Liz Truss (as we all knew since cheesegate) is an idiot

2 Likes

plesae stop making me laugh…

if you had a UK mortgage right now @Stella you’d cry… :wink:

Phew, a friend has a 5-year fixed rate… but heaven knows what will happen after that…

https://m.facebook.com/AskAudreylike/videos/invitation-for-liz-truss/650790509800526/

Wow.
Even the FT (the Financial Times) has “lost it” now.
(Plus I thought you’d all like a change from The Guardian :wink: )

One of the FT writers must have had to get permission from their Editor to write this which landed in my intray this evening :

" In the space of a month the new Prime Minister and her government have made economic decisions that ended up shafting sterling, forcing the Bank of England to do a temporary volte-face on quantitative tightening [ monetary easing ie the UK government tried to stop printing money but thanks to Truss & KK now can’t stop] , and attracting the attention of the International Monetary Fund ".

In decades of reading the FT on and off, I’ve never seen them write anything like this.

Though my partner said there were 2 times under a Labour Government when the UK ‘attracted the attention of’ the IMF. Tories 1, Labour 2. So 1 more time to go, Liz.

2 Likes

This depends what is meant by ‘attracted the attention’ of the IMF. I can only recall one financial intervention, in 1976, under a minority Labour government reeling from the shocking resignation of it’s Prime Minister (on health grounds) - it was a huge political crisis but it turned out not an economic one at all - the chancellor at the time - Denis Healey - subsequently found that the government borrowing forecasts were huge overestimates, and repaid the loan almost immediately. Moreover, the real economic origins of the problems lay out of the government’s control, in the oil price shock, and the mess made by the previous Tory government (the 3-day-week, power cuts, etc - those images of the 1970s the UK media has ever since tried to associate with Labour and the Unions, but which in fact were down to the Tories).

The IMF has intervened verbally on more occasions subsequently, but to my knowledge they were all under Tory governments:
1985 - after Thatcher had halved the value of the pound against the dollar
1992 - ‘Black Wednesday’ (under the Major government)
2016 - Brexit - 28% fall in the pound (Cameron government)
2022…

3 Likes

Thanks @Geof_Cox . That all rang a bell with me and I went off to check my facts only to discover that you had beaten me to it :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

sadly, it won’t happen - neither the debate nor the GE

She was absolutely right to kick start the economy. Up would have been better.

This from the Daily Mail. Extraordinary!!!

If the PM does not change course she’ll consign her party to oblivion DAN HODGES: If Liz Truss does not change course on Wednesday, she'll consign the Tories to oblivion | Daily Mail Online via https://dailym.ai/android

1 Like

This is particularly relevant to the mortgage scenario…
I still remember the Tory wipe-out when Tony Blair’s New Labour swept to power

1 Like

Ahh yes, the foreign secretary who confused the baltic states with the balkans when meeting Lavrov prior to the war.
Perfect Prime ministerial choice.
At least my sons who are struggling to pay both energy bills and mortgages now, will hardly notice the extra tax burden of bailing out my pension provider too.

Well she did say she was ready “to hit the ground from day one” :grin:

TELEMMGLPICT000303482735_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqzZqOgOJXOqkE_ZaqGDwVPFhXNjaUnNaUXGKEugWk4DA

2 Likes

and it was a monumental splat… even the dead cat bounced but dizzy Lizzy just didn’t :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’ve just watched her being interviewed by Laura Keunssberg on the BBC. It wasn’t a challenging interview at all, but Truss didn’t come across as convincing at all. She’s doubling down on her mini budget, and thinks the only thing wrong with it is that they didn’t “lay the ground” (she kept repeating that phrase… It’s clearly the line they’re going for today) although she wasn’t actually challenged on what she would do differently.

As expected, according to Truss this is all a global issue not just affecting the UK, and the market reacting immediately after their mini budget announcement was just coincidence… It’s all the fault of Putin really.

One interesting thing is she threw Kwarteng under a bus by saying the cabinet weren’t told of the top rate tax being abolished as it was purely Kwarteng’s decision to do so. I think she’s already trying to distance herself from that one because she knows it’s so unpopular amongst the electorate and even some of her own party.

1 Like

At what cost?

ahhh… “kiss me quick Laura” - about as useful as a soggy moggy at in-depth interviews :roll_eyes:
Should have chosen one of the local BBC radio station interviewers to filet her as they did during the week.

4 Likes

pension providers actually in many casee will benefit from this.