Linky Meters - last chance for a freebie

Right then, in Great Britain alone, there are 32 million cars, 4.4 million LGVs, 0.5 million HGVs, 1.4 million motorcycles, 0.14 million buses & coaches and 0.78 million other vehicles licensed at the end of September 2021.
All these combustion engines will have to be replaced, new infrastructure also has to be put in, new charging stations, thousands of miles of roads dug up and new cabling installed, the power network will have to be upgraded, millions of charger stations installed in houses and people will have to shell out to buy the 32 million new cars to replace the diesel/petrol ones they have and businesses will have to replace all their vehicles.
So as I keep on asking, realistically how long do you think this is going to take, and yes for the umpteenth time I know it needs to happen, but it’s a simple enough question, how long before it all starts and how long before it will be finished.

1 Like

I’ve never said that changes will happen overnight. I just like to point out the reasons for the implementation of technology that enables a better, cleaner, future. A lot of people don’t understand things technical & choose to hide their heads in the sand - I like to help them pull them out.

I’m not sure why you keep asking the same question. No one can give you a definitive timetable. What I can say is that the process has already started & it will continue to grow, in the same way that the road network used to be cart tracks but is now smooth asphalt.

2 Likes

I ask because it does matter :face_with_raised_eyebrow:, is it going to be another dragging of heels as the dates get pushed further and further back, if it does not happen in the next 30 to 50 years, is it going to be too late and ultimately meaningless.

I doubt if there is anyone on this forum who can give you the answer you seek. In fact, there is no definitive answer. Until the world is governed by selfless & enlightened politicians the rate of progress hinges on supply & demand. However, moves such as creating a national network of smart metering goes a long way to help achieve things

What appears to be the “no brainer” of expanding renewable energy (which is already signficantly cheaper than dirty & politically fraught fossil fuels) isn’t always what governments who are influenced by powerful dirty energy lobbies push forward. As I type this there’s a debate on the radio about whether the UK should make a return to fracking. Such folly is beyond belief, but the people who think it’s a good idea walk among us.

4 Likes

If you read my posts I asked for people’s opinions on how long they thought in reality this was reasonably going to take, as I don’t think it is feasibly going to happen anywhere near quick enough, especially after Copout26 :yum::wink:

Johnson merely added that he was open to abandoning his commitment to net zero and that increasing North Sea oil production and starting fracking were not off the cards.

The golden boy thinking of yet another U turn.

Did you ever doubt it :thinking:

Again, I’m not sure why you seek opinions about this here. I’m probably not alone in being a bit tired of your negative outlook, especially as you don’t seem to be against the technology.

Surely, being positive & educating people about solutions to our reliance on unsustainable &/or dangerous fuels & outdated financial models is a better way to be
?

2 Likes

Far from being a negative outlook it is simple common sense to be a realist and not to get wrapped up in a cult frame of mind that renewables will create an all electric world and we all live happily everafter.

2 Likes

There are always two sides to a debate :wink: so because you think everything is positive no one is meant to have a realistic view to anything or have an opinion, glossing over the lack of any real progress does not help anyone.
All these ideas are great but pointless if not really implemented.

1 Like

I suggest that you check out at the stats for the global uptake of electric vehicles, charging infrastructure, home batteries, & renewable energy production. There is very real progress going on.
We’re on the same page in agreeing that things need to move faster.

1 Like

Which is great, by global I take it you mean maybe the top 10 richest countries.

The point being?

You took longer to pop up than I thought you would :yum::smile:

Not so.

In theory the user can benefit considerably. I say ‘in theory’ because the benefits I was hoping to get, as I did with smart metering in Spain, will not kick in for me until a sufficient take-up of Linkys in my locale is achieved.

I was very surprised to hear this. I thought that my meter connected to Lekky Central and data - the more the merrier, please - would be available to me to monitor my usage. But there has to be a certain level of take-up locally before this monitoring system is available to me. Very disappointed. Anyone reading this in 14500 who is holding off getting Linkyed, be a mensch and please, get one. :slightly_smiling_face:

As for the benefits, if the data available to me is on a p.a./p.m./p.d./p.hr basis, as I got from Iberdrola.es I’d be delighted. I saw, by experimenting, that if I started my a/c on ‘Drying’ not ‘Cooling’ and left that running for 1/2 hr, then switched to ‘Cooling’, the peak as ‘Cooling’ kicked in was much lower than starting with ‘Cooling’ straight away.

I saved about 20% on my bills during the ‘air-con’ season, my peak of consumption, which in VLC was 12-14 weeks.

That, you might say, was a benefit to me at the expense of the supplier.

What is ‘anywhere near quick enough’? You may have an opinion on how long ‘it’ - what is ‘it’ ? is 'reasonably going to take - how long is that? - and what’s ‘reasonable’ to you may be helter-skelter or like oozing concrete to others, depending what their opinion is based on.

This odd question reminds me of a reply to a pal who was in an ad agency meeting discussing a photo shoot for a big-budget ad campaign. The product’s advertising manager was present. Most of the discussion was ad-speak and logistics. He clearly felt the need to contribute so asked my pal, “How much film do you think you will shoot?”

To this pointless and unanswerable question my pal, true to his NYC roots, answered “About three and a half kilograms”

When he told me this story I said “Lew, you have no idea what a kilogram is” “Kid. You are so right”

1 Like

They are, & in 14500. You can get to them via your EDF “espace client” or using the “ENEDIS Ă  mes cĂŽtĂ©s” app on your portable.

Thanks Badge - I’ll give it a go. But that’s not what EDF told me when I phoned the help line. I’ll update 

I’m in 14500 looking at my Linky readout whilst typing this

"Nous sommes désolés, notre service est momentanément indisponible.
Merci de bien vouloir réessayer à un autre moment. "

:worried:

My Linky is around, down and under - in la cave. Its little window has been blank since it was fitted 01/02. I have to go down there to get another b.o.w. so I will see if anything has changed since I last went for supplies - on Monday evening

I can’t get into the app. It refuses to recognise my p/w . Telling it I have forgotten it prompts a promise of an email to reset but despite numerous tries, no email has arrived.

It’s not going very well 
 :face_with_diagonal_mouth: