Midges - Avon Skin So Soft?

Morning all, our lives are being plagued by what I think of as midges - small black flying biting things. Definitely not mosquitoes. And they seem pretty much oblivious to the anti-mozzie stuff (sprays, citronella candles etc)
I seem to remember the British army smothered themselves in Avon Skin so Soft as being the only thing against the midges in Scotland. And it has to be the original.

I’ve found this on google, but I thought the original was pink. Anyone know whether this is the right one? And, even better, if you know, will it work?

1 Like

I remember Calamine lotion as being pink, used to calm down the bites. I think the colour came from the type of clay used.

Following with interest. This year for the first time ever I have been eaten alive, the bites giving itchy weals that have taken more than a week to calm down.

1 Like

Gosh that takes me back years… … and I’ve just checked the cupboard…
Ha ha… there’s a bottle of this stuff,
which must be 100 years old…

colourless clear/opaque bottle through which one can see a clear liquid…
the cap is colourless the spray mechanism is greeny/blue…

and on the reverse, there’s a full description
it’s 50% vaseline oil, 25% palm oil, 20% adipate d’octyle and heaven knows what the lost 5% comes from :wink:

perhaps you can check what the modern stuff is made up of…

incidentally, there’s a warning not to use in the shower (or bath come to that… ) very, very slippy stuff… as I know to my cost :wink:

the logo is Avon with SSS vertically underneath in a colour matching the spray thingy…
Body Oil Spray Huile pour le corps…

1 Like

Could also be harvest mites? I’ve already had my first bite - with them, yes, it takes forever for it to get better.

I’ve found an old forum that talks about this - apparently it has to be their dry oil body spray.
I do remember I tried it but couldn’t bear the “perfume”! I preferred the bites! This year, I think I’ll try it again and hope that all these years later either they’ve changed the perfume or I’ve lost my sense of smell.

I recommend Amazon.es
You can get it at boots,tesco and chemists in uk, but the postage is prohibitive.

I’ve never used it against bugs… In UK I used to use it as a moisturiser on arms, legs …

Avon SSS bathoil (if used regularly) really could keep ones skin soft… a friend remained amazingly wrinkle free … (so long as she didn’t spend too long in her daily bath) :wink:
but I slipped in the bath and was never brave enough to use it again… which is why I’m a wrinkly… :rofl:

Daughter keeps me supplied with Chanel products and I love their After Shower/Bath Body Spray…

Exactly the same happened to me thee first two years after we moved here. Mozzie bites definitely for me, large red raised lumps bigger than a €2 coin. I also got bitten on my foot and it swelled up horribly. My MT said it was probably not being used to the tiger mosquitoes. I did get bitten last night outside by mozzies about 5 times. Just little lumps now that don’t really itch at all, so I guess ne was correct. Need to search today for where they’re coming from.

2 Likes

Went walking yesterday evening, just before 9pm… our stroll came to an abrupt when we “hit” a swarm of tiny insects… which danced around the head of my companion… when I mentioned what I could see… she shrieked in panic (said some words I definitely couldn’t understand) and we more or less ran all the way back to the village… and the parting of the ways.

I’ve no idea what these insects were… OH reckons they were midges… I didn’t get bitten but I suspect my walking pal has suffered in the past… :anguished: :wink: :rofl:

It is worse at night.
Put a plaster over the weal, it really helps.

If you can do it quickly, a dab of vinegar is supposed to work as well. Also I have antihistamines in (ceterezine) in case I get badly bitten. They seem to work well for me, but they can have side effects such as drowsiness.

Icepack can work wonders…

The only antihistamines that work for me are the ones with chlorphenamine like the original Piriton tablets. They are drowsy making but MUCH better than having the sorts of swellings I get.

I’ve tried most things to deter insects and even made myself eat lots of marmite at one point since it was said at the time that Vitamin B deterred mosquitos (since disproved).

If anyone has access to a Wilkinsons, the most reliable deterrent I’ve found is the own brand Wilko one and the only thing that soothes bites for me is Wilko “Insect Ease”. The only ingredients I recognise in it are butane and propane but I don’t think I’ll experiment with making my own :rofl:

Wrong type of Vitamin B :beer::beer::beer: @AngelaR

1 Like

Ah - initially I think “they” said B1 so I tried a load of tablets to no avail, then tried Marmite because some Aussies swore by vegemite and I thought it might be vaguely similar…

Thanks Sue, but unless harvest mites can fly then it’s something else. We do get Blandford fly here, but the pattern is different from that expected.

Never tried the plasters. It’s an interesting idea, but would require shaving my chest and back. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have cetirizine, and it did reduce the itch, but left me bumbly.

Interestingly there were no bites yesterday, possibly because it was too hot and sunny, with 28 here and 30 in Bicester. :hot_face:

I’m binning my ancient bottle of SSSoft… as some of the ingredients “might” be harmful… not worth the risk… :wink: :slight_smile:

THE, best thing I found for bites was Benadryl cream in a toothpaste like tube. Would you believe it they dont make it any longer, maybe because it worked whereas most of the crap on sale doesnt. That way they sell more, yes Pfizer I am talking about you. :confounded:

1 Like

If cetirizine doesn’t work very well for you, try chlorphenamine.Most of the anti-histanimes over the counter in the UK are the former but are largely ineffective for me. So far, chlorphenamine works really well and quite quickly.