Measles. The deniers wishes are coming true!

I am not sure whether Japan officially thinks of itself as anti-vaccination, while it is true that they do not mandate MMR prefering instead to require a MR (measles and rubella) vaccination and making mumps a voluntary extra they have an extensive mandatory and voluntary vaccination programme (which looks more extensive than the UK’s at a glance).

Their programme is documented here and here

Indeed and there is criticism within Japan about this.

As to the infant death rate - well Japan has a high quality health service so this is to be expected, though it looks like Iceland might have a lower rate.

Play around with the graph here to compare various countries.

4 Likes

It will be interesting to see if the infant mortality rates begin to rise as the measles infection rate climbs

Probably won’t make much of an impact - remembering that infant mortality is all cause mortality in under 5’s and unvaccinated individuals who get measles tend to be older adolescents and young adults.

I think the Japan Times article mentioned 100 cases - given a roughly 1:1000 case mortality rate that gives about a 9% chance of the current outbreak having registered one death.

2 Likes

Vaccination prevents many cases of measles around the world. The World Health Organization (WHO) estimate that 2.6 million people who have not had the vaccine die of measles every year.

Romania is fighting a deadly measles outbreak that has seen more than 15,000 people infected with the disease and that has claimed 59 lives since one of Europe’s most lethal measles outbreaks in decades started in 2016.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/more-romanians-reject-a-key-weapon-as-nation-battles-a-measles-outbreak-1536139801

I’m not able to read that without subscribing to the “WALL STREET” journal…x :slight_smile:

If you close the pop-up inviting you to subscribe it lets you read the article.

At least it did for me

1 Like

I read that same criticism piece before posting the article Paul…

I was also looking for Palestine on that graph to do a comparison but couldn’t find it…??? What would the country of Palestine come under…???

It’s ok I just found it…it comes under “West Bank and Gaza”…and infant mortality is really high…

Is that even slightly surprising?

4 Likes

I guess not what with all the checkpoints etc…and I’m thinking that overall infant mortality isn’t a reliable indicator of what’s really happening in a country…???

So very sad… :sob::sob::sob:

3 Likes
2 Likes

Ah Bill, there is nothing better in life than some “alternatives” to get the heart rate going. The Snowflake generations be praised. (numbnuts is what i call them)

[https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-48668841]
Is this what people want to return to?

That was sad but this report is much more worrying

The degree of hysteria surrounding attempts to vaccinate in Pakistan is alarming.

5 Likes

For those who think of vaccination as some great conspiracy between “big pharma” and government - here’s a conspiracy theory to get your teeth into.

1 Like