Mask mystery

Have just returned from local Pharmacie without an (for tetchy old me) adequate explanation for the following conundrum.

Everyone is likely to be familiar with the masques jetables many people are wearing so as not to bathe adjacent others in a humid miasma of exhaled breath loaded (potentially) with Covid virus.

I have a packet (which comes without instructions as to its use) which on the face of it :mask: seem pretty straightforward. Except that each mask has two surfaces, one is pale blue, one white.

A d they are not identical. The blue surface is covered with a soft pleated tissue and looks and feels moisture absorbent. The white surface is smooth and pleated too.

Further examination shows that one length of the soft blue surface has a turned-back hem about 1cm deep, forming a a shallow pocket or gutter that can be lifted with a fingertip. I assume this feature was included in the design and intended to fulfil a purpose.

I was drawn by the design to infer that the blue Ć bsorbent surface was intended as the interior surface, where it might absorb some moisture in the exhaled breath, and incidentally make wearing the mask more comfortable, avoiding a clammy build up. I could see little purpose in designing a mask with a moisture absorbing outer surface to trap germs, and no reason for making it blue (other than identifying which surface, perhaps, should be worn inside).

So far, I thought, so reasonable. But for certainty, and out of curiosity, I asked in the pharmacy for an informed opinion. I had also noticed that all the pharmacy staff were wearing masks blue-side-out, including the head pharmacist.

My question, mildly put, was which side should go outside, and which inside, and why were they different in colour and texture? My question was received with blank astonishment. ā€œBlue is outsideā€, was the reply. I asked politely, ā€œParcequeā€œ? " Cā€™est un filtreā€.

I said that I understood that, and that I also understood that it operated to prevent the escape of contaminated breathed-out air, and perhaps the blue absorbent surface tissue was intended to serve that purpose? ā€œCā€™est un filtre, monsieur. Bleu Ć  lā€™extĆ©rieur !ā€ No explanation offered, or (presumably) needed.

But I am not convinced, being narkily inclined, and thought of googling it, but had second thoughts: ā€œWhy not put the question to the SF community?ā€

So there it is! :thinking::grinning:

PS The upper edge of the mask (that fits over the nose) incorporates a pliable metallic insert that can be moulded to confirm to the profile of the wearerā€™s nose. That presupposes that the shallow pocket on the blue surface is intended to configure the wearers chin, especially during chin-wags, when a looser fit might otherwise allow the escape of vocalised air.

The ones I have seen in the UK are blue side out

Parcequeā€¦? :thinking:

The blue on the outside is waterproof, the white is an absorbent filter. As the filter receives the moisture the blue waterproof side prevents it from leaking out.

2 Likes

I donā€™t actually know why, I just noticed when I went for some blood tests the other day that was what was happening

We have some single use face masks from our pharmacy.
Theyā€™re as you describe, blue one side and white the other but one particular feature which identifies for me which way round to wear it is the elasticated tape which is visible on only the blue side.
Additionally, I would see the pleats being positioned downwards which is confirmed by the presence of a nose clip on one long edge.

You can see what I mean by the image. Where the nose device is there is a small hole either side of itā€¦
Deffo blue side outā€¦

1 Like

But the white filter operates to prevent moisture in exhaled air passing through it from the interior to the exterior , and this would dispose to a wet inside of the mask, very uncomfortable.

Why would the outside need to be moisture-absorbent if the filter kept moisture out? The masks are to prevent contaminated breathed-out air from the wearerā€™s lungs and air passages.

Weā€™re all wearing floral masks hereā€¦ with plain liningsā€¦ so no misunderstanding/confusionā€¦

I think its the other way aboutā€¦ to prevent breathed out air from from others reaching the lungs and air passages of the wearerā€¦

The nurse who took my blood yesterday had one on exactly like your photo. Not the plastic face guard though. I had to wear a mask but had to bring my own so made it out of an old sock like on the Twitter post that has gone viral. Probably not very effective but the nurse was OK with it and I hadnā€™t been able to buy one locally.
I will have to find that video and post it here if anyone is interested. It doesnā€™t require any sewing and is great for an emergency if you have nothing else!
Izzy x

2 Likes

Iā€™ve no problem with which side up it goes, @graham, the ā€˜tigeā€™ is designed for a close fit over the bridge of the nose. . But I fail to understand why a soft friable tissue with pretty obvious absorbency should be on the outside. The white surface seems to me to be less likely to environmental contamination or tearing than the blue.

Any more insights around? :hugs::grinning:

You want the blue side out and you should also note that the metal strip to bend around your nose is more obvious on one side which is normally the ā€œinsideā€.

Thatā€™s categorically not the case, @graham.

The masks are intended principally to protect others from contamination from you. That is their intended purpose as far as general distribution goes. The opposite is true only in clinical practice where heavily virus-loaded aerosols occur during clinical procedures with very ill Covid patients.

Have to pull rank there, me old mate.

Listen carefully to all broadcasts about the purpose of masks for the general population! :thinking:

The other way round on the disposable single use ones we have Paul. The flatter side is on the inside.

The ordinary cloth masks which are being manufactured by communes such as oursā€¦ ā€¦ are to be worn to keep contaminated breath of the wearer from reaching anyone/anythingā€¦

thus when I came across a local councillor who was not wearing a maskā€¦ I asked him why so ā€¦ he said because I am not afraid of you, Stella.
I repliedā€¦ well, I am afraid of you since you clearly do not care if you breathe possibly contaminated stuff in my directionā€¦ ooopsā€¦ seems he had gotten the wrong end of the stickā€¦

to add to his dismay ā€¦ La Poste refused him entry as he was not wearing a maskā€¦ but you know meā€¦ he plaintively mumbled again ā€¦ yes, she repliedā€¦ and you know meā€¦ and gave him a glare

(she is genuinely a lovely person, recovered from cancer and not wanting fools to infect her with anything they might be wafting aroundā€¦)

2 Likes

Not so, IMO, @ptf :hugs:

On my mask the metal strip bends much more readily to offer an anatomical concavity on the userā€™s side (blue side) than the other way round.

Test it for yourself.

You can also identify the outside from the way the elastic is inserted into the fabric. It is done so as to cosmetically conceal the point of entry from outside view, and is more aesthetically pleasing in this fashion conscious world.

I think it is a bit of both, mostly protecting others It is like the meme originating in ? Germany
If I am wearing pants and you try and pee on me I am partially protected by my pants ,but if you are wearing pants and you try and pee on me I am very protected by your pants

Yes, but I refer you to my comment re the bare-bottomed babyā€™s warm deluge :droplet::droplet::droplet::droplet::droplet::droplet::droplet::droplet::droplet::droplet::droplet::droplet::droplet::ocean: on Dadā€™s trousered lap. I know who comes off wetter. :scream:

Oh Peter there really is no point trying to have a discussion with you when you have decided you are right. Just wear the mask how you think it should be