Linky Meters - last chance for a freebie

Same as before, your comment back. You just keep raising points as if its something to keep others occupied. Its irrelevant the time span, there isnt one it will just happen one car at a time if neccessary. There are already smart bi directional chargers on the market, that how the octopus agile tariff works currently.

PMSL, there has to be some kind of timescale, or what is the point of all this, isn’t the idea to be saving the planet so 50 years down the line isn’t really going to help is it :wink:
All these promises about how this is all going to happen/have an effect but not a lot is really happening very quickly is it, do you think that the general public is going to be happy with the cost of all this and how soon do you think all petrol and diesel car, buses and lorries actually will be off the roads, what do you really think the timescale for all this will be, reality not pie in the sky.

Go back in time Griffin and think about the costs of building rail networks round the world, the costs of building a petrol driven car infrastructure round the world - the millions and millions that were spent - it happened. Money was raised. People made fortunes (and lost them). And all of that happened with remarkable speed. It will happen again.

That great, fantastic even, but the idea is helping the planet now and I am sorry but I don’t see any great hurry from any governments to plough the billions and billions into any of the infrastructure changes needed, as I keep asking how soon does anyone really think this will all happen, 5, 10, 20, 50 years, the clock is ticking… not pie in the sky figures, but in reality.

Boris knows as as by 2030 he has banned diesel and petrol cars.
He also has a grand plan to inject billions into battery development and such just as he found to pay for covid and what he needs to spend to dig Britain out of Brexshit.
The idea that parked up battery cars will be miny power stations beggers belief but they do say pigs might fly :pig2::pig::pig_nose:

He hasn’t banned petrol or diesel cars he says he is banning new cars sales :wink: there again does anyone actually believe anything he says :laughing:

Yes, quite right, i should have added the new sales bit.
The EU proposes 2035 to stop new ICE sales which seems a little more practical but even that date is a proposal that may well slip backwards.
Unlike Boris who insists 2030 is the end date, Yeah really?

It won’t be his problem.

Very true :roll_eyes:

Cool, once I’m compensated for my investment in the Nation’s infrastructure :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I think I saw last week Germany is saying they can’t do it by 2035.

The theory is, they would tap into your battery at peak demands, you would receive a payent or credit and you would recharge your battery during low demand probably periods over night. This is at a lower cost so you would make a small amount on the difference between peak rate selling and low rate recharging.
This already happens for people with PV and home battery storage via Octopus agile tariff setups.

I can see the theory, but wouldn’t you need the equivalent heures creuses, which has a higher “ordinary” tariff (if I’m not mistaken) to get the benefit. Buy during the night and sell back during the day. Of course most cars aren’t plugged in at home during the peak daytime slots so that would be a further complication. If you are plugged into a public charger you might need a linky bolted on to the bumper of your EV to do the accounting.

I read that the Irish tax authorities have decided that the first €200 you make selling power back to the grid will be tax free. The broke their heart :joy:

I don’t see any problem in having a Linky installed. We have one - and I also fitted an ‘Owl’ meter to show continuous electricity kW being taken by our house. I also read our water meter each month. Maybe it’s just a hangover from when I was Energy Manager for a £1Billion turnover, 200-site-company in the late 1980s. I saw too many cases within the company of huge overcharges because the local manager had no idea of how his electricity / water / telephone systems were being used.

It was by doing this that I spotted he had a leak - so worth doing.

No, because the rate paid for supporting the grid would be high - far higher than any standard tarif.

Especially if you have an autofill on your swimming pool.

You may be right, but a long timescale doesn’t mean it shouldn’t/can’t be done. However, being apathetic about, or even opposing, such progress isn’t going to help.

1 Like

Yet again nowhere have I said I appose it, I have had 5 hybrids and even a new 1983 Audi 80 that had one of the first rudimentary stop start systems.
I am trying to be realistic here and temper the EV’s are the saviour of the planet brigade who think all the implementation of the changes are going to happen overnight and everything is going to be easy, plus people and governments are going to be happy with the costs.
As I have said before, they are going to bring their own set of problems with them and glossing over all that is not going to help.
Governments need to take the bull by the horns with the environment , but I see prescious little of that happening just now.
My fear is I genuinely cannot see petrol and diesel vehicles being totally off the road within 40-50 years, most governments seem to like to talk up what they are going to go, but I think when it comes a time for them to put the money behind all the changes they are going to baulk and row back on how quickly the changes take place and by the time they do it will be to late

Who said it going to be easy? No need to temper anything. Its a process just like any other but as we move along the transition new challenges and solution come along. I am charged with doing similar sustainability goals and equipment reviews at work. We can save a huge amount of energy by changing things for the better and they are for the most part safer long term solutions.

1 Like