Looking for rules about la Poste

Ha ha… seems like every area is different…

We have around 60 hamlets spread out over 40 km… and they form an essential part of the address…

La Poste and the Mairie are the same place…a small corner is post office…the exceptionally nice po lady, usually gives instructions, ref my address, for racommandé mail etc…never puts in the hamlet name…Theres a bit of leftover tension from tales about my being in my house, at all. So I keep very calm…and agree.

We have a problem because our lieu-dit is separated by a track which really needs a 4 x4.
You have to go onto the D road to get from one part to the other.
This does cause problems with deliveries if someone is new and doesn’t know where to find us.
We have spoken to the Mayor, no action taken.

1 Like

All these tales about addresses…add up to the reason why it’s very important to be kind and neighbourly…
My way…writing letters to head Poste office, even though mail is super matey, is likely to wreck everything…

Jane… do you know what your address is ?

Sounds as if a signpost might solve the problem…

Your situation does sound bizarre… I’ve never written to the Head PO… so you are one up on me…

I think there is more to this than meets the eye… I can almost foresee a book/play/film of this saga… in years to come… a sort of follow-up the The Lady in the Van…perhaps… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::crazy_face::hugs::hugs::hugs:

In the Village itself… there are 6 roads with no road names/number, no house names or numbers… everyone is just…

Mr so and so
le bourg (the village)
76500 St Winnie the Pooh

1 Like

Our house is “first house on the left after the hamlet sign”, and seems to work. Our postman is a great person, leaving things round the back for us rather than leaving bits of paper and making us go to the post office to collect them.

Only problem we’ve had was that I was told off by a replacement postwoman because our box is not “aux normes” basically because it’s a home made one with a lift up lid. She said that she could refuse to deliver letters to it… I decided that she must be having a bad day, so we’ve not bothered to change it. We still get post.

1 Like

It’s just struck me… @anon78757855 What address shows on your Taxe Foncière bill and your other official stuff…

If the Taxe Foncière folk don’t have the address right… who will, I wonder…

1 Like

Hahahahaha!!! Exactly right! That lady is me!! I had to find a clip of the movie…never heard of it before! There has been an ongoing … situation…for years! I think…old ladies living alone, too long, with cats, in France, were usually rounded up as witches…but really…making a big effort now to be be super matey…this place used to be a bird sanctuary, as well as 50 different kinds of industrial site, it needs to shine!!!

Why did l never think of that…and on the notary deeds…off to check now…

Stella, there is a signpost to one part as you come up from the village.
That does not go to our part.
You have to go up to the main road, turn left and left again.
There is a sign.
Of course we know our address.
When we bought the house we were at Les Tetes, now that has changed and we are half of Aux Tetes.

The keys to commercially available boxes are “universal” - well, I assume that it is a master key system so that larger items can be placed in the boxes by La Poste (or the various couriers).

I was slightly surprised that yesterday’s delivery went into a small enough parcel to fit but it was clear that the dimensions of the Amazon box had basically been chosen to fit exactly in the post box.

This might be the reason you postmistress is a little flummoxed by your DIY box.

Sympathise with the problems of having no address - when we moved into our current house in the UK it was a new build and it was a while before a house number and post code was allocated - it was an absolute nightmare to get anything delivered - “no post code” = “doesn’t exist” basically (actually, forget delivery, we couldn’t even order stuff).

2 Likes

Absolutely everybody, apart from the Poste, agrees! My address is exactly as I , and all official bods, dating back to Napoleon, agree! It’s on the house deeds and the only difference seems to be that sometimes the lieu dit is the hamlet, and sometimes the mill itself.
I think I’ll try to shake up the PO a bit, once more… :grin:

That’s a way to vent…
I’ve seen before… something not quite perfectly ok, with the boite…

I will never laugh again…all this stuff with torching Paris and yellow vests etc…could have begun with a boite a lettres…2 CMS too small or similar…

Our has no lock and it is bigger than standard, so no problem for anyone to put things in it…and it’s much more attractive than a metal box. I’m standing my ground.

I used to work in housing construction in the UK, and fields don’t have postcodes…so it could take a long while to get something allocated. Which reminds me of a major bugbear that I failed to resolve which was to persuade housing developers to use locally relevant names for the new streets rather than an endless list of willow walks and shakespeare drives.

1 Like

I had an issue with that too. They put the full address (Chez . . ., Lieu Dit Montermenoux, 16490 Ambernac) on the envelope but on the etiquette it just says Chez . . ., 16490 Ambernac.
Then I realised that the old address only ever had "Le Bourg, Nieuil and not the house name. We have it a name because there are 10 streets called “Le Bourg” in Nieuil!

2 Likes

GAVE it a name!

My husband’s great grandfather was the last blacksmith in his town so my bil asked the town planner to consider using his name for a road. There is now a little road called Shipley Close.
Anyone can suggest a name if they think it’s a reasonable suggestion.

1 Like

Still a strange mood hangs over my lieu dit…
A different postman every day? Last one kind of …boss person…