Light switches

I’m fairly sure you will find that (in France) fixing electrical switches/plugs/whatever to a wooden backplate is considered a N0-No. :zipper_mouth_face:

A Trick I was told of. If you can’t find the correct item in french. Find it on Amazon .co.uk then change the “.co.uk” to “.fr” and if it is stocked in France it will be there.

Yes, indeed… stuff is there… somewhere :upside_down_face:

However, I believe you need to use the special SFN-link to enable the Forum to profit…

I am not sure that simply changing the country will continue the SFN link-up.

Which is why we have both links FR and UK on the toolbars.

(Most stuff is bought from France, with a few car bits etc from UK…)

I’m considering buying some antique looking light switches from the UK.

Can electricians advise whether these would be legal in France?

Must I use double pole switches?

There are no rules that would say that these switches are unsuitable for France. Similar are available here at a cost saving.

Can you advise a retailer and / or link?

French light switches are single pole - the 1G means it’s a simple in/out single switch.
But all the switches are single pole no matter what the G number.
The only issue depends on how fussed you are about the norme francais mark - unlike a UK socket it doesn’t scream foreign and no one will ever check.

Thanks, that’s most helpful.
I’d assumed that French light switches were double pole.

This is a helpful thread - thanks guys. Our switches are not great to look at, and will need replacing some time, although our lights upstairs are a pushbutton outfit with a relay in the fuse board. Victorian style switches would suit the house period really well.

Below are two links to French web sites that may be useful. They are almost what I want.

1 Like

Thanks Nigel, I’ll take a look.

Hmmm 61 euros, reduced from 80. Nice, but I could end up spending 500 euros on switches. :astonished:

The Venezia switches are much more favourably priced, and are a lot more likely - thank you. :slight_smile:

We recently installed oak toggle switches in a renovation project - they suited the house very well.

varilight-XKT1MO-kilnwood-medium-oak-1-gang-10a-2-way-toggle-switch-1-mini

1 Like

And you could not countersink the screws?

2 Likes

I think that they were countersunk on the actual ones, I didn’t notice them being proud.