Log burner installation - Hanc (Poitou-Charantes)

Hi, does anyone have a contact for a log burner installer?
I’ll be purchasing the burner in the UK but need a qualified person to install it and the flue. Preferably English speaking as I’m still a bit rusty on the `French language front…
Thanks!

This chap was excellent:

Mark Wilkinson mpw2912@googlemail.com

Hi Mat, thanks very much, I’ve emailed Mark.
Cheers.

I have had my log burner (poelle a bois) for 6 years. Yesterday I had a different chimney sweep (ramoneur) and he said I was not in conformity with the law as I do not have a dedicated air intake, i.e. a hole in the wall as close to the log-burner as possible. This was a big surprise. I looked it up on the internet and also consulted a friend in the building business, and the sweep is right. So everyone with a log burner must have a dedicated air intake otherwise any insurance claim due to a chimney/house fire will be refused.

Over the years, I have helped-with/ been involved-in a couple of major Insurance Claims re Fire… and the fresh-air question was not raised in either situation.

However, I understand that dedicated fresh-air IS mandatory in all NEW installations…

and it is “recommended” for existing situations, to avoid the disadvantages of an indoor air intake. . :thinking:

If it does, eventually, become mandatory for all old/existing installations… such information will be readily available and financial help will be given to those on low-incomes… :wink:

Insurance companies cannot refuse cover to existing installations, provided that the Installation conformed with the law in place at that time…

So, whilst it is a good idea to ensure suitable ventilation for an old fire, there is no need to panic. :relaxed:

I’m relieved to read that, Stella. But our poêle à bois was installed in 2016 by a very reputable and conscientious local heating business. No additional new air intake was installed, nor mentioned as necessary at the time. The house is 19th century and of granite construction and with many large shuttered wood-framed windows that permit thorough through ventilation, or so it seems to me.

I’m not sure whether our burner would fall into the new installation category, do you?

Hi Peter… as you say… your installation was done by a v reputable/conscientious local heating business. I see no reason why they would NOT have conformed with the normes…if they did not install the “fresh-air thingy” then it was not called for in those days… but, if you have any qualms, why not speak with them… they will probably advise you to ensure that the room is not hermetically sealed… :thinking: which is good advice in almost any situation…

On the face of things… I would say you are safe to “light that fire”…

Hmmm, well that has probably stymied my plan to heat the space above the garage when I convert it to large TV room/man cave.

Back to the drawing board.

It’s a long term plan anyway.

:roll_eyes::grin::thinking: chances are the “normes” will have changed again, by the time you get around to doing anything over the garage… :roll_eyes::thinking::hushed::wink:

1 Like

This talk of Fresh-air… highlights a very important point with installations…

French qualified/certified installers will be abreast of all the normes… and will ensure that their work conforms.

“Others” may well not be as up-to-date as they need to be… and what is OK in one country is not necessarily OK in another… :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

Just get a much bigger inefficient TV that puts out lots of heat = problem solved!

The plan is the biggest TV I can afford+get into the loft space - which probably means a 75 or 82 inch screen at today’s prices.

The ones I can find that don’t blow my wallet apart run to about 200-250W consumption which isn’t going to heat all that much air.

:relaxed::relaxed::relaxed: you will need ventilation anyway, if the loft space is to be “for habitation”… :thinking::thinking::thinking:

I’ll need to look at that, it’s all pretty well ventilated at present, more like an upstairs room than a loft - I will probably need to put a Velux in for some natural light anyway (does that need Mairie approval?).

As I said - it’s a long term plan and I doubt I’ll even start within the next 2-3 years.

Paul… yes, a velux will need you to pop into the Mairie… probably for a Permit for “work which does not need permission”… sounds daft, but there it is. In some places Velux are NOT allowed… but fingers crossed ok in your area…

At that point in time, “they” will taken on board that the loft-space is now to be used as a room… which will increase the property taxes… (unless the dimensions were already counted as habitable in the scheme of things…)

also, they will probably/possibly want to ensure the safety of the space (not a fire-trap) etc etc…

but nothing is insurmountable …:relaxed:

1 Like

Just tune into any programmes featuring the British Government or Donald Trump, you will have all the hot air you need ! :rofl:

3 Likes

My Mairie provided me with a form to fill in. If I remember correctly it asked what size velux I would be installing. I was also asked to provide 2 photos of the roof. One as it was and the other with pencilled in velux’s where they would be. Got it back stamped for approval a couple of days later.
No one ever visited to see what the grenier was like in terms of safety etc; and no one visited after either.
I guess it depends on the Mayor/commune/department.
I do know that the Mayor prefers I keep the colour of my house off white as he likes it :rofl:

3 Likes

As you suggest… areas differ.

A lovely house on the edge of the village has had to enlarge the stairway to the attic/roof-space … which had obviously been crafted for really tiny folk… definitely vertically challenged… :roll_eyes: …meant going on hands and knees for most modern folk… :hushed::roll_eyes::relieved:

I installed my wood burner & for the fresh air flow dropped a pipe down to the cellar rather than have a hole through the wall. Look at the back of the fire.

IMG_1027

1 Like

Ok, I am ready to be shot down in flames, but if warm air rises why do you have a pipe leading down to your cellar ? It’s a serious question from someone who does quite a bit of diy, but the why escapes me.
For information I had 2 wood burners in my old house and neither of them had a ‘fresh air flow’, no problems during the 12 years I lived there.