Lot-et-Garonne CPAM cancelling category S1 Cartes Vitales 31/12/20. Other depts likely to follow

I think I’m confusing this with the new EHIC card from 1.1.2021, apologies.

2 Likes

Hi Tory, not disputing that it’s not the correct number, just disputing the fact i was told a new S1 was not needed!

regards

Unfortunately as I said in my letter to the deputy CEO of NHS Business Services Authority, it is something of a lottery if you get someone willing to send out an S1 or someone who says it’s not necessary.

I suggest you write a letter. If by link you mean an email address quite frankly they are inundated these days and it will only be read by a minion.

As you then corrected yourself Tim, I just would like to confirm, the start date @Toovey27 will be from when you reached pension age. That won’t change. So in MOH’s case, he’s been a dependent on my carte vitale. He in fact reached 65 in 2013, so the S1 Newcastle have just issued him has a start date of October 2013.

sue, did you get a reply yet?

Glad to hear that you seem to have sorted out the S1 for your husband.

Probably because the fonctionnaires would think that anything issued before the 1st of January is not valid.

I’ve not posted anything more because frustratingly MOH’s situation is still ongoing - no sign of a resolution yet. Yes, we have sent the S1 to Ameli twice, once by post, once as an email attachment. I’ll be on the phone to the Ameli English speaking helpline yet again this afternoon to say why is there still no progress?
John, do you mean a reply to my letter? No, of course not! There’ll be another one on its way to Newcastle and Ameli when our situation is finally resolved drawing their attention to the failings in their processes. I’m looking forward to writing that one!

I am wondering if, as we are still in the transition stage whether SOLVIT would apply here?
It is for maladministration for citizens of one EU country being adversely affected by another country.
It is where I first went when I looked to seeing what I could do when the French Health Authorities were refusing me access to the UK Health system on the grounds that I was an S1 holder and within the French Health system.
My case was taken up by the Commission with the help of my then MER Sir Graham Watson.
It might just be help and they might have some advice.

1 Like

DONE IT!!! At last, after at least six weeks of trying to sort this out, we have finally BOTH got our attestation de droits reinstated for a full year and we BOTH have cartes vitales that are working.

For those who may still be struggling, this is what my experience has taught me:
Persistence is key - I have contacted the Ameli online message system through my account 6 times and had 7 replies from them. I have been in touch with the Ameli English speaking helpline virtually weekly. I have been in touch with Newcastle 3 times.
Do not expect anyone in the UK - MP / Newcastle / etc to “make this right” for you and tell you it’s all ok. The only people who can reinstate your rights are Ameli and your local CPAM.
Each message from Ameli gives a different reason / part reason why our rights were (seemingly) taken away. This is where using the helpline is invaluable because it’s a place where you can query what you have been told.
The Ameli English speaking helpline has been excellent throughout. I speak reasonable French but there is no doubt being able to discuss all this in English has enabled us to progress faster than otherwise. I strongly recommend using them and chivvying them when things seem not to be happening.
I made much in the final weeks of my husband’s frailty (not strictly true) and his need for frequent doctor visits and prescriptions (that’s true-ish). This seemed to help and led to new more flexible options being offered, eg being able to scan and send his S1 to expedite it.
We may well have had two issues with regard to our cards: (1) Lot-et-Garonne being difficult and (2) OH coming to France in 2007 before he was 65 and being a “dependent” on my E121 (ie S1) because I was already 60, a scenario which now is no longer valid. Issue (2) only came to light in trying to sort out (1).
Do not expect joined up thinking between Newcastle and your local CPAM. No one on either side thought to let us know that OH was no longer eligible to be my dependent when he reached 65 (in 2013) and we needed an S1 for him. If they had done so, at least some of our anxiety over the last couple of weeks would not have happened.
Don’t be surprised if notifying them of any change of status / circumstances leads to Newcastle contacting Ameli directly and Ameli immediately cancelling your carte vitale. Neither side thought it would be a good idea to let us know and check with us whether this was appropriate.
Do not expect anyone to volunteer information as to what is happening. You have to do all the chasing. It’s only now, this morning, getting in touch yet again with the Ameli helpline we’ve discovered OH’s card and his full rights have been reinstated.

Yet again - for those who need it - this is the Ameli English helpline number: 09 74 75 36 46

Thanks to everyone who has contributed here and bonne courage to those still waiting for a resolution.

6 Likes

Glad it is sorted… well done

1 Like

Good of you to take time and effort to type all this up, very useful.
My wife is dependant on my S1 and will reach uk retirement age in two years. The take from your experience is that she will get her own S1 (I assume being on mine now despite changes from 01/01 /21) but we need to be prepared to watch out for this and potential for problems.

1 Like

@strudball Hi John, don’t rely on anyone to get in touch with you. It will be up to you to contact Newcastle and ask for it - or at least better to assume that. Who knows, by then everything may be different!

1 Like

Now I can see why you have such a problem.
Fortunately we were aware that Jim had to apply for his own S1 when he reached 65 and could no longer stay as my dependent.
The English speaking helpline was excellent and I can only endorse what Sue says about them.
However, I cannot condone the French authorities waiting for so long to inform all CPAMs that we were still covered and valid members of the French Health system when they knew that from the 1st January.

1 Like

If nothing changes John, bear in mind she will then have her own account on the Ameli site which she will have to set up - own social security number, password, personal details, bank details etc and she will then be able to print off her own attestation de droits. In MOH’s case, the ameli site just checked that this was still what MOH wanted, because it’s the same information on my account that they just copied across to him automatically.

Just had news from two separate friends whose droits have been reinstated by Lot-et-Garonne yesterday. Looks like finally the message is getting through! :grin:

2 Likes

Not in Perigueux I’m afraid. Sent a polite letter to Ameli explaining that the S1’ had no expiry dates & had a reply this morning.

‘As soon as you send the new S1’s we will update your file’ Argh!!!

Friends in the neighbouring village here in 71 are having problems too.

@Toovey27 Hi Beth, I suggest time is slipping away for polite letters. Phone, and keep phoning, the Ameli English helpline. And start getting tough. This matters! Also, be aware you need to phone Newcastle and impress on them the urgency of this - don’t take no for an answer.

@Jane_Williamson Hi Jane, I hope you are impressing on them not to take this lying down - they need to keep phoning the Ameli English helpline if the problem is this end and/or Newcastle

I have said that they should ask to speak to Melanie who will take their Carte Vitale numbers and get the job done for them.

1 Like