Midges - Avon Skin So Soft?

And outdoor workers, eg builders, in Florida if I remember correctly. It was to fend off no-seeums ( Ceratopogonidae is a family of flies commonly known as no -see -ums , or biting midges, generally 1–3 millimetres in length.) They’d buy it in bulk and dilute it quite a bit. I found it amusing that these big burly guys would lather themselves with it. Until I started to get bitten :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

That was nearly thirty years ago but Avon seem to have since capitalised on the unintended benefit of their product, and added sun block too. This is from Amazon.com, $45 for a pack of three.

1 Like

I think it’s been removed from the old formula… for the new presentation of “whatever”…

Just swatted a mosquito in my bathroom.

Try bicarbonate of soda in your bathing/washing water, it really does help kill any itches, works for all kind of bites and rashes.

2 Likes

I’d advise mesh at your bathroom window … nothing worse than naked flesh being attacked by biters… :wink:
and make sure some soap sits in the shower drain…

Brilliant remove yet more vitamin D from our lives.

1 Like

Some folk might need to block the sun…
A neighbour has already suffered with skin cancer on her face and is adamant she will not let the sun shine on her … she walks/sits in the shade or hides indoors…
but she is very careful with her diet and gets all the goodies she needs that way…
EDIT: I’ve been weeding/trimming on the shady side of the house… not deep shade, just not full sun… and I’m hoping it will add to my Vit D intake… just a little :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

I take a supplement :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thats an intresting thing as we need vitamin D and as we age we do not convert as much sunlight into vitamin D as we did when younger. Yet we have been a bit with a huge amount of advertising saying we must block out the sun. Then we have skin cancer and hypothesise we must block out the sun yet vitamin D and C are crucial to our immune systems so we have a chicken and egg situation, what causes and what cures.
Facinating but no conclusion to the conudrum. From my own perspective and a few others who changed diets and removed all seed oils manufactured oils and margarines from our diets. I have most of my life sun burned easily be fair skinned, I was the calamine lotion kid! Now since 2 years ago I actually tanned. I dont go stupid but its a complete change from prior. The same result from others. An interesting situation.

I listened to a phD doctor studying vitamin D and she said it also uses magnesium in our bodies so possibly leaving us low in magnesium so a little care should be taken.

Yes, good advice. The endocrinologist that whipped out my thyroid a few years ago put me on a megablaster vitamin D course at the time. Maybe I should pay her a repeat visit.

Ah well… for my friend it’s a double goody… no sun so as to avoid a repeat skin cancer horror… and she’s middle 80’s so probably needing to get her DDose by other means anyway…

You really don’t want to be regularly low in magnesium. It can cause all sorts of psychological issues. My OH has a condition where magnesium (and some other mineral) uptake is inhibited. It caused her severe issues before it was diagnosed. She now has to take various mineral supplements to keep her sane.

3 Likes

Absolutely and lots of other issues besides.
https://insight.jci.org/articles/view/123182#:~:text=Magnesium%20(Mg)%20is%20an%20essential,patients%20(14–17).