Migrants to use Ferry to cross the channel - proposition

I despair of our Tim. Why doesn’t the UK set up an asylum processing centre in Dover?

1 Like
1 Like

Why should we? What does the UK do for us apart from be a nuisance?

9 Likes

He added that France accepted 150,000 asylum applications a year, compared with 30,000 in the UK.

2 Likes

So what’s the answer then?

How about letting them go to the UK on the ferries?

3 Likes

Well, that’s a difficult question and there is no one “answer”, there are push and pull aspects going back decades. We can have many interesting discussions on all aspects of the problem and how it has arisen.

But the solution to the Calais problem is for Johnson and Shitty rather than blaming the French to man up and admit they haven’t a dog’s notion how to control the borders, that they’ve done SFA apart from bluster to do so and that measures need to be urgently implemented to fix the problem (and I don’t mean destroyers pushing back ribs or off-shoring of refugees à la the failed Australian experiment).

Bullshit is great for winning referenda and elections, but when the rubber hits the road bullshitters rarely deliver. That’s where the poor old UK finds itself, run by an entourage of bullshitters.

4 Likes

I think it’s fair comment that asking folk to pay 15 € to use the ferry rather than pay extortionate sums to smugglers… must be helpful to all those wishing to reach UK… and the ferry is likely to be safer than some of the boats being used by said smugglers…

1 Like

And the UK should just allow anyone in regardless of whether it’s 1000 or 100000?

1 Like

No Tim, how many they let in is for them to decide. But while they decide they should be in the UK not France.

2 Likes

I think they have, none.

1 Like

You can just see the UK govt or Borderforce or Police stopping migrants leaving UK to get the France if the position was reversed.

This is a UK issue for UK to take control of and resolve - and stop blaming France.

Take Back Control was a phrase I remember recently quoted - time to do it.

4 Likes

It is hard to understand why on the one hand you think France - on top of the 150 000 asylum applications per year that it already grants - should just “offer” asylum to all the UK’s asylum seekers as well, and on the other hand you seem to find it unthinkable that the UK should let them in?

2 Likes

Doesn’t the UK need workers - lorry drivers, care workers, fruit pickers?

So why not Afghans?

6 Likes

I would be interested to see figures for perhaps Europe of the number of migrants/refugees against the country polulation as a percentage - and perhaps showing population density - are these figures available?

1 Like

Granting Asylum is a legal process Tim. It’s not about letting or not letting people in - it’s about saving people who would otherwise suffer terrible fates. If you are not in danger of your life or liberty (through no fault of your own) in your home country you will not be granted asylum.

1 Like

Because a bunch of lying bastards, including a second generation refugee, Shitty Patel, and second generation economic migrants like Sajid Javid and Rishi Sunak want to pander to the right wing of the Tory party, the smug home counties and the Alf Garnett element by pulling up the ladder on those who seek a safer or better life in Britain.

4 Likes

This is the monument to the Kindertransport at Liverpool Street Station in London.
Reminder of a time when we could all be proud of the country’s generosity.

4 Likes

The UK asylum claim processing system is a mess with a current 400K backlog, adding another 100K to that is crazy.

Usually asylum claimants cannot work until their claim has been approved so this is not a solution to the labour shortage.

But the migrants in Calais are safe Geof, they have simply chosen not to seek asylum in the EU preferring the UK instead.

4 Likes