Logic for Leave?

Hi Sandy,
Thank you for brave enough to pin your colours to the mast. I have to agree with so much of what you written as on reflection I think this too. Sometimes large organisations lose sight of what has made it great in the past and as it oversteps the original aim, it collapses. I don’t know whether this is likely to happen but like Brexit, we have to wait and see and hope it turns out well for us all.

1 Like

Thanks Catherine, I will take note as you know I have not posted on here before in any debate. I will not be entering into any more discussion on such a thorny subject as it is getting to me now. I am a peaceful sort and I don’t like conflict or equally, unfairness.

1 Like

Well please don’t let it put you off posting on other subjects! And go and have a nice cup of tea and enjoy the sunshine!
(Says she resentfully who is typing this sat on a hospital bed)
Xx

1 Like

Elizabeth, many of us who voted remain did so, not out of selfishness, but out of concern for future generations, and not just our own kith and kin.

We believe in international brother/sisterhood, in co-operation on matters of global importance such as peace and security, environmental protection, including the equitable sharing of scarce resources and the risk of climate change, both of which are driving emigration to escape poverty, and the end to global warfare.

These may be slogans to you or may think they don’t affect you, or don’t concern you; or even that you haven’t been told about them yet.

Some of the main drivers of Brexit and separatist, racial or nationalist identity are also strong protagonists of closer ties with America which, as we know views nation-states as rivals at best, enemies or “foes” at worst. America has been, in my life experience, the worst exporter of violent death and the overthrow of democratic popular governments in world history, with a unique hatred for non-white and non-anglophone populations, and a corresponding ignorance of other cultures. Not all Americans are like this, but money buys political influence in USA, and buys an obscene level of military preparedness for, and readiness for destruction.

I want no part of anything other than a wary arm’s-length alliance with America, and that is why I fear and reject any move to get closer to Trump, and will argue for and support closer Union with Europe, which rejects miltarism, rapacious neo-liberalism, racial discrimination and the harrassment of racial minorites and people of colour, and the commodification of health.

You go you own way and good luck to you, but don’t call me selfish and I won’t think you are either.

2 Likes

My children have a vested interest in staying in the EU as they all chose professions which gave them the opportunities to work in Europe. Their plans, although possible, will be much harder to fulfil after Brexit. I did not vote on their behalf, they are young adults and did that of their own accord. Having lived in both Britain and two other EU countries, not to mention the extensive travelling that they have enjoyed, they all voted remain. In my opinion people like them are Britain’s future and like the majority of their generation they saw the future in the EU.
I also take offence at the idea that remainers look down on leave voters. There are several posts on this thread where it’s quite obvious that the opposite applies. Give good reasons to justify your choice and all will be well, give answers like sovereignty or clutching at historical reasons, or worse still giving no justification at all cannot go unremarked. I’ve pointed out that my children are remainers, I must also add that my father who saw active service in WW2 was European through and through. If he knew that people had voted Leave claiming that he and people like him had fought to protect freedoms he would have stated, quite clearly, that those people didn’t have a clue about what they were talking about.

3 Likes

Hope you are okay Catherine

2 Likes

Hope it’s nothing serious and recovery is swift.

All the best xxx

2 Likes

I notice you say “sat on” rather than “sat in”… so I hope you are OK…we need details… can’t keep us holding our breath like this… :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Ha ha - yes on not in! I’m waiting for James to get out of surgery…

He got what we think was an insect bite in his elbow, got very red, swollen and angry looking (the elbow not James :slight_smile: )and then wouldn’t respond to three separate lots of antibiotics. The infection is now sort of under control but he is in today to be operated on to open it up and clean it out and will then have a drain in place for 5 days - so he is not a happy bunny. But as my neighbour always says “c’est que de la mécanique” so could be worse!

2 Likes

Sounds nasty!

Get well soon @james

1 Like

Yes, get better soon James, that bite sounds very concerning and thank goodness you are getting the best of treatment. Definitely puts my serial gripes and groans into perspective

Will be thinking of you both.

1 Like

How is Mrs Goble, Pete? Did she have her cataract operation? Hope all is well.

1 Like

No Mandy. The operation was cancelled at almost the last moment. I won’t go into the reasons here, but my wife and I are both retired nurses and our judgements on the whole process coincided exactly, based on how it evolved, especially the speed at which it evolved, and we agreed she should not submit herself to it, as both eyes were due to be opened up.

We are confident we made the right decision.

Thank you so much for your interest and concern, Mandy.

3 Likes

yes, I’m happy to say that. It is a gamble. But as I have often said here, if one is on a speeding train which is heading full-pelt towards the buffers (as I feel the EU is going) then I’m happy to jump off and decide my own fate, sustain some lighter injuries in order to avoid certain death.

I’m sure some may poo-poo this analogy but it’s the only way I can explain a decision to take a risk, in order to avoid something riskier.

1 Like

Oh no! Sounds like a good decision though if you weren’t happy with the procedure going ahead. Sending Mrs G my best wishes xx

2 Likes

Thank you, very few Leavers will actually admit that.

1 Like

Not sure I would quite  agree with the analogy - more like:

If you realise you are on a TGV which is going to the wrong destination, you do not open the door at 200mph and attempt to jump out but wait until the next station and get off in an orderly fashion.

Thanks Mandy. The experience has given me pause for thought about the health service here, especially the involvement of the private sector in the area of ophthalmics and optometry. If anyone is interested in our experience and the conclusions we drew from it, a private message would be the best method of sharing information.

2 Likes

Blimey that sounds nasty…! Will they be able to identify what bit him…???

All paws crossed here for a speedy recovery…:heart:

2 Likes

Well he’s out and we are home but it was a lot more ‘serious’ as they say in French (or rather Franglais) and I think he will be confined to light duties for the foreseeable future:(

2 Likes