Linky Meters - last chance for a freebie

What a palaver! In short, the EDFista said I was very unlucky with my a/c.

Both the main EDF.fr site and EDF&Moi have cyber-faults associated with my a/c and various aspects of EDF.fr and all of EDF&Moi are inaccessible to me. EDF&Moi will not accept my sign in details. Requesting an email for password reset resulted in no emails being sent to me, however many times I tried.

Dspite coming to this page from my dashboard I got this

and this

He could not explain it and is passing it on to the tech dept.

But once again I was told that I canā€™t access data from my LINKY because ā€˜it is not communicatingā€™. By that he meant thereā€™s no quorum of LINKYs in my locale which, when the threshold is reached, will suddenly start a flow of data. He agreed that I need not hold my breath for this to happen.

The problem affects ENEDIS as well. Nothing out of there ā€¦ And they refused to help M EDF when asked. Just a straight ā€œTalk to the handā€. EDF apologies followed.

So M. EDF Nice-Guy deleted my /c and set up a completely new one, on the flat-rate tariff , which I asked him for. ENEDIS will come next week to tweak the LINKY and the ā‚¬38 call-out charge will be refunded to me because ā€œNone of this is your faultā€

Not having access to an Eng Lang c/s for this stuff does not bear thinking about, for me.

I assume that how the data gets back to ENEDIS works something like a tree structure. Your house, with others, will ā€˜talkā€™ to a unit that will collate the data and send it on to another unit, which itself collates the data from many other units. The structure then repeats itself until you get back to the server collating the data for a particular area. What is probably happening in your case is that there is no unit collating your data because ENEDIS will probably only add a unit into the system once there are so many Linkys to connect to it. Once ENEDIS adds the equipment, you will be able to see your data.

Edit: the equipment is probably added at your local substation, wherever that is. It makes sense to use the existing structure that distributes electricity to the user in order to return data.

Must confess Iā€™m intrigued to know how they are going to give me detailed informationā€¦

EDIT: seems they canā€™tā€¦ they reckon Iā€™ve used slightly less than the previous 12 months but thatā€™s about all.

Easily done Stella. Each type of appliance where electricity is consumed has its own consumption ā€˜signatureā€™. This is the pattern of what it uses when itā€™s switched on, and ongoing.

That is why I know the man in the EDF office will know exactly what time I get up (lamp switched on on x circuit and lamp-type consumption, when I have my breakfast (percolator or kettle or small heating plate for Bialetti switched on and runs enough time to heat 2oz of water), when I am out (only security systems running), the fact that there is regularly something I go out to do on Friday morning returning for a late breakfast, the fact that the house is empty each December and January, the fact that on payday Iā€™m out on the raz till 2am, go to bed late and have many extra cups of tea the following day, the fact that 4 extra people have been in the house for a week, etc.

All of this is available to anyone who can get access. Thatā€™s a lot of people and organizations, and may be the wrong people in future. This data is already able to be linked to other data which unlike this personally identifiable data, was supposedly collected anonymously (at the time) but that data I formerly gave anonymously, is now linked so is no longer anonymous. I will never get rid of Google because they bought and gathered data that tells them every 4th week I have chocolate cravings for 3 days then go on a sugar binge for 5 days and use painkillers on the 2nd and 4th of those days, usually around 10.00am. And Boris sold the US our medical records so people who use data to find out about me, sell to me, manipulate me, rob me or make decisions about me can find out if my use of painkillers is female cyclical-related or if there is some underlying medical cause.

Most of the above data Iā€™ve given is fictitious, but the data-hoovering and data-matching is already in use. That is why commercial organisations are very tight-lipped about what exactly they are achieving using data they collect.

This is why I resented not being given proper notice that a Linky was to be installed and, coming upon the engineer installing it (ours is on the roadside), then seeing the letter that had only just arrived and being lied to by the engineer installing it that I had no right to refuse to have a Linky, I got a bit pu.$$ed off. It should not be required in order to use a basic service, to share personal data without extreme guarantees of anonymity.

Apologies for rant

2 Likes

It would come under the quite heavy EU, GDPR regulations though and you have a right to inspect the information.

Only as pure data Corona, the bigger looming issue is the amount of linking across sources thatā€™s already going on. And purposes required to be declared are flexibly, but not specifically, defined. And do not include many further benefis that are gained.

Badger has already ecplained how and why, its for the bigger picture and energy use lowering our requirements, the various grifs will already show when most people are doing what like first kettle firing of the day. Even this post is being monitored and probably via the facebook page as well.

Ah wellā€¦ at the moment, Linky are teasing me by asking if I want to knowā€¦ then telling me I canā€™t.

Not that Iā€™m worried particularlyā€¦ but I do try and control/reduce elect consumption and I suppose I was hoping for a pat on the backā€¦ :rofl: :rofl: not a chanceā€¦ :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Stella they know and have the data even if they arenā€™t giving it to you.

With the old meters, much less was possible.