Migrants to use Ferry to cross the channel - proposition

1 Like

Alternately, the French could actually police their borders instead of funnelling these dinghy enthusiasts north to Calais.

5 Likes

They are doing.

Policing a border usually refers to checking people coming in who may be intending to stay, not so much checking people in transit who are leaving.
What you mean is, the French could police the UK’s borders for it.

The UK could actually do something about its immigration policy, rather telling France to deal with the UK’s problem.

19 Likes

How do border police make such judgements when faced with people who aren’t EU citizens, have no right to reside in France and often have no ID at all?

I do not know what judgments you are referring to.
Border forces are trained to deal with every imaginable situation. I do not know what their training consists of but no doubt there is a policy that they are supposed to follow when they encounter sans papiers.

5 Likes

Ah well, the presidential is hotting up…

On va arrĂŞter de voir les migrants prendre des embarcations de fortune, on va les laisser prendre le ferry.

Yep. This is the answer. (And already the conclusion in another thread of Survive France regulars like @John_Scully ).
The UK would never have the courage to put these innocent people - and little children - out of danger of drowning. It’s up to France to show that courage now.

3 Likes

Typically simplistic idea from a presidential candidate, solves nothing but gets people talking about them.

3 Likes

Surely it not only solves the problem - it’s the blindingly obvious way of solving it.

5 Likes

Much easier and quicker solution, France offers them asylum.

3 Likes

Indeed - much simpler and quicker for the UK but not for France! (like most of Boris’ suggestions)

1 Like

I think that if they wanted asylum in France (or anywhere else in the EU, they would have already asked

5 Likes

France would offer them asylum, they don’t want it. Of course they should come by ferry but after their claim has been assessed. Need to set up a proper centre with all facilities, advisors, immigration lawyers etc. Don’t know what would happen if their claim was unsuccessful though.

They’re not asking for asylum in France! Asylum has to be requested - it cannot be legally imposed on people - for very obvious reasons!

3 Likes

France could offer asylum whether it was requested or not.

You have to wonder though why Eritreans or Afghans (for example) want to come to the UK when the biggest European populations are in Germany.

1 Like

It’s not a problem for them to go to the UK. The problem is that by not offering them a proper route, the UK is putting them in danger. France should take an ethical stand and provide a safe crossing.

2 Likes

You could say that about Greece and Italy though.

1 Like

I already suggested this days ago Two birds with one stone though with the more sophisticated twist of letting them walk across the border into UK unchallenged. It is not France’s job to stop people leaving the EU.

2 Likes

I do find it rather extraordinary that people who have chosen to move to another country for relatively frivolous reasons should begrudge other people’s moving, for serious reasons, to the country they (the first lot) have ceased to live in. Why shouldn’t these wretched people be allowed to do what many of you have done.

19 Likes