Madness or a new adventure - jumping straight in to a property purchase!

So back in mid September my partner David and I were sat around a pool in mainland Greece on holiday and were discussing life ambitions and it turned out that we both had a long held ambition to live in a foreign country and run a small holding. We are already very keen gardeners and allotmenters, so it was the natural next step for us. I’d always wanted to live in France but David had always had Spain in mind. But once I showed him what we could get in France for our money he was hooked. Well things moved on quickly from there, just two weekends after our discussion an an email popped in one Sunday afternoon with an amazing little 270 year old stone farmhouse with 4 barns, the original stone village bread oven, a natural spring and our own well, 1.34 hectares of pasture and a small orchard. All for €15,000 euro’s it’s in a small hamlet 8km from Ernée, Mayenne. So the following weekend we were in France viewing it and put in an accepted offer there and then. Turns out over 50 other people had asked to view it in that week and two made cash offers over the phone. But our agent honoured we were the first in the queue and had first refusal which was amazing. So my question is are we absolutely mad to of just jumped straight in on the first property we saw. Even though it is exactly what we had in our heads as our ideal property or are we just following many other mad brits acting on a hunch. The fact so many people also wanted it gives us comfort it’s a desirable financial bet. So what to people think totally mad? Or joyously bonkers?

6 Likes

Hi Brian and welcome to the forum… :relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

Sounds to me … that you have a wonderful challenge on your hands… which you are both keen to face. :relaxed::relaxed:

That is so important… sometimes one of the partnership is only really going-along with the other… and not fully committed… which can lead to real personal problems in the future.

15000 euro means you (hopefully) have plenty of spare cash to do whatever needs doing… but, take your time spending… money can simply disappear when enthusiasm gets going. :hushed::grin:

Get the “promise to buy/sell” signed asap… if not already done…but make sure you do understand all the bits and bobs about the property… it might be on the planned path of an autoroute… :hushed::hushed: OK exaggeration… but, you never know. If you have plans to build… make sure that you will be allowed to do so… etc etc . (you get my drift …)

Oh… you will have such fun… I am smiling as I tap away… so much to do, so little time… (the days are just not long enough it seems to me… )

Congratulations… and let us know how things go…

2 Likes

I bought the only house I viewed in 1995. I now live there full time and have never regretted the decision.

4 Likes

I agree with Stella. If you’re both equally committed then you will have a much better chance of success.
Good luck.

2 Likes

Excellent… sounds like you have ticked all the boxes…

Enthusiasm and a smattering of French… and you are off to a running start… :grin::grin::grin:

this link… will test your French… and keep you up to date with events etc…

https://www.ouest-france.fr/pays-de-la-loire/ernee-53500/

2 Likes

Congratulations to you both.
Make sure that you understand all the legal implications of buying as a couple. Plenty of threads on SF to give advice on this.
Sometimes ‘jumping straight in’ works well, it did for me !
Enjoy life and live your dreams :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ours is a holiday home , but my relatives bought the only one they saw ,they then asked me did I want to join with them I said yes without actually seeing it but no money changed hands until I had stayed for a couple of weeks

1 Like

Sounds Like an exciting adventure to me! I hope u post photos during the process!

2 Likes

Isn’t Spain cheaper?

Just be very careful about renovation costs which are at least double those in UK.

Septic Tanks are always a favorite topic of discussion - and like electrics expensive.

… but if you have the money behind you and are willing to work hard - you do get the sense of being fully alive as it is a great adventure.

1 Like

I cant wait to see!!!

2 Likes

Here’s what we are buying

3 Likes

I can understand your excitement… :relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

1 Like

Are you intending doing the work yourself leaving £100k for materials?

I seem to remember we were advised £1000/m2 of renovation.

2 Likes

Well at least there is a toilet😂
Its beautiful and it will be a lot of work but you have to take a step to start a walk as they say.
You’ll learn so much along the way.
My husband and I decided we were too old to do lots of renovation, upgrading our fosse is an adventure for us.
You’ll have to post pics as you go.

1 Like

What an adventure.
I used to do my french learning after breakfast.
I used the Hugo books and cd’s which are from Dorling Kindersley.
I don’t know where you intend to start, but I suppose you know that you are supposed to put in a new fosse septique before you start work.
You sound very lucky to have found such a helpful and trustworthy agent.
I am sure she will be a huge help to you.
Congratulations on your new life in France.

2 Likes

@Brian_Wheeler … I love the loo…

Jane is right about the importance of sanitation… however, I suspect that you might be able to delay the Fosse etc… until the major building works (involving heavy machinery/delivery vehicles etc)… have been done… to avoid damage to newly laid pipes, septic tank etc etc.

It will all depend on what you plan to do/build/put where… over the next few years…:thinking:

As always, most important to discuss things at the Mairie and get specific permissions for each Project…before commencing … ( the Mairie will keep you on the straight and narrow and also help you liaise with le SPANC-Service Public Assainissement Non Collectif) .

Congratulations!!! Looks like you have an exciting project on your hands and the investment is worthwhile, lots of buildings and countryside all around. As others have said, check the options for how you purchase the property - you are a couple but are you legally ‘bound’ to each other in marriage, civil partnership etc? One option is the tontine which MUST be inserted in the Acte de Vente (the time you take the keys) - it can’t even be done the following day. It must be written into the contract. It means that if one of you dies then the other inherits absolutely (although if you’re not civil partnershiped or married then there are tax implications). But it does disinherit ‘reserved heritiers’, i.e. surviving parents and siblings and children so the survivor gets everything. Might be worth speaking to a notaire beforehand, and they may have suggestions. But if they suggest tontine, it has to be put into the paperwork and can never be backdated. Just a bit of advice to consider. Meanwhile, congratulations again. 15,000 euros … wow, you got a good deal there!!

1 Like

You are both very brave or very mad but the best of luck to you both, by the way the cart is worth a lot of money so please try not to damage it and keep it in the dry until you get round to restoring it :smiley:

2 Likes

A recent article in www.completefrance.com by Nick Adams puts that figure for 2018 at €1750/m2 using French artisans and with full guarantees on completion.

1 Like

I think that this would be closer to what we have experienced - but for contractor only works (ie no self involvement)

1 Like