting sessions coming up!

1 Like

I always used Zippo lighter fluid to remove sticky labels and the residue. Switched over to Essence F (available in most supermarkets) because of the difficulty in finding the proper Zippo stuff locally. I don’t remember using it on clear plastic, so have no idea of its effect. Essence F works just fine in any “petrol” lighter, for those of us still cursed with the smoking habit.

O dear :face_with_diagonal_mouth:, I bought the British Heritage Handmade Premium Cheddar Mature to try it today, disappointing I have to admit and not a patch on the SuperU mature I am afraid to say, so I will stick to the original choice, disappointed :unamused:

The ridiculously long name should have been the giveaway.

You can get an (allegedly) decent mature farmhouse cheddar here in our Carrefour on the cheese counter, cut from the wheel. It’s expensive though. There are oodles of lovely French cheese of all types, as there are English cheeses, so I’ve never bought any. I think that Cantal Entre-Deux or Vieux is a very similar cheese in texture and taste as is Salers.

They’re two of our local cheeses , a third that’s very similar is Laguiole. We buy from two stalls on the local markets, both usually have five different types of Cantal, but Entre-Deux is always slightly cheaper and great value at around €14 a kilo. Incidentally all these cheeses are lait cru, which is unlikely to be the case with a cheddar unless it’s a single farmhouse one.

1 Like

Do you need to use a Laguiole knife to cut it? :smiley:

Me too. I tried all the English cheddars and have bounced back to the cheese I was complaining about - SuperU’s Saveury Cheddar Extra Mature. For me the texture is right, it grills well and tastes good. Being the impetuous type I shall go on grumbling while the cheddar is crumbling! I don’t have the patience that requires me to wait for it to soften to slice it properly.

I like this cheese

1 Like

I use one of these, cut up a whole slab when I get it and wrap it up until I need it, I don’t have to wait then.

https://www.amazon.fr/Sinzau-Coupe-fromage-inoxydable-saucisse-fromage/dp/B07SQ13256

1 Like

You don’t need to, but we do - My Christmas present to my wife a few years ago. It was designed by André Michel Bras, who have a 3 star Michelin resto at Laguiole.

The knife is beautifully balanced and you can place the knife as above on a flat surface and the blade doesn’t actually touch the surface.

1 Like

My chainsaw has exactly the same attribute…

3 Likes

Bet it makes a real mess when cutting Brie de Meaux…

1 Like

I recently discovered this product too. The reason i took a risk on it the first time is it’s Somerset cheddar. So a good bet.

In the UK i used to hoover up Lidl’s Somerset cheddar which is also excellent - it came in decent size or huge especially near Christmas and early year months. Unfortunately it’d have to come via Ireland to be importable to France now.

i grit my teeth and pay the price premium for it over the UK in SuperU. Pricing is not out of line with SuperU’s French cheeses. And this is better than some of their French types of hard cheese.

In terms of flavour i find Aldi cheeses in my preferred Aldi branch are often better flavour for same type than many of the main supermarket equivalents. I think Aldi supply chains for fresh goods can be shorter and more chance to find some fresh lines sourced relatively locally. So it seems to depend where you are.

Very cool.

I have a Laguiole corkscrew that I’m fond of. Olive wood handle.

1 Like

I was just thinking of your post Sue.
It’s those bottle tops that don’t come off that are getting to me !

If I haven’t made very sure the top is tightly shut, turning a bottle of orange juice upside down to mix it often ends up with sticky orange juice all over the place. And water, it simply pours out all over the bottle top if you don’t hold it a certain way up.

I guess it’s a recycling idea of some sort.

2 Likes

Designed to keep it with the bottle so less caps thrown away dropped etc, same as the old coke cans which drove metal detectorist mad :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

The theory is sound, but the reality is crap! I now avoid these bottles. Anyway caps can be put to other uses.

1 Like