"Micro" camping car/van

Am I right in thinking that a small van that has been converted into a one person “camping” van cannot be registered in France? I assume this to be true because, unlike in the UK, there appear to be none for sale here.
I know of one French registered small camping van for sale in the UK which was converted to a camping van in the UK after being registered in France; presumably this vehicle could not be driven legally in France.
Does anyone have any personal knowledge about this topic, please?

I have french friends who have one, and recently sold their old one to buy this one so I will ask them. However, I have a feeling that the answer will be that it is registered as a van…

Thank you, Jane; that would be very helpful.

How’s this for a converted van all the home comforts including wood burnerIMG_0680
It’s not mine.

Thanks, Warren, but I want to try to find a “simple”, small van in which I can sleep reasonably comfortably with a minimum of “bells and whistles”; and, most importantly, that is acceptable to the French authorities, preferably already French registered.
The more I look, I think the answer may well be to get a van (only two seats) in France (therefore French registered, and then buy a “fold-away” pack from the UK). That means I could sleep in it overnight and drive it during the day with the pack folded away.
Very much appreciate your suggestion, however; thank you.

Forgive my ignorance but why would the French authorites give a damn about what you had in the back of your small van? A bed, a cooker, a TV. It’s your business not theirs. A van is a van.

I agree, John, but apparently that is the case; something to do with there not being a registration category for a small “regular” vehicle which includes significant elements of a camping car; in other words, I believe there is no category in between a car/small van and a camping car. There is nothing to forgive re your ignorance…I’m in exactly the same boat; hence my post!

I’ve seen Citrœn HY vans transformed (perhaps secretly) into super little campers… but from the outside they are just the usual old HY… :hugs:

Yes, interesting, Stella. I think to feel absolutely safe in terms of the law, I’ll buy something like the Citrœn or a Fiat Doblo and get a conversion pack from UK which I believe can be folded away when driving. More investigation and research required!

Or even chip/Pizza vans.

Yes, I could imagine separate categories alright. But since one can easily sleep in one’s car I wonder what triggers the separate category. A sink? A oven? There’s hours of harmless surfing exploring category " Motor caravan,[Cat 2] also Campervan, Motorhome.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I want it to be car size.

Yes, I think it’s those other things. We currently have a motorhome/camping car but want to downsize to a one person camping van. There must be a good reason why there are plenty for sale in the UK, Germany etc but none in France.

Had lunch with our friend yesterday. He said that these sorts of non-camping car do exist here, and can be found for sale. Try camionette pour artisan, vehicule utilitaire camping, and things like that. But agreed it is less common and here’s why…

Apparently about 18 months ago, alongside the new controle technique, the french authorities started to clamp down on conversions insisting that they should be recatecorised, and safety checked as such. So may well be why not a huge amount for sale right now.

However, if you don’t have anything that presents a hazard like gas, woodstove or electricity then likely that you can escape changing the carte grise. Especially if other things are demountable.

1 Like

You are very kind, Jane; thank you so much for following up. Thanks to you and your friend, I can now research with more confidence. Thank you again, Lee

Hi - you could buy a Citroen Nemo or Berlingot which are classed as cars. There are a couple of companies on EBay who supply some units that convert the back to a bed/table with some storage. They simply slide in and can be packed into the boot or taken out completely and as they are not permanent they don’t change the vehicle. I have a Nemo and have been looking at the units - about £3/400 I think. One of the companies is near Portsmouth and sell micro campervans too - just search micro campervans on EBay.

1 Like

That’s very helpful, Caroline; thank you very much. I’ll certainly check it out.

Friends of ours down south bought this wonderful classic and converted it into exactly what you need.
Meet Hettie!

hettie4

Sleeps two adults and one child. They have used it each summer and have driven it back to and around the UK without any problems.

2 Likes

Thanks, Carl; they’ve done a mighty fine job on Hettie! She looks magnificent. I’m after something simple for me to just travel to and from tennis tournaments and sleep in. I’m not looking to travel around visiting places etc; it’s just to get me from A to B and to avoid accommodation costs. I think the “small vehicle and a conversion kit” that others have suggested is the way to go for me.
Thank you for taking the time to tell me about Hettie!

I have a Renault ‘Postie Van’ that I have driven (and camped in alone) all over France and even as far north as Durham.

It’s very comfortable for one person provided you can find shower and toilet facilities separately .

Only problem is that on cold nights it’s no fun 'cos its too cold to sit outside and (local bar aside) inside it can be a little cramped / sad!

1 Like